Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Connect printer to router via USB

Connect printer to router via USB

Gib Bogle

On 27/09/2012 10:43 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

> You might like to verify for sure that the port is actually open
> through the Windows firewall. Try to use telnet to connect to that
> port. You may need to install telnet first - on my Vista box that is
> under Control Panel / Programs / Turn Windows features on or off.
>
> From a command prompt:
>
> telnet 192.162.1.1 631
>
> If telnet does connect, you can exit it using Ctrl-] then the quit
> command. If the connection fail or times out, then either the
> firewall is not open on that port, or the router is not set up to use
> that port correctly - you should try again after temporarily disabling
> the entire Windows firewall (and disconnecting your router from the
> Internet for safety if necessary).
>
> BTW Are you using the builtin Windows firewall, or the one in your
> anti-virus software (eg Norton)? I have had problems with Norton 360
> not opening ports when needed, and had to open them manually. But I
> do have a complex network that has Vista confused.

Hi Stephen, this sounds very promising! I turned the telnet client on,
then did 'telnet 192.168.1.1 631'. I just get a blank telnet window,
there's no indication that it's connected. If I type something it comes
back with:
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Connection: close
Connection to host lost.

Does this indicate a failure to connect?

Gib Bogle

On 27/09/2012 10:43 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

> If telnet does connect, you can exit it using Ctrl-] then the quit
> command. If the connection fail or times out, then either the
> firewall is not open on that port, or the router is not set up to use
> that port correctly - you should try again after temporarily disabling
> the entire Windows firewall (and disconnecting your router from the
> Internet for safety if necessary).
>
> BTW Are you using the builtin Windows firewall, or the one in your
> anti-virus software (eg Norton)? I have had problems with Norton 360
> not opening ports when needed, and had to open them manually. But I
> do have a complex network that has Vista confused.

I'm just using the built-in Windows firewall (Windows Defender?). I'll
explore your suggestion of disabling it.

Thanks

Gib Bogle

On 28/09/2012 10:27 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:

> Hi Stephen, this sounds very promising! I turned the telnet client on,
> then did 'telnet 192.168.1.1 631'. I just get a blank telnet window,
> there's no indication that it's connected. If I type something it comes
> back with:
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Connection: close
> Connection to host lost.
>
> Does this indicate a failure to connect?

Judging by what I see when I try a different port number (an immediate
message saying the connection failed) it seems that the connection to
port 631 is successful. Disabling the Windows firewall had no effect.

This seems to indicate that the problem is with the printer, not the router.

Enkidu

On 28/09/12 10:27, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 27/09/2012 10:43 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> You might like to verify for sure that the port is actually open
>> through the Windows firewall. Try to use telnet to connect to that
>> port. You may need to install telnet first - on my Vista box that is
>> under Control Panel / Programs / Turn Windows features on or off.
>>
>> From a command prompt:
>>
>> telnet 192.162.1.1 631
>>
>> If telnet does connect, you can exit it using Ctrl-] then the quit
>> command. If the connection fail or times out, then either the
>> firewall is not open on that port, or the router is not set up to use
>> that port correctly - you should try again after temporarily disabling
>> the entire Windows firewall (and disconnecting your router from the
>> Internet for safety if necessary).
>>
>> BTW Are you using the builtin Windows firewall, or the one in your
>> anti-virus software (eg Norton)? I have had problems with Norton 360
>> not opening ports when needed, and had to open them manually. But I
>> do have a complex network that has Vista confused.
>>

> Hi Stephen, this sounds very promising! I turned the telnet client on,
> then did 'telnet 192.168.1.1 631'. I just get a blank telnet window,
> there's no indication that it's connected. If I type something it comes
> back with:
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Connection: close
> Connection to host lost.
>
> Does this indicate a failure to connect?

No, That indicates that you *did* connect. The server in the router
returned the 404 error that you see.

Cheers,

Cliff

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:27:39 +1200, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 27/09/2012 10:43 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> You might like to verify for sure that the port is actually open
>> through the Windows firewall. Try to use telnet to connect to that
>> port. You may need to install telnet first - on my Vista box that is
>> under Control Panel / Programs / Turn Windows features on or off.
>>
>> From a command prompt:
>>
>> telnet 192.162.1.1 631
>>
>> If telnet does connect, you can exit it using Ctrl-] then the quit
>> command. If the connection fail or times out, then either the
>> firewall is not open on that port, or the router is not set up to use
>> that port correctly - you should try again after temporarily disabling
>> the entire Windows firewall (and disconnecting your router from the
>> Internet for safety if necessary).
>>
>> BTW Are you using the builtin Windows firewall, or the one in your
>> anti-virus software (eg Norton)? I have had problems with Norton 360
>> not opening ports when needed, and had to open them manually. But I
>> do have a complex network that has Vista confused.
>>

>Hi Stephen, this sounds very promising! I turned the telnet client on,
>then did 'telnet 192.168.1.1 631'. I just get a blank telnet window,
>there's no indication that it's connected. If I type something it comes
>back with:
>HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>Connection: close
>Connection to host lost.
>
>Does this indicate a failure to connect?

That conclusively proves that the firewall is not blocking the port.
You are getting a response from some sort of server software that does
HTTP protocol (like a web server, but lots of other things also use
HTTP protocol).

Since it understands HTTP, you might like to now try with your web
browser - use this URL:

http://192.168.1.1:631

and see if you get a response.

Gib Bogle

On 28/09/2012 9:21 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

> That conclusively proves that the firewall is not blocking the port.
> You are getting a response from some sort of server software that does
> HTTP protocol (like a web server, but lots of other things also use
> HTTP protocol).
>
> Since it understands HTTP, you might like to now try with your web
> browser - use this URL:
>
> http://192.168.1.1:631
>
> and see if you get a response.

I see a completely blank page.

Gib Bogle

On 28/09/2012 9:21 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

> That conclusively proves that the firewall is not blocking the port.
> You are getting a response from some sort of server software that does
> HTTP protocol (like a web server, but lots of other things also use
> HTTP protocol).
>
> Since it understands HTTP, you might like to now try with your web
> browser - use this URL:
>
> http://192.168.1.1:631
>
> and see if you get a response.

Any further thoughts, Stephen?