Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: VOIP saves the day !

Re: VOIP saves the day !

Chris Blunt

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:40 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So we have 2 x BT lines and 2 ADSL connections, one main (Bethere) and
>one back-up (Plusnet) which the router will fall back on if the main
>connection goes down. Works superbly however, today both BT lines are
>down no noise on one and a bad crackle on the other. (flooded duct I
>shouldn't wonder)
>Card terminal won't call out as no dial tone. BUT ADSL signal is making
>it through the disruption, so we're still able to receive calls and make
>calls VOIP as normal where normal phones are dead.
>
>Better than that, I have re-set up the two FXS ports on the draytek that
>haven't been used for about 3 years since purchasing the gigaset box,
>plugged card terminal in and hey presto, back in business.
>
>Brilliant.

Nice, but it seems you were just lucky that the flooding didn't affect
the lines severely enough to have brought about a total outage.

It might be an idea to look into using a dual-WAN router that will
allow you to have an ADSL connection on one port with a 3G data modem
as a backup on the other. That would give you more diversified
redundancy if something similar should happen again.

Chris

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Blunt
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:40 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>So we have 2 x BT lines and 2 ADSL connections, one main (Bethere) and
>>one back-up (Plusnet) which the router will fall back on if the main
>>connection goes down. Works superbly however, today both BT lines are
>>down no noise on one and a bad crackle on the other. (flooded duct I
>>shouldn't wonder)
>>Card terminal won't call out as no dial tone. BUT ADSL signal is making
>>it through the disruption, so we're still able to receive calls and make
>>calls VOIP as normal where normal phones are dead.
>>
>>Better than that, I have re-set up the two FXS ports on the draytek that
>>haven't been used for about 3 years since purchasing the gigaset box,
>>plugged card terminal in and hey presto, back in business.
>>
>>Brilliant.

>Nice, but it seems you were just lucky that the flooding didn't affect
>the lines severely enough to have brought about a total outage.
>
>It might be an idea to look into using a dual-WAN router that will
>allow you to have an ADSL connection on one port with a 3G data modem
>as a backup on the other. That would give you more diversified
>redundancy if something similar should happen again.
>
>Chris

Or set your VoIP system in the suppliers end to divert to a mobile if
the net connection falls over...
--
Tony Sayer

Cezar

On 27/09/2012 11:12, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> On 26/09/2012 18:12, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
>> Unlucky. At one office we have ~40Mbps [Virgin] cable as the main link,
>> 8Mbps BT ADSL as the secondary and the ability to plug in a dongle for a
>> tertiary back up. If it floods enough to put both out then we are off -
>> there is a 6k6V substation next door! OTOH using VOIP means we can set up
>> somewhere else without difficulty.

> The another problem I had with Virgin was their lack of offering of a
> static IP address on the domestic service (Had it installed to serve the
> flat above the shop)
> Haven't priced up their business offering.
> It would be nice if Openreach rolled out FTTC to compete with Virgin but
> I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

they do kind of "sticky" IP. If you don't reboot the modem(very
hypothetical assumption with Virgin), the IP may not be changed for years

Another issue I experienced with Virgin is that I always had some packet
loss on my connection which is not good for VoIP.

c.

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:12:07 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The another problem I had with Virgin was their lack of offering of a
> static IP address on the domestic service (Had it installed to serve the
> flat above the shop)

I've never found a need for fixed IP addresses and I successfully run servers
is various protocols (web, mail, pcAnywhere, RDP, Slingbox, etc.) in multiple
locations in the UK and abroad. I understand that fixed addresses may be
needed by some corporate sites that will only allow VPN access by teleworkers
from pre-enabled addresses, but I have never needed to do that.

Graham.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:38:55 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:12:07 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The another problem I had with Virgin was their lack of offering of a
>> static IP address on the domestic service (Had it installed to serve the
>> flat above the shop)

>I've never found a need for fixed IP addresses and I successfully run servers
>is various protocols (web, mail, pcAnywhere, RDP, Slingbox, etc.) in multiple
>locations in the UK and abroad. I understand that fixed addresses may be
>needed by some corporate sites that will only allow VPN access by teleworkers
>from pre-enabled addresses, but I have never needed to do that.

And with dynDNS you don't even need to know what the IP address is at
any given moment.

BE offered me a static address when I signed up and I declined,
preferring to have a dynamic one and use dynDNS.
There are advantages in being able to change your IP address at will,
but as you say, for corporate users the advantage may well swing to
having static IPs

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

tony sayer

In article <k41dil$li$(E-Mail Removed)>, Cezar <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribeth thus

>On 27/09/2012 11:12, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
>> On 26/09/2012 18:12, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>>
>>> Unlucky. At one office we have ~40Mbps [Virgin] cable as the main link,
>>> 8Mbps BT ADSL as the secondary and the ability to plug in a dongle for a
>>> tertiary back up. If it floods enough to put both out then we are off -
>>> there is a 6k6V substation next door! OTOH using VOIP means we can set up
>>> somewhere else without difficulty.

>> The another problem I had with Virgin was their lack of offering of a
>> static IP address on the domestic service (Had it installed to serve the
>> flat above the shop)
>> Haven't priced up their business offering.
>> It would be nice if Openreach rolled out FTTC to compete with Virgin but
>> I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
>>

>they do kind of "sticky" IP. If you don't reboot the modem(very
>hypothetical assumption with Virgin), the IP may not be changed for years

Yes that does seem to be the case...

>Another issue I experienced with Virgin is that I always had some packet
>loss on my connection which is not good for VoIP.
>
>c.

Absolutely excellent here, had VoIP on our office line now for around 5
months and no one dropped or shaky call as yet..

--
Tony Sayer