Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photo Opportunity

Re: Photo Opportunity

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-30 15:27:31 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:05:27 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>> --- snip ---

>>> Oh! You can get to work on them, and get some out to the appreciative.
>>>
>>> I am sorting through my keepers after yesterday's local air show,
>>> "Warbirds Over Paso" ( that is Paso Robles, CA, not El Paso TX). My sky
>>> was cloudless, and the temp hit 101ºF (38.33ºC) with no shade!
>>>
>>> Here is a taster;
>>> < http://db.tt/b3lvNVRT >
>>> < http://db.tt/eOWnFTwG >

>> I envy you the weather (except for sunburn etc) but you can keep the
>> temperature. We had a high of 68F (20C) with ever thickening deep grey
>> clouds with rain at the end of the day. I can't match your lighting
>> but otherwise I will raise you:
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4969.jpg

> ...but my Ace in the hole trumps your mixed flush. I give you a one of
> a kind, Northrop N9-MB.
> < http://db.tt/U3eaNFp2 >
>
> and then there are these guys:
> < http://db.tt/jBqCnrRQ >
>
> BTW: I don't mean to be picky, but did you use heavy noise reduction?

That one at the lower left in his "mixed flush" looked like the digital
model was rendered at a lower resolution than the rest, didn't it? Not
sure what was going on, probably just the lighting being lighting.

I don't see why he should be using noise reduction much, since the EXIF
says those were ISO 200 on a D300, though.

Also, I see my suggestion of a lower shutter speed was off by a factor
of three (yours seem to say 1/500 fairly consistently).

You, at least, are shooting air-to-air for these mostly, aren't you?
Wish I could get a chance to do that often enough to get competent, but
I guess the list of good photographers really dedicated to the plane
community is long enough that they'll all be doing that before I get
to. May get to do air-to-air for a friend getting into gliders some
day, though, which should be fun.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

>> You, at least, are shooting air-to-air for these mostly, aren't you?
>> Wish I could get a chance to do that often enough to get competent, but
>> I guess the list of good photographers really dedicated to the plane
>> community is long enough that they'll all be doing that before I get
>> to. May get to do air-to-air for a friend getting into gliders some
>> day, though, which should be fun.

> I wish I was shooting air-to-air. I was down there standing next to
> the taxiway in the 100º heat with no shade, depending on good low
> passes.

Ah. Nicely done, then! (And the pilots too of course.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-10-01 14:59:03 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>> I wish I was shooting air-to-air. I was down there standing next to
>> the taxiway in the 100º heat with no shade, depending on good low
>> passes.

> This will give you an idea of where I was for those shots.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_28w.jpg >

Not much shade, lots of walking around!
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Rob

On 2/10/2012 8:51 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-01 14:59:03 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>>> That one at the lower left in his "mixed flush" looked like the digital
>>> model was rendered at a lower resolution than the rest, didn't it? Not
>>> sure what was going on, probably just the lighting being lighting.
>>>
>>> I don't see why he should be using noise reduction much, since the EXIF
>>> says those were ISO 200 on a D300, though.
>>>
>>> Also, I see my suggestion of a lower shutter speed was off by a factor
>>> of three (yours seem to say 1/500 fairly consistently).
>>>
>>> You, at least, are shooting air-to-air for these mostly, aren't you?
>>> Wish I could get a chance to do that often enough to get competent, but
>>> I guess the list of good photographers really dedicated to the plane
>>> community is long enough that they'll all be doing that before I get
>>> to. May get to do air-to-air for a friend getting into gliders some
>>> day, though, which should be fun.

>> I wish I was shooting air-to-air. I was down there standing next to
>> the taxiway in the 100 heat with no shade, depending on good low passes.

> This will give you an idea of where I was for those shots.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_28w.jpg >

Yep on your computer!