Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: QThread.terminate in Python 3

Re: QThread.terminate in Python 3

Lee Harr

>> I understand that use of QThread.terminate is discouraged,
>> but it has worked well previously and I would like to continue
>> this use if possible.
>>

> * * * And now you've encountered the reason it is discouraged.

Ok. Point taken.

What I hear you saying is that once I use .terminate anything
following that is indeterminate. It might work on my system
and nowhere else. Even though it was working for me*before,
it was likely causing trouble elsewhere.

So, I need another approach.

The problem I am facing is that I want to run arbitrary
(user-supplied) code in the other thread and need to be
able to stop it at any time.

This is for a python turtle-graphics application:
http://pynguin.googlecode.com/

I found another possible approach here:
http://tomerfiliba.com/recipes/Thread2/

It uses ctypes to raise an exception in the other thread.
For the simple test case, at least, it works (for me).

Is this any safer or more reliable than .terminate ?

Is it portable? ie, if I build this in to my actual application
and it works for me, is it likely to work for everyone?

Thanks for any insight.