Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > A way to get back lost session values

A way to get back lost session values

jbeteta@gmail.com

My web application is losing session values for some reason, and it happens after an external web page is called. My application is quite big, so any major change would require too much time. My database is Oracle, not Sql Server.

Would be there an alternative way to store value of those session variables? Actually I just need to keep two session variables.

I was thinking to store those values in a Oracle table. Key would be SessionID. I read that SessionID keeps its value even after other session variables are recycled or lost, but I'm not complete sure.

I was planning to put a function on each page, on Page_Load mewthod, checking if session variable is still there. If not, then go to Oracle table and retrieve it.

Something like:

If Session("MyVariable") Is dbNull.Value Then
Seek it on Oracle table, using SessionID as Key, and assign to variable Var
Session("MyVariable") = Var
End If

Do you think it would be OK? Can I trust SessionID?

Brian Cryer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My web application is losing session values for some reason, and it
> happens after an external web page is called. My application is quite big,
> so any major change would require too much time. My database is Oracle,
> not Sql Server.
>
> Would be there an alternative way to store value of those session
> variables? Actually I just need to keep two session variables.

<snip>

The obvious reason for losing session variables is that you are storing
sessions in-proc and your application is recycling. So, on the assumption
that you are using in-proc (the default) I would change to state server.
Details here:
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/mswinsw...sion_store.htm

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

gourmetkingsudbury@hotmail.com

Why not store them in cookies? they wouldn't expire unless you give them an expiration date

Mike Lalonde / Kat Lalonde
Sudbury, Ontario
Jumlers.com catering

Brian Cryer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why not store them in cookies? they wouldn't expire unless you give them
> an expiration date

Be aware that there are issues with using cookies:
1. Cookies limit the amount of data you can store - although they are fine
for small amounts of data.
2. If they know what they are doing then cookies can be read by the user -
although again this might or might not be an issue.
3. If someone is keen enough then I think they can modify the value of a
cookie, which then means that you need to verify that the value is legit.
4. If the website is in Europe then you ought to worry about the (daft) EU
cookie law.

I'm not anti cookies. They have their uses and it is good to be aware of
them.

Better would be for the OP to identify why session data is being lost.
However I expect we will never know because it doesn't look like the OP is
responding.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Session variable values are lost when navigate from one page to ot =?Utf-8?B?U00=?= ASP .Net 0 02-27-2007 02:06 AM
Session Values are lost LiliA ASP .Net 2 07-07-2005 02:07 AM
How can I send back(Post back) some values from client machine Joby ASP .Net 0 05-14-2004 04:19 AM
Re: lost session values, not Session Alvin Bruney [MVP] ASP .Net 0 03-02-2004 06:35 AM
After redirect back from 3rd party, session variables lost Alex ASP General 2 10-20-2003 06:09 PM

Advertisments