Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: $75000 lens

Re: $75000 lens

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Supposedly Kate Middleton was photographed with a $75000 lens. Does
>anybody know what kind of lens is that?

There was a Carl Zeiss Oberkochen f/5.6 / 1000mm Mirotar lens breifly
avialable by special order for the Hasselblad; perhaps that fell in
this price range. This lens was going for $45,000 on e-bay:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...mm-mirror.html

Perhaps it fetched $75,000 new. If I am doing the math correctly, a
full frame camera screwed onto the end of this lens, from three quarters
of a mile away, could photograph a 6ft tall person such that their height
took up one third of the (landscape) image. The latter was my crude guess
as to what sort of margin you would need if you were trying to keep a
celebrity in-frame and wait for her to strike a usable pose.