Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Why is C++ so popular

Why is C++ so popular

Brian

I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.

--
Regards Brian

Krice

On 27 syys, 11:44, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
> language.

It's multi-paradigm which seems to be good in programming
languages since one paradigm alone can be restricting. C++
is mainly OOP language and I think OOP is the best paradigm
we have at the moment.

C++ has a good, clear syntax even it's "long" and some people
think it requires too much writing. Still, some programming
languages to me look like this: q(:+05,C-/(-Ae),"hello":r)
which explains why they are not as preferred. C++ is quite
easy to read if it's well written and don't have any fancy
programming magic.

C++ is also fast, a feature that can't be underestimated.
Most programs work better if they have that extra speed
coming from the simple low level structure of C++ executable.

BGB

On 9/27/2012 3:44 AM, Brian wrote:
> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
> language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
> that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.

because it sucks less than the other options?...

many people tend to thing of things in terms of being "better" or "more
preferable" (like there is some significant "good" that pulls people to
a particular solution), but I suspect this may be backwards.

I suspect, instead, people tend to avoid serious drawbacks, and the
option the with least serious drawbacks wins by default.

historically, both C and C++ have been in a fairly good spot here.
this may be partly due to being reasonably free of crippling design
flaws (or, at least real design flaws, as opposed to people complaining
that it doesn't really follow idiom-X or fad-Y or prevents bad-practice-Z).

whereas, many other languages have had maybe a few nifty features, but
often at the cost of being seriously crippled or broken in some other
area (often denied, downplayed, or claimed to actually be a feature, by
people who endorse the language...).

usually, this is not about idioms, but rather, things which impede using
the language in one way or another (such as awkward or unreadable
syntax, broken semantics, ...), or limit its effectiveness at performing
an operation (such as arbitrary limitations, poor performance, tendency
to misbehave or be overly difficult to debug, ...).

so, most people largely end up using what works...

though, this is not to say it is perfect either, for that matter...

Nick Keighley

On Sep 27, 9:44*am, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
> language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
> that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.

to some extent its momentum, it's popular because it's popular. It's
apparent similarity to C probably has some historical significance. As
others have noted efficiency and access to the underlying machine is
important.

I'm curious, why do you care?

ctgqumgf@sharklasers.com

Am Donnerstag, 27. September 2012 10:44:23 UTC+2 schrieb Brian:
> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while. I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other platforms but not everyonehas more than one platform. -- Regards Brian

1) As Krice already mentioned its multi-paradigm is a big advantage. Even
in the same project you can switch between structural programming,
object-based programming and object-oriented programming. Of course one
would prefer OO but often there is working legacy ANSI-C (or even K&R-C)
code that has to be used.

2) My favorite reason is: because C++ is *alive* ! I don't know no other
language that has changed so much over time.

I can remember when the first compilers came out that really could
handle templates. It took quite a while for the C++ community to get
behind that new feature. The outcome was the STL and a totally new
programming paradigm: generic programming.

Now with C++11 the language recently changed even further. There are
now multi-core CPUs everywhere. And thus support for multithreading
(*finally*) has been added to C++.

And all this did not break existing code! With your newest top-notch
C++ compiler you can still compile your old K&R stuff from 1978 ...

Lynn McGuire

On 9/27/2012 4:38 AM, BGB wrote:
> On 9/27/2012 3:44 AM, Brian wrote:
>> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
>> language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
>> that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
>> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
>> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.
>>

> because it sucks less than the other options?...

+1

Lynn

Rui Maciel

Paavo Helde wrote:

> It isn't. Some other languages like C, Java and Objective-C are more
> popular. See
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html

Again with this TIOBE nonsense. Using the tiobe index to base any claim on
the popularity of a programming language makes as much sense as searching
for the name of a programming language on youtube, and claiming that it is
more popular than another because the search returned more hits. Because
that's precisely how the the people behind TIOBE rank programming languages.

Rui Maciel

Rui Maciel

> 2) My favorite reason is: because C++ is *alive* ! I don't know no other
> language that has changed so much over time.

If you are a fan of C++ because of that then you would love Fortran.

Rui Maciel

Brian

BGB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9/27/2012 3:44 AM, Brian wrote:
>> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
>> language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
>> that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
>> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
>> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.
>>

> because it sucks less than the other options?...
>

> many people tend to thing of things in terms of being "better" or "more
> preferable" (like there is some significant "good" that pulls people to a
> particular solution), but I suspect this may be backwards.
>
> I suspect, instead, people tend to avoid serious drawbacks, and the
> option the with least serious drawbacks wins by default.
>
> historically, both C and C++ have been in a fairly good spot here.
> this may be partly due to being reasonably free of crippling design flaws
> (or, at least real design flaws, as opposed to people complaining that it
> doesn't really follow idiom-X or fad-Y or prevents bad-practice-Z).
>
> whereas, many other languages have had maybe a few nifty features, but
> often at the cost of being seriously crippled or broken in some other
> area (often denied, downplayed, or claimed to actually be a feature, by
> people who endorse the language...).
>
> usually, this is not about idioms, but rather, things which impede using
> the language in one way or another (such as awkward or unreadable syntax,
> broken semantics, ...), or limit its effectiveness at performing an
> operation (such as arbitrary limitations, poor performance, tendency to
> misbehave or be overly difficult to debug, ...).
>

> so, most people largely end up using what works...
>
> though, this is not to say it is perfect either, for that matter...

Delphi use to be popular because it had a good structure when writing code.
I have programmed in Visual Basic but after a while the structure starts to
look untidy with too many programming words and so the program flow can be
difficult to see. So I'm looking at other programming languages and notice
that many seem to follow C with the curly brackets etc.
If I were to ask software companies what language the program they are
selling in written in then I have a feeling the answer would be either C or
C++.
There are many programming languages to chose from but for some reason
people seem to chose C++ maybe its the language that's taught in schools.

--
Regards Brian

Brian

Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 9:44 am, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most preferred
>> language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in this newsgroup
>> that has programmers that have been using C++ for a while.
>> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
>> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.

> to some extent its momentum, it's popular because it's popular. It's
> apparent similarity to C probably has some historical significance. As
> others have noted efficiency and access to the underlying machine is
> important.
>
> I'm curious, why do you care?

I ask myself why should people program in C++ when Visual Basic is easier
to understand?
There must be a reason why C++ is chosen when there are many other
languages to chose from.
Maybe some people grow up with C and then moved on to C++ and its close to
what they had used in the past.

--
Regards Brian

Why is OO popular? Ian Roberts C++ 5 04-20-2004 05:30 AM
Are Dvd-R more popular then the +? Why? lbbs DVD Video 29 01-11-2004 02:14 PM
Are Dvd-R more popular then the +? Why? lbbs Computer Support 9 01-08-2004 12:24 AM

Advertisments