Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Who Invented What In C

Who Invented What In C

Ben Bacarisse

Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Oct 12, 12:01*pm, Noob <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> fir wrote:
>> > alright, but my question is more specific,

>> Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?
>>
>> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html
>>
>> > for example who invented this

>> > f()
>> > {

>> > }

>> > or

>> > struct S s[200];

>> dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.

> [] for arrays goes all the way back to FORTRAN

Which version? I've never seen them in Fortran and I just checked
various documents up to Fortran 77. They may have been added in'90 but
that's not "all the way back"!

<snip>
--
Ben.

BartC

"Ben Bacarisse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0.00f65a8fd31f0f41b7a1.20121013124718BST.87vc (E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Oct 12, 12:01 pm, Noob <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.

>> [] for arrays goes all the way back to FORTRAN

> Which version? I've never seen them in Fortran and I just checked
> various documents up to Fortran 77. They may have been added in'90 but
> that's not "all the way back"!

Fortran uses () for array indexing instead of []; I'm fairly certain that
was part of the language in the early sixties.

But I doubt that using square brackets instead of round was the innovation
that Noob had in mind. In any case square brackets were already in use by
Algol. What might have been new in C was mixing up arrays with pointers.

--
Bartc

Keith Thompson

"BartC" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> Fortran uses () for array indexing instead of []; I'm fairly certain that
> was part of the language in the early sixties.

As I recall, that was because some early character sets didn't have
square brackets.

> But I doubt that using square brackets instead of round was the innovation
> that Noob had in mind. In any case square brackets were already in use by
> Algol. What might have been new in C was mixing up arrays with pointers.

C got that from B and/or BCPL.

Will write code for food.

luser.droog

fir wrote:

> Sory for my weak english.
> Today is one year aniversary of Mr. D. Ritchie death,
> but my question is unreleted to that (just by chance, so I
> mention it).
> I am just curious which parts (concepts/ideas) contained in c language was
> invention of which inventor. As I see an exampls of B codes very much of
> it contains a c language concepts. Could maybe someone explain who
> invented general form of function definition, who invented base types
> (int/float), who inventet array-pointer magic, who general binary form of
> function and other must important concepst in c, in separate. Also, whot
> in c is not contained in b?

Most of these basic concepts are the same among all "algebraic" languages.
These were fairly well solidified in the early 60s with the efforts on
ALGOL and FORTRAN; and C reaped the fruits and selected a small set of
basic operations. But even ALGOL was the result of a great deal of earlier
work in automatic translation.

But even automatic translation would be useless without a reliable
Von Neumann architecture. Doesn't matter what you can compile if the
processor doesn't accept new programs.

Before asking who invented what, perhaps you should first inventory
what was unique in C. Most of C was NOT-INVENTED-HERE.

A Good Source I've found for the old wisdom about computers is
Bell and Newell, Computer Structures: Readings and Examples, 1971.
As described in the massive introductory section, the book is a
Proto-Textbook. Meaning they'd gathered a ridiculous amount of
material and had just figured out a way to organize and understand
about half of it so here you go... Filled with the details of
real machines and original papers by Von Neumann and F.P. Brooks.

And of course, "From Leibniz to Turing."
or Umberto Eco, "The Search for the Perfect Language." for the same
ideas further afield.

Ben Bacarisse

"luser.droog" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
<snip>
> But even automatic translation would be useless without a reliable
> Von Neumann architecture. Doesn't matter what you can compile if the
> processor doesn't accept new programs.

I don't think you mean "Von Neumann architecture". Nothing under
discussion relies on having a single data+code pathway. I think you
mean "stored program computer".

<snip>
--
Ben.

Ian Bush

On 13/10/12 12:47, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>> [] for arrays goes all the way back to FORTRAN

> Which version? I've never seen them in Fortran and I just checked
> various documents up to Fortran 77. They may have been added in'90 but
> that's not "all the way back"!

As other have said Fortran use parentheses for arrays. Just for
completeness [] only came into Fortran in 2003 where it can be used as
an "array constructor"

Integer, Dimension( 1:3 ) :: a
a = [ 4, 12, 2 ]

Array constructors actually came into the language at Fortran 90 with a
slightly different syntax

a = (/ 4, 12, 2 /)

and the square bracket is just an alternative which some think is clearer,

Ian

OT: I invented the InterNeil PC LOAD LETTER MCSE 102 01-11-2006 01:51 PM
want to know who invented html? Nicole HTML 7 08-30-2005 10:55 PM
Who Invented the Digital Camera Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 71 08-10-2004 10:38 AM
Who invented Jemmy? Phlip Java 5 08-04-2004 03:31 PM
FYI "Man Who Invented Ctrl+Alt+Delete Combination Retires" Boomer Computer Support 21 01-30-2004 01:08 AM

Advertisments