Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Random comment about my new router...

Random comment about my new router...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs bambam wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:k52ktc$g13$1@dont- email.me:
>
>> I can (could?) build a mean computer from the ground up but
>> networking largely still remains an arcane mystery to me.

> Stanford University are running a free computer networking course-
>
> http://class.stanford.edu/
>
> Only problem, it's already started.

Bugger! Mind you, as I recently said to a good friend, with the level of
/strong/ medication that I'm on I find it hard to form new memories. I can
remember things from 40 years ago clear as a bell but have forgotten most of
last week. :-/
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 1:44 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:

>>> You assume incorrectly. Set them static to go back to back, or let
>>> them do the nasty 169..... thing which seems to cause nothing but
>>> grief.

>> Hmmm, yeah, I thought that might happen. I've been thinking
>> about assigning static IPs but I have the odd visitor (and I *do*
>> mean odd <g>) who expects DHCP.
>>
>> Oh well, I just ordered a cheapie Expresscard eSATA thingy from DX.
>> I mean, USB3 is probably the way to go but I don't have any USB3
>> periphs - however I *do* have a couple eSATA docks.

> I ordered one hoping to put it to my port multiplier external case
> that I normally use on the desktop PC.
>
> Anyway, the thing runs hot and having it in the laptop makes a huge
> dent in the battery life. I got the one that is 54mm wide and has
> both esata ports recessed into the PC hoping that I could just leave
> it in there so I wouldnt use it.

Hmmm, doesn't sound great.

I ordered one that just has one eSATA port (as that's all I'll use at a
time) and is also recessed so I hope that *it* doesn't run hot. I almost
exclusively use my main laptop on mains power so battery life isn't an
issue. However heat is, I like to have it as cool running as possible
(hopefully to extend it's working life).
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 10/8/2012 4:46 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]
>> Damn! Looks like I'm going to have to start looking for a gigabit
>> 'switch' and just use one of the NB604N's ethernet ports to feed teh
>> webs to it. I dislike running multiple devices when it's possible
>> that one could have handled all that is required.
>>
>> Just stream-of-consciousness rambling, a break from endless talking
>> about Dotcom.....

> I am more disgusted that they are still selling routers that only
> support IPv4 - at a time when we already have ISPs performing carrier
> grade NAT to get customers online with the lack of available IPv4
> addresses.
> Its getting to the stage where the only reliable way to get incoming
> connections will be over IPv6 yet there is still hardware being sold
> that doesnt support it.
>
> IMO leaving it out is something worthy of a big warning on the box.

Yep. This thing supports IPv6 so I'm all good there.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Enkidu

On 12/10/12 01:25, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bambam wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:k52ktc$g13$1@dont- email.me:
>>
>>> I can (could?) build a mean computer from the ground up but
>>> networking largely still remains an arcane mystery to me.

>> Stanford University are running a free computer networking course-
>>
>> http://class.stanford.edu/
>>
>> Only problem, it's already started.

> Bugger! Mind you, as I recently said to a good friend, with the level
> of /strong/ medication that I'm on I find it hard to form new
> memories. I can remember things from 40 years ago clear as a bell but
> have forgotten most of last week. :-/

Maaate! That's a side effect of advancing age anyway. Why do you think
the oldies always talk about the past? It's because they can't remember
the present!

Cheers,

Cliff

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
> On 12/10/12 01:25, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bambam wrote:
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:k52ktc$g13$1@dont- email.me:

>>> Stanford University are running a free computer networking course-
>>>
>>> http://class.stanford.edu/
>>>
>>> Only problem, it's already started.

>> Bugger! Mind you, as I recently said to a good friend, with the level
>> of /strong/ medication that I'm on I find it hard to form new
>> memories. I can remember things from 40 years ago clear as a bell but
>> have forgotten most of last week. :-/
>>

> Maaate! That's a side effect of advancing age anyway. Why do you think
> the oldies always talk about the past? It's because they can't
> remember the present!

LOL, excellent point mate, excellent point. Add in four times daily doses of
morphine as well as benzodiazapienes at night (sleeping while in pain's a
bitch) *and* prn for anxiety and sometimes I forget why I went into a
particular room.....

Who're you then? <g>
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2012-10-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> LOL, excellent point mate, excellent point. Add in four times daily doses of
> morphine as well as benzodiazapienes at night (sleeping while in pain's a
> bitch) *and* prn for anxiety and sometimes I forget why I went into a
> particular room.....

However you can remember all the things you did while on the way there.

Now, on a much more serious matter. Benzodiazapienes is a drug which has
messed many people's life up. Taken long term one becomes addicted to them,
and getting off them is a battle which makes giving up smoking, or alcohol
for the alcoholic seem like a walk in the park.

The bodys tolerance builds up and then you need more, then alcohol is used in
every increasing amounts to supplument the benzos.

They alter the chemistry of the brain on a permermant basis, if taken long
term.

Anyhow that slight rave is to make misfit aware of the need to study benzos,
to be informed about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzod...rawal_syndrome is as good
a place as any to start.

bugalugs

On 12/10/2012 1:25 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bambam wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:k52ktc$g13$1@dont- email.me:
>>
>>> I can (could?) build a mean computer from the ground up but
>>> networking largely still remains an arcane mystery to me.

>> Stanford University are running a free computer networking course-
>>
>> http://class.stanford.edu/
>>
>> Only problem, it's already started.

> Bugger! Mind you, as I recently said to a good friend, with the level of
> /strong/ medication that I'm on I find it hard to form new memories. I can
> remember things from 40 years ago clear as a bell but have forgotten most of
> last week. :-/

Hell I have that problem too and I'm not on any medication

--
She got the ring and I got the finger .

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-10-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> LOL, excellent point mate, excellent point. Add in four times daily
>> doses of morphine as well as benzodiazapienes at night (sleeping
>> while in pain's a bitch) *and* prn for anxiety and sometimes I
>> forget why I went into a particular room.....

> However you can remember all the things you did while on the way
> there.
>
> Now, on a much more serious matter. Benzodiazapienes is a drug which
> has messed many people's life up. Taken long term one becomes
> addicted to them, and getting off them is a battle which makes giving
> up smoking, or alcohol for the alcoholic seem like a walk in the park.
>
> The bodys tolerance builds up and then you need more, then alcohol is
> used in every increasing amounts to supplument the benzos.
>
> They alter the chemistry of the brain on a permermant basis, if taken
> long term.
>
> Anyhow that slight rave is to make misfit aware of the need to study
> benzos, to be informed about them.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzod...rawal_syndrome is
> as good a place as any to start.

Thanks for your concern Gordon. I'm well aware of their effects and I have
in fact (voluntarily) reduced the amount that I take over the last couple of
years (as opposed to increasing it). However I still need them, mostly to
get to sleep but also for my anxiety. If 'they' hadn't banned barbituates
I'd have a choice, instead of taking two Benzos I could take one of each.
Alas....

Thanks again.

On 2012-10-12, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
>> On 2012-10-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL, excellent point mate, excellent point. Add in four times daily
>>> doses of morphine as well as benzodiazapienes at night (sleeping
>>> while in pain's a bitch) *and* prn for anxiety and sometimes I
>>> forget why I went into a particular room.....

>> However you can remember all the things you did while on the way
>> there.
>>
>> Now, on a much more serious matter. Benzodiazapienes is a drug which
>> has messed many people's life up. Taken long term one becomes
>> addicted to them, and getting off them is a battle which makes giving
>> up smoking, or alcohol for the alcoholic seem like a walk in the park.
>>
>> The bodys tolerance builds up and then you need more, then alcohol is
>> used in every increasing amounts to supplument the benzos.
>>
>> They alter the chemistry of the brain on a permermant basis, if taken
>> long term.
>>
>> Anyhow that slight rave is to make misfit aware of the need to study
>> benzos, to be informed about them.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzod...rawal_syndrome is
>> as good a place as any to start.

> Thanks for your concern Gordon. I'm well aware of their effects and I have
> in fact (voluntarily) reduced the amount that I take over the last couple of
> years (as opposed to increasing it). However I still need them, mostly to
> get to sleep but also for my anxiety. If 'they' hadn't banned barbituates
> I'd have a choice, instead of taking two Benzos I could take one of each.
> Alas....
>
> Thanks again.

I realise you are between a rock and a hard place. As long as one knows of
the side affects, I have to respect your choice, for I am not in your body.

Live long and prosper.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-10-12, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> Thanks for your concern Gordon. I'm well aware of their effects and
>> I have in fact (voluntarily) reduced the amount that I take over the
>> last couple of years (as opposed to increasing it). However I still
>> need them, mostly to get to sleep but also for my anxiety. If 'they'
>> hadn't banned barbituates I'd have a choice, instead of taking two
>> Benzos I could take one of each. Alas....
>>
>> Thanks again.

> I realise you are between a rock and a hard place. As long as one
> knows of the side affects, I have to respect your choice, for I am
> not in your body.
>
> Live long and prosper.

Thank you kindly good sir - again, I very much appreciate the concern.
Yeah, it's not an easy decision. Damned if you do and all that....

Cheers,