Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Fastest web framework

Fastest web framework

Andriy Kornatskyy

I have run recently a benchmark of a trivial 'hello world' application for various python web frameworks (bottle,*django, flask, pyramid, web.py, wheezy.web) hosted in uWSGI/cpython2.7 and gunicorn/pypy1.9... you might find it interesting:

http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/...framework.html

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Andriy Kornatskyy

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andriy Kornatskyy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have run recently a benchmark of a trivial 'hello world' application for
> various python web frameworks (bottle,*django, flask, pyramid, web.py,
> wheezy.web) hosted in uWSGI/cpython2.7 and gunicorn/pypy1.9... you might find
> it interesting:
>
> http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/...framework.html
>
> Comments or suggestions are welcome.

That's a nice comparison, thanks for posting it.

One thing that's worth pointing out, however, is that in a real world
application, as long as you're using something halfway decent, the speed
of the framework is probably not going to matter at all. It's much more
likely that database throughput will be the dominating factor.

Stefan Behnel

Roy Smith, 23.09.2012 16:02:
> Andriy Kornatskyy wrote:
>> I have run recently a benchmark of a trivial 'hello world' application for
>> various python web frameworks (bottle,�django, flask, pyramid, web.py,
>> wheezy.web) hosted in uWSGI/cpython2.7 and gunicorn/pypy1.9... you might find
>> it interesting:
>>
>> http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/...framework.html
>>
>> Comments or suggestions are welcome.

> That's a nice comparison, thanks for posting it.
>
> One thing that's worth pointing out, however, is that in a real world
> application, as long as you're using something halfway decent, the speed
> of the framework is probably not going to matter at all. It's much more
> likely that database throughput will be the dominating factor.

Yes, that makes the comparison (which may or may not be biased towards his
own engine) a bit less interesting. Worth keeping this in mind:

http://www.codeirony.com/?p=9

Stefan

Mark Lawrence

On 23/09/2012 16:50, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Roy Smith, 23.09.2012 16:02:
>> Andriy Kornatskyy wrote:
>>> I have run recently a benchmark of a trivial 'hello world' application for
>>> various python web frameworks (bottle,�django, flask, pyramid, web.py,
>>> wheezy.web) hosted in uWSGI/cpython2.7 and gunicorn/pypy1.9... you might find
>>> it interesting:
>>>
>>> http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/...framework.html
>>>
>>> Comments or suggestions are welcome.

>> That's a nice comparison, thanks for posting it.
>>
>> One thing that's worth pointing out, however, is that in a real world
>> application, as long as you're using something halfway decent, the speed
>> of the framework is probably not going to matter at all. It's much more
>> likely that database throughput will be the dominating factor.

> Yes, that makes the comparison (which may or may not be biased towards his
> own engine) a bit less interesting. Worth keeping this in mind:
>
> http://www.codeirony.com/?p=9
>
> Stefan

I'd like to say thanks for the link but unfortunately for me, but good
news for you (plural), is that I've bust a gut laughing out loud, so I
won't

Oh alright then thanks for the link.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Andriy Kornatskyy

If we take a look at web application we can split it into at least two parts, one that renders things out and the other one that does data extraction, e.g. from database (this is what you are pointing at).

If you made a first call to database you get your list and can easily cacheit. The next call IS without impact that database call may cause... but you still keep serving pages out...

Thanks.

Andriy

From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Subject: Re: Fastest web framework
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:02:28 -0400
To: (E-Mail Removed)

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andriy Kornatskyy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have run recently a benchmark of a trivial 'hello world' application for
> various python web frameworks (bottle, django, flask, pyramid, web.py,
> wheezy.web) hosted in uWSGI/cpython2.7 and gunicorn/pypy1.9... you might find
> it interesting:
>
> http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/...framework.html
>
> Comments or suggestions are welcome.

That's a nice comparison, thanks for posting it.

One thing that's worth pointing out, however, is that in a real world
application, as long as you're using something halfway decent, the speed
of the framework is probably not going to matter at all. It's much more
likely that database throughput will be the dominating factor.

Stefan Behnel

Andriy Kornatskyy, 23.09.2012 19:42:
> If we take a look at web application we can split it into at least two
> parts, one that renders things out and the other one that does data
> extraction, e.g. from database (this is what you are pointing at).
>
> If you made a first call to database you get your list and can easily
> cache it. The next call IS without impact that database call may
> cause... but you still keep serving pages out...

Well, if it was really that easy, you wouldn't be using a database in the
first place but static pages, would you?

Stefan

Andriy Kornatskyy

The problem is that easy if*you have a complete control over what you arecaching.

Complete control over cache may look a*challenging task however with use of cache dependency you can lower it*significantly. Take a look here:
http://packages.python.org/wheezy.ca...achedependency

If you have a willing to go even further consider take a look at content caching:
http://packages.python.org/wheezy.ht...#content-cache

Serving static page out of your data is not that impossible... there are still exceptions, of cause.

Thanks.

Andriy