Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

PeterN

On 10/8/2012 4:18 PM, Wally wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wally
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
>>>
>>> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
>>> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
>>> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
>>> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
>>>
>>> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
>>> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
>>> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

>> for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
>> pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
>> able to see any jaggies, at all.
>>
>> for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
>> the macbook air.
>>
>> lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
>>
>> battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
>> on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
>> can always swap in a larger drive later.
>>
>> i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
>> coming soon.

> That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
>
> I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
>
> But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
> totally out of reach.
>
> Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with
> software support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...

My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
important to you.)

--
Peter

nospam

In article <50735c77$0$4851$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
> important to you.)

it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

PeterN

On 10/8/2012 7:09 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <50735c77$0$4851$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
>> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
>> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
>> important to you.)

> it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
> macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

Perhaps, but not to me.

--
Peter

Gordon Freeman

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <50735c77$0$4851$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
>> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
>> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
>> important to you.)

> it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
> macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels? Netbook screens
have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
close.

nospam

In article <XnsA0E7286A6177DC9A7@127.0.0.1>, Gordon Freeman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
> >> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
> >> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
> >> important to you.)

> > it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
> > macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

> I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
> point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
> a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
> a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

i agree, but it's what sells. apple used to make both glossy and matte,
then they offered matte as an option and now it's glossy only. many
competitors are glossy.

there are definitely those who want matte, but not as many as who buy
glossy (or they don't care what they get). glossy has more zing to it,
but the glare can be a problem. as i said, the retina macbook is not as
glossy as some other glossy displays, but it's definitely not matte.

> Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels?

the retina display *is* an ips panel, the same as a desktop ips display.

> Netbook screens
> have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
> part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
> have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
> wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
> close.

that's one way they get the price so low, by using crappy displays.
some are really quite bad.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ray <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
> what you really want.

knowledgeable tech? seriously? you must be kidding.

anyone can install windows on a mac (or a windows pc for that matter).
all that's needed is double-click boot camp assistant for dual booting
or get vmware/parallels for virtualization. you can even do both.

Whisky-dave

On Monday, October 8, 2012 7:13:38 PM UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
> Wally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.

> >The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the

> >display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT

> >preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more

> >vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).

> >It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too

> >expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important

> >requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

> At this time, there is no better laptop for photography than Apple's
>
> MacBook Pro with the superlative Retina display (2880 x 1800 pixels).
>
> And you can run Windows applications on it.

It's a nice laptop for sure, but I doubt it comes under the not too expensive catogaory asked for

If you do get one make sure you go through the correct procedures for installing windows.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-ins...play-tutorial/

> http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

PeterN

On 10/8/2012 10:58 PM, Gordon Freeman wrote:
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <50735c77$0$4851$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
>>> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
>>> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
>>> important to you.)

>> it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
>> macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

> I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
> point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
> a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
> a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.
>
> Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels? Netbook screens
> have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
> part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
> have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
> wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
> close.

the best way is not to believe the VS. Go look at the screens,so you can
understand what I was talking about earlier.
BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
edits, it works for me.

--
Peter

Wally

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:58:13 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
>although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
>edits, it works for me.

I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

Wally

PeterN

On 10/9/2012 10:31 AM, Wally wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:58:13 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
>> although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
>> edits, it works for me.

> I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
> slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

I use mine mainly when I travel. I like to download files from my cards
to a portable HD. And I can also do rough edits. the keyboard, battery
and fan are on the way out. However, while it is not very fast, it
serves my purpose.

--
Peter