Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's your favorite focal length?

What's your favorite focal length?

Chris Malcolm

Paul Ciszek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you had to pick out one prime lens, what focal length would you
> choose? Please mention your sensor type if not full frame.

APS-C sensor. My most used prime focal length is 35mm, and is the one
I most frequently carry or wear on the camera. But if I fell on hard
times and had to sell lenses in order to eat, the prime I would hang
on to until the last would be my 500mm AF reflex. On the other hand,
if I had no primes and was starting to buy them, I'd probably first
buy a 35mm.

Primes I have: 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 500mm. Not yet a complete set

--
Chris Malcolm

nick c

On 9/24/2012 12:28 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> If you had to pick out one prime lens, what focal length would you
> choose? Please mention your sensor type if not full frame.

In responding to your question, I'm assuming I would be limiting myself
to just one prime lens among a bag full of variable lenses (e.g.
17-35mm, 24-120mm, or 70-200mm). In that case the prime lens I would
choose would be a 28mm fast lens.

However, that doesn't mean the 28mm prime would be my most used lens (my
most used lens is the 17-35mm lens) but it does mean it would become my
fall-back all-round lens to be used in scenes where speed, weight,
composition, and perhaps depth of field become issues to address. An
example would be one camera using one lens photographing the inside of a
cathedral where the use of a flash (or multiple of flashes) would be
restricted and carrying a medium to large size bag of equipment may
invite somewhat disturbing onlooker inquiry.

Any followup pictorial alterations to a photographed scene may then
require the use of software to elevate a scene to a limited acceptable
level, as seen through the eye of a beholder.

Nick