Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Wally

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 23:36:10 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Given the wide variety of sensor sizes, wouldn't it be better if the
>EXIF of a photo contained also the angle of view information? The focal
>length of the lens is not really that important, actually it is quite
>irrelevant.

Yes, it would be useful to have the angle of view. But there could be
arguments on whether it should be the diagonal or horizontal or
vertical angle of view.

It might be better to standardize on the SLOPE -- the ratio of the
focal length to the sensor width. Thus for a 400mm lens on a Canon
APS-C sensor, the value would be 400/22.2 = 18. The result, 18, is a
useful number. It gives you easily the shooting distance for a
subject, thus 18 feet for a 1 foot subject, 36 ft for a 2 ft
subject... yes, 18 meters for a 1 meter subject.

We still need the focal length to calculate DOF.

Wally