Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: A Blast from the Past

Re: A Blast from the Past

philo

On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
> was a kid.
>
> http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/

Great find!

In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
just about everyone

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

David Dyer-Bennet

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
>> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
>> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
>> was a kid.
>>
>> http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/

> Great find!

+1

> In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
> just about everyone

In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local camera
store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around any more,
but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working his first job
and being paid minimum wage, *could* have considered going to that level
if it seemed the right thing. (Something from Nikon would in fact have
been a better choice; the Sensorex had some neat aspects, and did fairly
well for me, but I traded it off around four years later for Pentax and
Leica gear, whereas I would have hung on to Nikon I think.)

(The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets you
do quite a lot.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

philo

On 09/24/2012 12:41 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
>>> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
>>> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
>>> was a kid.
>>>
>>> http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/

>> Great find!

> +1
>
>> In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
>> just about everyone

> In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local camera
> store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around any more,
> but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working his first job
> and being paid minimum wage, *could* have considered going to that level
> if it seemed the right thing. (Something from Nikon would in fact have
> been a better choice; the Sensorex had some neat aspects, and did fairly
> well for me, but I traded it off around four years later for Pentax and
> Leica gear, whereas I would have hung on to Nikon I think.)
>
> (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets you
> do quite a lot.)

In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.

Still have the camera

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Paul Ciszek

In article <2012092505322943658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

Hah! That must be what people are remembering when they ask me if
my OM-D is a film camera.

philo

On 09/25/2012 07:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-09-25 05:24:31 -0700, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

<snip>

>> In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
>> 50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
>> but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.
>>
>> Still have the camera

> Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

It was the Spotmatic. It seemed to advanced as it had a built-n light meter!

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <2012092505322943658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>

> >Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?

> >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

> Hah! That must be what people are remembering when they ask me if
>
> my OM-D is a film camera.

I think my only OMD is enola gay

> --
>
> "Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS
>
> crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in
>
> TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in
>
> bonuses, and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither."

philo

On 09/26/2012 07:04 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> when I >> was a kid.

>>> Great find!

>> +1
>>
>>> In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
>>> just about everyone

>> In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local
>> camera store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around
>> any more, but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working
>> his first job and being paid minimum wage, could have considered
>> going to that level if it seemed the right thing. (Something from
>> Nikon would in fact have been a better choice; the Sensorex had some
>> neat aspects, and did fairly well for me, but I traded it off around
>> four years later for Pentax and Leica gear, whereas I would have hung
>> on to Nikon I think.)
>>
>> (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets
>> you do quite a lot.)

> In 1961 I bought my first slr - a Miranda D with interchangable
> viewfinders and a 50mm 2,8 preset lens ( got a Miranda 250mm tele a
> month later) the cost was ?69 and the lens quality was superb - shutter
> speeds only went to 1/500 sec. The focusing screen was user
> interchangable but took quite a while and was fiddly. I also purchased
> the magnifying viefinder which (if I am right was 1x and 5x depending
> on which way your eye piece was). The lens mount was a dual one with
> preset lenses using the inner mount and auto lenses using the outer
> mount.

In 1957 I was thrilled to move up from my Brownie box camera
to a Brownie with a built-in flash
I kept using it until 1970!
(Still have it)

--

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:04:46 -0500, "Neil Ellwood"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>>> when I >> was a kid.

>>> +1

>>> In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local
>>> camera store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around
>>> any more, but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working
>>> his first job and being paid minimum wage, could have considered
>>> going to that level if it seemed the right thing. (Something from
>>> Nikon would in fact have been a better choice; the Sensorex had some
>>> neat aspects, and did fairly well for me, but I traded it off around
>>> four years later for Pentax and Leica gear, whereas I would have hung
>>> on to Nikon I think.)
>>>
>>> (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets
>>> you do quite a lot.)

>>In 1961 I bought my first slr - a Miranda D with interchangable
>>viewfinders and a 50mm 2,8 preset lens ( got a Miranda 250mm tele a
>>month later) the cost was ?69 and the lens quality was superb - shutter
>>speeds only went to 1/500 sec. The focusing screen was user
>>interchangable but took quite a while and was fiddly. I also purchased
>>the magnifying viefinder which (if I am right was 1x and 5x depending
>>on which way your eye piece was). The lens mount was a dual one with
>>preset lenses using the inner mount and auto lenses using the outer
>>mount.

> Sounds much the same as the Miranda gear that I bought at about the
> same time as you. I remember the shutter packed up early in the
> camera's life and I eventually got rid of it as I could _never_ obtain
> sharp photographs, even under test conditions.

I liked the bottom-weighted metering, and I liked the shutter-release
location (front rather than top, making verticals easier to hold
stably), and I liked the interchangeable viewfinders (I never got
another viewfinder, just the basic prism, but you could take it off and
look down into the body from above to get essentially a waist-level
finder).

I didn't have particular trouble with sharpness for 8x10 prints (or
sometimes slightly greater enlargement due to cropping).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Robert Coe

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:07:36 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
: > This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
: > photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
: > was a kid.
: >
: > http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/
: >
:
:
:
: Great find!
:
: In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
: just about everyone

That's an SP! I had one of those, along with 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/3.5, and 135mm
f/3.5 lenses. I traded in my S2 body to get it, and later traded in the lot on
an F-2 with the same set of lenses. A bit later I bought my wife a Nikkormat
with a 50mm f/2 lens. We were pretty well equipped for those days!

Bob

Robert Coe

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:58:42 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
:
: > On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:04:46 -0500, "Neil Ellwood"
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: >>David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
: >>
: >>> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
: >>>
: >>> > On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
: >>> >> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
: >>> >> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this
: >>> when I >> was a kid.
: >>> > >
[...]

IIRC, most of the earliest SLRs had the shutter release on the front. I think
it was because the same button stopped down the lens (either manually or by
releasing the spring-loaded preset) and triggered the shutter.

Bob

Re: A Blast from the Past Mort Digital Photography 17 09-29-2012 03:50 PM
Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advancesof 100 years! Laszlo Lebrun Digital Photography 5 04-18-2012 02:07 PM
Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advances of100 years! Whisky-dave Digital Photography 2 04-17-2012 02:43 AM
Blast from the past CTSportPilot VHDL 10 03-12-2008 12:07 PM
A BLAST FROM THE PAST SEVEN SEVILLE DVD Video 5 01-29-2004 09:50 PM

Advertisments