Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Article on the future of Python

Article on the future of Python

Dwight Hutto

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Py 3.3 succeeded to somehow kill unicode and it has
>> been transformed into an "American" product for
>> "American" users.

Well, we can all use american as a standard, or maybe you'd prefer to
borrow my Latin for Idiots handbook. But then again google has a
Universal Communicator going, so, does it matter?

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto

Chris Angelico

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> Py 3.3 succeeded to somehow kill unicode and it has
>>> been transformed into an "American" product for
>>> "American" users.

> Well, we can all use american as a standard, or maybe you'd prefer to
> borrow my Latin for Idiots handbook. But then again google has a
> Universal Communicator going, so, does it matter?

Never in the field of human discussion has there been so much reason
for so many to plonk so few.

ChrisA

Dwight Hutto

>> Well, we can all use american as a standard, or maybe you'd prefer to
>> borrow my Latin for Idiots handbook. But then again google has a
>> Universal Communicator going, so, does it matter?

> Never in the field of human discussion has there been so much reason
> for so many to plonk so few.

"Plonk" it if you want. Your homosexual ideologies have no effect on
me. Butt, back to the discussion, there are quite a few ways to
encode, as well as translate code.

Plonk it in your mouth, and let the nut hairs tickle your throat.

> ChrisA

Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Terry Reedy

> Py 3.3 succeeded to somehow kill unicode and it has
> been transformed into an "American" product for
> "American" users.

Python 3.3 is the first version that handles the full unicode character
set correctly on all platforms. If anything, it will make unicode more
alive and Python better suited for international applications.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Mark Lawrence

On 26/09/2012 05:10, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SQL? ... it's time to sell your shares in Oracle.

> Ehh, I wouldn't be investing in Oracle, but that's more because I
> think free RDBMSes like PostgreSQL outshine it. And this is even more
> true of MS SQL Server - this last week I've been researching options
> for moving work's services to the cloud, and SQL Server licenses cost
> ridiculous amounts (per month or per hour); what do you get for that
> money that you can't get from Postgres?
>
> ChrisA

Maybe true but do free RDBMes have the sales and marketing budgets that
effectively shot down Ingres?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Mark Lawrence

On 26/09/2012 07:35, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Py 3.3 succeeded to somehow kill unicode and it has
> been transformed into an "American" product for
> "American" users.
> jmf

Why do you keep repeating this rubbish when you've already been shot to
pieces? Don't you know when it's time to make sure that you're safely
strapped in and reach for and use the release button for the ejector
seat. Further for somebody who is apparently up in the high tech world,
why are you using a gmail account and hence sending garbage in more ways
than one to mailing lists like this?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Mark Lawrence

On 26/09/2012 08:44, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Well, we can all use american as a standard, or maybe you'd prefer to
>> borrow my Latin for Idiots handbook. But then again google has a
>> Universal Communicator going, so, does it matter?

> Never in the field of human discussion has there been so much reason
> for so many to plonk so few.
>
> ChrisA

I tried to make a play on that some days ago and failed dismally.
Thanks for putting me out of my misery

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Chris Angelico

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Further for somebody who is apparently up in the high tech world, why are
> you using a gmail account and hence sending garbage in more ways than one to
> mailing lists like this?

I use gmail too, largely because I prefer to keep mailing list posts
off my primary account.

ChrisA

Dwight Hutto

> Why do you keep repeating this rubbish when you've already been shot to
> pieces?

I still feel intact, so whatever little shards of pain you intended to
emit were lost on my ego.

Don't you know when it's time to make sure that you're safely
> strapped in and reach for and use the release button for the ejector seat.

You ain't shot down ****, but your own reputation. Look at the full
conversation.

> Further for somebody who is apparently up in the high tech world, why are
> you using a gmail account and hence sending garbage in more ways than one to
> mailing lists like this?

Um, using gmail instead of reinventing the wheel is now appropriate to you?

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Ramchandra Apte

On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 21:05:01 UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:26:19 -0400, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>

> > On 9/25/12 4:15 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> >> Hi all,

> >> I though this might be of interest.

> >> http://www.ironfroggy.com/software/i...the-future-of-

> >> python

> > Interesting article, but the comments of those who say "the only

> > language I need to know is Python" strike me as a bit limited. If this

> > is the case, then Python can never be moved forward, because it is

> > written in C.

> Incorrect.
>

> IronPython in C#. Jython is written in Java. CLPython is written in Lisp.
>
> Berp and HoPe are written in Haskell. Nuitka is written in C++. Skulpt is
>
> written in Javascript. Vyper is written in Ocaml. PyPy is written in
>
> RPython.
>

> Some of those Python compilers are obsolete, unmaintained or
>
> experimental. Others are not. But either way, it is certainly not true
>
> that Python is written in C. One specific Python compiler happens to be
>
> written in C, that is all.
>

> > I program in Python, C, Objective C, JavaScript, Tcl, AppleScript, and

> > I'm learning Perl. Python could *not* handle all the domains I target in

> > my projects.

> Unless you are writing code that operates on the bare metal (device
>
> drivers, operating system kernels) Python probably *could*, even if it
>
> doesn't *yet*. PyPy now allows you to write real-time video processing
>
> filters in pure Python:
>

> http://morepypy.blogspot.com.au/2011...in-python.html
>

> And if performance was irrelevant, you could even write an operating
>
> system in Python. A really slow, painful operating system, but still an
>
> operating system.

That's what I plan to do.
But it will be converted to C/C++