Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Swing hardware acceleration?

Reply
Thread Tools

Swing hardware acceleration?

 
 
bob smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
markspace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/5/2012 8:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?
>


Probably. That would be up to the JVM though.


> Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?



Probably. Neither Android nor iOS use Swing, so what would be the point?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Higgins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/05/2012 11:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

web search terms java+swing+hardware+acceleration first hit
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/javaclient-484666.html>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Pitts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/5/12 8:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?
>
> Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?
>

Yes, swing does take advantage of some hardware acceleration, research
VolatileImage for more info.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Higgins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/05/2012 01:02 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 11:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
>> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

> web search terms java+swing+hardware+acceleration first hit
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/javaclient-484666.html>


Some other sources for further information
The troubleshooting guides for JavaSE(6/7) desktop technologies.
Chet Hasse's weblog.
 
Reply With Quote
 
bob smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:04:20 PM UTC-5, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> On 10/5/12 8:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

>
> >

>
> > Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?

>
> >

>
> Yes, swing does take advantage of some hardware acceleration, research
>
> VolatileImage for more info.


Yes. It is very fast now. It is nice to get speed without the difficulty of OpenGL.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/5/2012 11:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?


Yes.

And more and more,

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ar...nt-484666.html

describes what was done in Java 6.

But I would expect the actual benefits for a typical Swing app to
be very small.

Obvious there are non-typical Swing apps as well.

> Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?


I would go for JavaFX for something like this.

Arne


 
Reply With Quote
 
Knute Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2012
On 10/5/2012 8:46 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?
>
> Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?
>


You can do pretty well without any additional hardware acceleration,
just with the speed of Swing. See my Asteroids game at
http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/ for an example. It's not at the level
of Angry Birds but I think you could write a game similar to Angry Birds
in Swing without any trouble.

--

Knute Johnson
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swing is dead! Long live Swing. Knute Johnson Java 32 02-29-2012 05:10 PM
Why not using javax.swing.event with swing? S.T Java 2 05-25-2007 12:10 AM
javax.swing.Popup, javax.swing.PopupFactory lizard Java 0 01-30-2006 09:34 PM
Swing Model Classes Updating Swing Components on a Thread Other Than AWT mkrause Java 0 05-06-2005 04:32 PM
Java 1.2 Swing vs. Java 1.5 Swing Big Daddy Java 2 04-16-2005 01:14 PM



Advertisments