Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Henry's photo show; new cameras

Henry's photo show; new cameras

RichA

1. Nikon D3200. Light, cheap but the best value in APS right now
with its great 24mp sensor. $699 with a good kit lens, it's a
bargain.
2. Fuji X-E1, the cheaper version of the X-Pro1. Light, not as well-
built as the Olympus E-5M, and focus still not nearly as fast as the
best m4/3rds cameras. But for $900/body, a good carry-everywhere
camera. Very nice EVF. However, I still find the bodies to be less
robust feeling than either the Olympus E-5M or the top NEX cameras.
The flash brackets on the NEX and the Fuji are very fragile-looking.
3. Samsung NX20. Feels kind of cheap, ok viewfinder, glacial focus.
But Samsung has a much better presence this time and they actually had
people at their booth.
4. Panasonic GH3. Excellent ergonomics (since it's the size and
shape of a small DSLR, kind of moving away from the mirrorless small
size mandate) very good viewfinder, no more colour smearing on
panning. The viewfinder resolution still lags the Sony NEX 6/7 models
and the new Fujis, however, you don't see interference effects as much
with it as the latter. Without doubt, the fastest AF I've seen in a
mirrorless. From 15" to near infinity, it seemed like the moment I
touched the shutter, the AF confirm came on. For action...who knows?
However, couldn't take any images because some "Eddie Haskell"
wannabee decided to "ask" if he could take any. The cameras were pre-
production. I'd have snuck a shot or two if I could have. If
choosing this camera, you have to really consider if it makes sense
getting it or a DSLR, however there is still as size/weight savings
between it and something like Nikon's D600.
5. Sony's $3000 RX1 P&S. Unknown. Only copy was under glass.
6. Canon. Alas, no time to see it. I'll try again tomorrow.
7. Sticker shock. Some guy finding out the $3000 RX1 has an EVF as
an option.
8. Lots of people around the Olympus booth because of the E-5M. New
lenses were all there. The new 75mm is pretty compact, relatives to
FF models.
9. Best-looking mirrorless lenses: Olympus and Samsung.
10. Nikon D600. More or less the D7000 body, pretty plain (if you
are used to the complexity of past Nikon FF bodies) for a FF, but
maybe that's a good thing for those who don't want to spend a fortune
for one. Besides, they can still deplete their resources on the FX
and Zeiss lenses if they want.