Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Posix call (execve) breaks mercurial?

Posix call (execve) breaks mercurial?

Wayne Werner

So... this is certainly the deepest I've got to dig into any source code.

I'm experimenting with Review Board for code reviews, and trying to get it
set up/working here at work. When using post-review, however, I started
getting issues with untrusted users - even though they were set to trusted
in my ~/.hgrc and things worked fine otherwise.

So here's where things got weird. I could call
`subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'])`, and things worked just fine.
But when I added the env parameter, I got the untrusted issues. So if I
did:

import os, subprocess

# Works just fine
subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'])

# Gives untrusted issues
subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'], env=os.environ)

Long story short, I dug around the source code and ended up at the POSIX
execve function. I've been reading the manpages, but nothing seems to pop
out at me as "hey, this should/shouldn't work!".

Does anyone know what's going on here, or where I should go for more help?

Thanks,
Wayne