Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Why is C++ so popular

Why is C++ so popular

Jan G

Robert Wessel wrote:

Why do I expect more from you than what you wrote? I expect you to prune
quotes, in order to make the context of YOUR post clear. (Yes, I know, some
people use that as creative canvas or "avenue" to do other things.) You are
in a PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE group, so consider acting (at least) as if you had
a f'n clue about the knowledge area, OK?

Jan G

Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Sep 27, 9:44 am, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most
>> preferred language. I thought it would be a good question to ask in
>> this newsgroup that has programmers that have been using C++ for a
>> while.
>> I did read that its popular because it can be transferred to other
>> platforms but not everyone has more than one platform.

> to some extent its momentum,

Nick: please shut up until you have something to say that someone else might
in the least way find valueable, OK?

Brian

"Jan G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nick Keighley wrote:

>>> If I were to ask software companies what language the program they
>>> are selling in written in then I have a feeling the answer would be
>>> either C or C++.

>> yes but that's just a feeling.

> Prove it. The poster you responded to "had a feeling" that, well what he
> said, but you COUNTERED with "yes but that's just a feeling".
>
> YOU, Mr., are on THIN ice. Not to be timid, I am of course saying: Put up or
> shut up.

Jan G.
How about replying to the topic and not judging other people.

--
Regards Brian

Jan G

Paavo Helde wrote:
> Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:792154042370428054.785525bclark-
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have not found an answer to the question why C++ is the most
>> preferred language.

> It isn't.

Oh, isn't that a "curious" response.'

>Some other languages like C, Java and Objective-C are more
> popular. See
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html

There is "popularity", then there is, would you date her? Are you
categorizing C++ as "the old bitch"?

> In principle,

What is "principle"? I mean, if one tried to live "a principled life", and
his "only friend" threw that back at his face, because of some measure of
success,. What is "principle"?

> one should choose

"one" often does that. Historically, at great peril.

> the language according to the problem

Shush your mouth and cleanse your mind. Are you going to run? .... What is
ankh?

> what one is trying to resolve.

Reprogramming now to Problem Solution. Please wait, while I connect your
call... Please wait.. Please wait...

> If one is planning

Do you know someone who is? You run, the Sandman will get you.

> to do a
> multi-million line complex and fast system, C++ is a good candidate
> (along with Ada and some others). OTOH, a hundred line program can be
> written in anything.

Take another swig.

Jan G

Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Sep 28, 5:17 am, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[i.e., succesfully prodded NK]
>> Most of those surveys seem to have C++ at or near the top of the
>> list. To put it another way why should C++ be more popular than
>> Visual Basic as Visual Basic is easy to learn and there is less code
>> to write?

> only until you start doing real work (ie. non-GUI). As poited out
> before Visual Basic is totally tied to Windows.

Who is this "Brian" guy Nick?

Jan G

Ian Collins wrote:

> Most software (excluding Web applications) today doesn't use buttons
> on forms, nor does it run on windows.

OK, that may be true or not. Is it important? Were you just trying to
EXHIBIT your level of skill?

Jan G

Ian Collins wrote:

> Most software today is either games or embedded.

That may be true in "some sense" or not, but did you have a point?

Jan G

Brian wrote:

> In that case what is Visual Basic useful for?

Nothing.

I remember, "coming out of industry (manufacturing)", "planting" myself
(surely) (read "I'm a ****ing idiot") into the hands of a broker:

Broker to me: "But why do you think that VB is not going anywrhere?"
Me: "".

Did that bitch try to get consulting for free? It's a lotto gang out there
in the wild. Nevermind the newsreels. "Brokers of the mind". The "the" in
that phrase is, complacent?

Jan G

Brian wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong

Define "wrong".

Jan G

Ian Collins wrote:

> In kernel land bigotry and FUD are big players.

As if you were not an "armchair quarterback".

Why is OO popular? Ian Roberts C++ 5 04-20-2004 05:30 AM
Are Dvd-R more popular then the +? Why? lbbs DVD Video 29 01-11-2004 02:14 PM
Are Dvd-R more popular then the +? Why? lbbs Computer Support 9 01-08-2004 12:24 AM

Advertisments