Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > For Counter Variable

For Counter Variable

Dwight Hutto

>> Just my $0.02.

I'd estimate it at that value anyday.
--
Best Regards,
David Hutto

Paul Rubin

alex23 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> To highlight the vast gulf between what you think you are and what you
> actually produce.

By now I think we're in the DNFTT zone.

Dwight Hutto

Anything else bitch?

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Dwight Hutto

> By now I think we're in the DNFTT zone.
> --

Taking a bite yourself there buddy. Hop under the bridge, and
comment...it make you a troll, and you're trying to feed yourself with
pile on comment from the rest of the under bridge dwellers.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:53:55 +0200, Thomas Rachel wrote:

> When learning Python, it often happend me to re-inven the wheel. But as
> soon as I saw the presence of something I re-wrote, I skipped my
> re-written version and used the built-in.

And me.

Not just Python either. The very first piece of code I wrote on a Linux
machine was a shell script that (very badly, and even more very slowly)
counted the number of files in a directory. 20 lines (if I remember
correctly) to duplicate a simple:

ls | wc -l

It was a humbling lesson to always check what features a programming
environment or language offers before reinventing the wheel with four
sides.

--
Steven

Chris Angelico

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> By now I think we're in the DNFTT zone.
>> --

> Taking a bite yourself there buddy. Hop under the bridge, and
> comment...it make you a troll, and you're trying to feed yourself with
> pile on comment from the rest of the under bridge dwellers.

Dwight/David, may I courteously recommend and request that you refrain
from posting until you've calmed down a little? You're really not
doing your reputation much good. Unfortunately you're also impacting
the reputation of the list/newsgroup. People will come here looking
for help, and will see that people are biting and scratching at one
another[1], and will turn away. And that, in turn, reflects badly on
the language.

It's fine to disagree with someone - that's one of the best ways to
explore a problem space and turn up more information. What's not fine
is the bad language and vitriol.

To Paul Rubin (whose name and citation were omitted from Dwight's
quoted text): My apologies, I fear I am feeding a troll here. But
something needed to be said.

[1] Galations 5:15, eg http://bible.cc/galatians/5-15.htm - come to
think of it, the whole chapter applies fairly well here.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5

ChrisA

Mark Lawrence

On 25/09/2012 08:46, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:53:55 +0200, Thomas Rachel wrote:
>
>> When learning Python, it often happend me to re-inven the wheel. But as
>> soon as I saw the presence of something I re-wrote, I skipped my
>> re-written version and used the built-in.

> And me.
>
> Not just Python either. The very first piece of code I wrote on a Linux
> machine was a shell script that (very badly, and even more very slowly)
> counted the number of files in a directory. 20 lines (if I remember
> correctly) to duplicate a simple:
>
> ls | wc -l
>

> It was a humbling lesson to always check what features a programming
> environment or language offers before reinventing the wheel with four
> sides.

Thankfully easier in a relatively concise language like Python as
opposed to (say) Java. Which reminds me, in what version of Python are
we getting the singletonMap?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

wxjmfauth@gmail.com

I wrote my first program on a PDP-8. I discovered Python
at release 1.5.?

Now years later... I find Python more and more unusable.

As an exemple related to this topic, which summarizes a
little bit the situation. I just opened my interactive
interpreter and produced this:

>>> for i in range(len(s)-1, -1,-1):

.... '{} {}'.format(i, s[i])
'2 c'
'1 b'
'0 a'

I did it so many times with a reverse/enumerate combination,
I'm unable to do it again, I simply do not remember!

One another really annoying aspect of Python, illustrated
in my previous code: ''.format() .
Was it not supposed to be *the* new formating scheme?

I'm toying more and more with the go language. I really
appreciate and rediscover the strictness I learned with
Pascal.

jmf

On 25/09/2012 10:32, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I wrote my first program on a PDP-8. I discovered Python
> at release 1.5.?
>
> Now years later... I find Python more and more unusable.

Dementia is a growing problem for us older people

> As an exemple related to this topic, which summarizes a
> little bit the situation. I just opened my interactive
> interpreter and produced this:

> ... '{} {}'.format(i, s[i])
> '2 c'
> '1 b'
> '0 a'
>
> I did it so many times with a reverse/enumerate combination,
> I'm unable to do it again, I simply do not remember!

Based on things I've read as I've never used it myself try using Perl as
that should simplify things for you.

> One another really annoying aspect of Python, illustrated
> in my previous code: ''.format() .
> Was it not supposed to be *the* new formating scheme?

That might have been the original intention but it's not going to take
over the world as there's too much legacy code using the C style %
formatters. IIRC isn't there also something about string templates???

> I'm toying more and more with the go language. I really
> appreciate and rediscover the strictness I learned with
> Pascal.

So go and use go as nobody here is stopping you.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.