Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC to iPod MP3 transfer

PC to iPod MP3 transfer

Ummmmmmm.......

A friend is sending me her iPod so that I can copy MP3s of meditation
tapes onto it, so she can play them in the car while commuting.

The filenames start with 3 or 4 characters, so that when sorted in name
order on a PC they play in chronological order. [ eg. file #1 is
aaa_Boston_Nov1_2010, file #2 is aab_Boston_Nov5_2010 etc.]

I'd like to keep this order on the iPod if possible, but I'm told (and
Googling seems to confirm) that iPods have their own weird file system,
and change filenames apparently at random.

What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?

David Empson

Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
>
> > A friend is sending me her iPod so that I can copy MP3s of meditation
> > tapes onto it, so she can play them in the car while commuting.
> >
> > The filenames start with 3 or 4 characters, so that when sorted in name
> > order on a PC they play in chronological order. [ eg. file #1 is
> > aaa_Boston_Nov1_2010, file #2 is aab_Boston_Nov5_2010 etc.]
> >
> > I'd like to keep this order on the iPod if possible, but I'm told (and
> > Googling seems to confirm) that iPods have their own weird file system,
> > and change filenames apparently at random.
> >
> > What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
> > don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
> > files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?

> It's possible that the natural order they appear on the iPod is based on the
> "track number" field in the ID3 tag of the mp3. Manipulate that before
> copying it to the iPod and see what happens.

It is. The iPod (and iPhones, and iPads, and the iTunes software for
Windows and Mac) relies on ID3 tags in MP3 and other audio file formats
to display and sort details about tracks. The filename is completely
ignored.

You will need software which can set the ID3 tags. iTunes can do this,
but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives for that part of the
problem.

Set the 'album name' ID3 tag to a consistent value, give each an
appropriate human readable 'title' tag, and set the 'track number' tags
in the desired order, then the collection can be played as an album in
the right order. (I'd also set the artist name to something sensible,
and the number of tracks per album to a consistent value.)

Getting the files onto the iPod from a computer generally requires
iTunes, but it may be impractical to do this on a different computer
without wiping everything on the iPod.

The default configuration is that the iPod is synced to a specific
installation of iTunes. Another installation of iTunes can't copy media
onto the iPod without wiping it first. In this case you are best to send
the MP3 files to the owner of the iPod, get them to add the files to
their iTunes library, and then sync them to their iPod.

An iPod can be configured to manage music manually, in which case any
installation of iTunes can manage media on the iPod, but if it is not
already in that mode then changing to it will wipe the current contents
of the iPod.

--
David Empson

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1krdwih.15w2i4z262zw7N%(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
>> > A friend is sending me her iPod so that I can copy MP3s of meditation
>> > tapes onto it, so she can play them in the car while commuting.
>> >
>> > The filenames start with 3 or 4 characters, so that when sorted in name
>> > order on a PC they play in chronological order. [ eg. file #1 is
>> > aaa_Boston_Nov1_2010, file #2 is aab_Boston_Nov5_2010 etc.]
>> >
>> > I'd like to keep this order on the iPod if possible, but I'm told (and
>> > Googling seems to confirm) that iPods have their own weird file system,
>> > and change filenames apparently at random.
>> >
>> > What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
>> > don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
>> > files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?

>> It's possible that the natural order they appear on the iPod is based on the
>> "track number" field in the ID3 tag of the mp3. Manipulate that before
>> copying it to the iPod and see what happens.

>It is. The iPod (and iPhones, and iPads, and the iTunes software for
>Windows and Mac) relies on ID3 tags in MP3 and other audio file formats
>to display and sort details about tracks. The filename is completely
>ignored.
>
>You will need software which can set the ID3 tags. iTunes can do this,
>but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives for that part of the
>problem.
>
>Set the 'album name' ID3 tag to a consistent value, give each an
>appropriate human readable 'title' tag, and set the 'track number' tags
>in the desired order, then the collection can be played as an album in
>the right order. (I'd also set the artist name to something sensible,
>and the number of tracks per album to a consistent value.)
>
>Getting the files onto the iPod from a computer generally requires
>iTunes, but it may be impractical to do this on a different computer
>without wiping everything on the iPod.
>
>The default configuration is that the iPod is synced to a specific
>installation of iTunes. Another installation of iTunes can't copy media
>onto the iPod without wiping it first. In this case you are best to send
>the MP3 files to the owner of the iPod, get them to add the files to
>their iTunes library, and then sync them to their iPod.
>
>An iPod can be configured to manage music manually, in which case any
>installation of iTunes can manage media on the iPod, but if it is not
>already in that mode then changing to it will wipe the current contents
>of the iPod.

... all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
easier and apparently more logical ?

Why then is it apparently so popular ??

Perhaps a better question might be ...

What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
Apple are clear ).

Thanks

Bret

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:37:31 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

<Snip>

> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
> easier and apparently more logical ?
>
> Why then is it apparently so popular ??
>
> Perhaps a better question might be ...
>
> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
> Apple are clear ).
>
> Thanks

Shiny.
You will look cool.
People will see you as refined and worldly.
Shiny

victor

On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
> Apple are clear ).
>
> Thanks

They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
replacement batteries are easy to come by.

Richard

On 10/3/2012 1:37 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
> easier and apparently more logical ?
>
> Why then is it apparently so popular ??
>
> Perhaps a better question might be ...
>
> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
> Apple are clear ).

Accessories, till the latest refresh a nice standardized dock connector
in a sensible location vs the dicking around with a USB and 3.5mm plug
neither of which can support the player that other devices have.

Single connector and a propper line out are really useful on a player vs
the amount of hassle to connect a USB and 3.5 to another phone/mp3 and
then wedge it into some cheap generic holder in the car.

Enkidu

On 03/10/12 17:55, victor wrote:
> On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>

>> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the
>> advantages for
>> Apple are clear ).
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
> thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
> There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
> replacement batteries are easy to come by.

iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
warranty if you crack the case open.

Besides, those things are dangerous!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On9N0D0IF_A

Cheers,

Cliff

David Empson

Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 03/10/12 17:55, victor wrote:
> > On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> >

> >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the
> >> advantages for
> >> Apple are clear ).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
> > thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
> > There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
> > replacement batteries are easy to come by.
> >

> iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
> warranty if you crack the case open.

Depends on the model. The original/classic iPod and iPod Mini have a
readily removable battery and no soldering is required (the only
complication is having the right tools to get the case open).

All other models (Touch, Shuffle, Nano) require soldering and/or are
difficult to open without breaking the device.

I would be surprised if anyone needed to replace the battery in the
first year, or even the second year, so warranty shouldn't be a
consideration.
--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <yife8b8esiko.ni86206ut3tk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:37:31 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
><Snip>
>>
>> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
>> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
>> easier and apparently more logical ?
>>
>> Why then is it apparently so popular ??
>>
>> Perhaps a better question might be ...
>>
>> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
>> Apple are clear ).
>>
>> Thanks

>Shiny.
>You will look cool.
>People will see you as refined and worldly.
>Shiny

Ah. Marketing. Which leads to ...
A joke ...

how do you know if people have a new ipad/phone ???

They will tell you.

Sad but true.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <k4ggg3$ku6$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
>> Apple are clear ).
>>
>> Thanks

>They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
>thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.

Do other products not do this ? The "how is the apple product better"
question remains.

>There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
>replacement batteries are easy to come by.

Yet ... IIRC, the ipad 5 won't fit any of those accesories as apple have
changed the connector. Again, how does this benefit me as the consumer ?