Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: [Python-Dev] experimental: Misc/NEWS included in docs

Re: [Python-Dev] experimental: Misc/NEWS included in docs

Chris Jerdonek

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Georg Brandl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> at http://docs.python.org/3.3/whatsnew/news.html, there is now
> a rendering of Misc/NEWS with tracker links and a crude filtering
> capability. I thought that this will complement the "whatsnew"
> documents nicely for people looking for more detail.
>
> Please let me know if it's useful, or what could be done to make
> it *more* useful.

Good idea. Some suggestions:

* A note at the top explaining what this page is and how it differs
from the other What's New page (including perhaps a link to the other
What's New page). It might also be good if the two had more
distinctive titles. They are currently "What’s New in Python" and
"Python News."

* It would be good if the section links could somehow be
"perma-links." They will currently vary over time, e.g.
http://docs.python.org/py3k/whatsnew/news.html#id3

* Lastly, I think skimming this list would be more informative to me
at least if each bullet began with the name of the affected module or
area (at least in the case where just one module is affected). The
issue number is less meaningful as a descriptive header. Changing
this would likely require changes in how we prepare Misc/NEWS though.

On a separate but related note, I never know where to put the various
subsections in relation to one another in Misc/NEWS (Core and
Builtins, Library, Extension Modules, etc). It would be good if there
was guidance on that -- even if to say it completely doesn't matter.

--Chris