Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photo Opportunity

Re: Photo Opportunity

Rob

On 2/10/2012 9:59 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:18:22 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>> Here is the original NEF file of the Tiger Moth
>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4564a.nef
>>> How does it look to you?

>> That is much better, but it raises another question:
>> Did you use AF-S or AF-C, and did you use focus point tracking?

> At the beginning, as a trial, some of the shots were made with the
> lens manually focussed to infinity as an experiement, but it soon
> became apparent that the aircraft were coming much closer than that.
> For practical purposes, all the shots were made at Continuous-High
> with the focus set to AF-C with a single focus point.
>>
>> For aerial work I always shoot AF-C and with tracking on because I end
>> up with the target in all sort of places in the frame, especially when
>> they are flying at a high speed. So for the TigerMoth, while it is
>> better than the Mossie single shot, the formation shot and the Anson,
>> it still seems a bit "OOF soft".

> I've complained about this lens before. My first complaints arose
> after a series of shots from a solid Manfrotto tripod. On Sun, 02 Sep
> 2012 13:25:14 +1200 in Message-ID:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> I wrote:
>
> "I've forked over even more good money for the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm
> f/2.8G ED VR which lens has a very good reputation. Nevertheless I
> am not nearly as happy with the results of this lens as I am with
> the 16-85. Comparitively it lacks both sharpness and contrast. I've
> had it checked over by the local Nikon repair centre and they say
> it is performing to spec. On my limited experience the 16-85 is an
> exceptional lens."
>
> Since Saturday's effort I have made arrangements to take the camera
> and lens back to the service centre to try and get to the bottom of
> the problem. If necessary, they will send the lens back to the
> factory.

Not keeping up with what camera, when I have the sensor cleaned it does
make a difference to the sharpness.

I have the 24-120 f4 as my regular lens, this is sharp, more than
adequate for 48" wide prints.