Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: keeping information about players around

Re: keeping information about players around

Chris Angelico

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Also, If this is a browser app I'd go with phpmyadmin, and MySQL
>
> If a tkinter/wxpython/etc app, then maybe sqlite.

Out of curiosity, why? MySQL isn't magically better for everything
where data ends up displayed in a web browser. Unless you're planning
to also reference this database from some other language, it's going
to make little difference what backend you use; and even if you are
using multiple languages, it's usually not difficult to find overlap.

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:19:34 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Also, If this is a browser app I'd go with phpmyadmin, and MySQL
>>
>> If a tkinter/wxpython/etc app, then maybe sqlite.

> Out of curiosity, why? MySQL isn't magically better for everything where
> data ends up displayed in a web browser. Unless you're planning to also
> reference this database from some other language, it's going to make
> little difference what backend you use; and even if you are using
> multiple languages, it's usually not difficult to find overlap.

For a desktop application, you can't expect the application user to have
set up MySQL or Postgresql first, so you have to use something like
sqlite.

For web applications, you're probably expecting (or at least hoping for)
tens of thousands of users a day, and sqlite probably won't cut it. If
your web app is only used by you, then you might not care.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume a web app and a desktop app
might use different backends.

--
Steven