Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Leica MF S-System [37.5 Mpix]

Re: Leica MF S-System [37.5 Mpix]

Bruce

Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2012-09-26, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>Not the image quality though.

>> Nor the feature set. The Leica S2 was almost minimalist in terms of
>> its feature set, and that was one of its strongest selling points.
>>
>> Most working photographers want little or nothing to do with the
>> comprehensive feature sets so beloved of amateur enthusiasts. The
>> vast majority of those features just get in the way.

>Here Here!
>
>I still haven't found digital replacements for the "proper" 35mm 'compacts'
>such as the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 and suchlike.

Sony has just released its RX1 model which has the same full frame
24 MP sensor as the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. It has a fixed Carl
Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens. So it's about the nearest thing in digital
compacts to the 1970s/80s rangefinder cameras like the Canon GIII and
Yashica Electro 35 GT/GS.

http://tinyurl.com/8qjjdfl

Only problem is the price: $2800.

>I suspect the latest
>Leica M digital camera may be worthy of consideration as a true digital
>equivalent to my beloved M3 and M6 - almost.

I have been using the M9/M9-P for over a year and am happy. I started
with an M9 then found a used M9-P at a good price, so I bought it and
sold the M9. However, the CCD sensor has its limitations. These seem
to have been fully addressed in the new Leica M, but I will wait for
comprehensive tests before I buy one.

Whiskers

On 2012-09-27, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nor the feature set. The Leica S2 was almost minimalist in terms of
>>> its feature set, and that was one of its strongest selling points.
>>>
>>> Most working photographers want little or nothing to do with the
>>> comprehensive feature sets so beloved of amateur enthusiasts. The
>>> vast majority of those features just get in the way.

>>Here Here!
>>
>>I still haven't found digital replacements for the "proper" 35mm 'compacts'
>>such as the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 and suchlike.

> Sony has just released its RX1 model which has the same full frame
> 24 MP sensor as the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. It has a fixed Carl
> Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens. So it's about the nearest thing in digital
> compacts to the 1970s/80s rangefinder cameras like the Canon GIII and
> Yashica Electro 35 GT/GS.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8qjjdfl
>
> Only problem is the price: $2800.

Yes, the signs are optimistic, but ...

>>I suspect the latest
>>Leica M digital camera may be worthy of consideration as a true digital
>>equivalent to my beloved M3 and M6 - almost.

> I have been using the M9/M9-P for over a year and am happy. I started
> with an M9 then found a used M9-P at a good price, so I bought it and
> sold the M9. However, the CCD sensor has its limitations. These seem
> to have been fully addressed in the new Leica M, but I will wait for
> comprehensive tests before I buy one.

Fuji have some nice 'Leica-like' models at less exalted prices, including
at least one fixed-prime-lens camera that comes close to the Rollei 35 -
apart from being a lot bigger and rather expensive. Minox have shown
promise with their "Digital Classics", which are certainly in the right
sort of size range but seem rather gimmicky and fussy, and the "Digital Spy
Camera" is interesting, but the sensors are small, and there's no RAW mode,
and the manual controls are limited. Something in between would be very
interesting.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Rob

On 27/09/2012 8:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nor the feature set. The Leica S2 was almost minimalist in terms of
>>> its feature set, and that was one of its strongest selling points.
>>>
>>> Most working photographers want little or nothing to do with the
>>> comprehensive feature sets so beloved of amateur enthusiasts. The
>>> vast majority of those features just get in the way.

>> Here Here!
>>
>> I still haven't found digital replacements for the "proper" 35mm 'compacts'
>> such as the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 and suchlike.

> Sony has just released its RX1 model which has the same full frame
> 24 MP sensor as the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. It has a fixed Carl
> Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens. So it's about the nearest thing in digital
> compacts to the 1970s/80s rangefinder cameras like the Canon GIII and
> Yashica Electro 35 GT/GS.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8qjjdfl
>
> Only problem is the price: $2800.
>

>> I suspect the latest
>> Leica M digital camera may be worthy of consideration as a true digital
>> equivalent to my beloved M3 and M6 - almost.

> I have been using the M9/M9-P for over a year and am happy. I started
> with an M9 then found a used M9-P at a good price, so I bought it and
> sold the M9. However, the CCD sensor has its limitations. These seem
> to have been fully addressed in the new Leica M, but I will wait for
> comprehensive tests before I buy one.

Who manufactures the sensor? suspect Sony who make the D800 sensor.

Me

On 28/09/2012 11:46 a.m., Rob wrote:
> On 27/09/2012 8:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Here Here!
>>>
>>> I still haven't found digital replacements for the "proper" 35mm
>>> 'compacts'
>>> such as the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 and suchlike.

>> Sony has just released its RX1 model which has the same full frame
>> 24 MP sensor as the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. It has a fixed Carl
>> Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens. So it's about the nearest thing in digital
>> compacts to the 1970s/80s rangefinder cameras like the Canon GIII and
>> Yashica Electro 35 GT/GS.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8qjjdfl
>>
>> Only problem is the price: $2800.
>>

>>> I suspect the latest
>>> Leica M digital camera may be worthy of consideration as a true digital
>>> equivalent to my beloved M3 and M6 - almost.

>> I have been using the M9/M9-P for over a year and am happy. I started
>> with an M9 then found a used M9-P at a good price, so I bought it and
>> sold the M9. However, the CCD sensor has its limitations. These seem
>> to have been fully addressed in the new Leica M, but I will wait for
>> comprehensive tests before I buy one.
>>

> Who manufactures the sensor? suspect Sony who make the D800 sensor.

Not Sony.
http://www.cmosis.com/

Bruce

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 27/09/2012 8:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Here Here!
>>>
>>> I still haven't found digital replacements for the "proper" 35mm 'compacts'
>>> such as the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 and suchlike.

>> Sony has just released its RX1 model which has the same full frame
>> 24 MP sensor as the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. It has a fixed Carl
>> Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens. So it's about the nearest thing in digital
>> compacts to the 1970s/80s rangefinder cameras like the Canon GIII and
>> Yashica Electro 35 GT/GS.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8qjjdfl
>>
>> Only problem is the price: $2800.
>>

>>> I suspect the latest
>>> Leica M digital camera may be worthy of consideration as a true digital
>>> equivalent to my beloved M3 and M6 - almost.

>> I have been using the M9/M9-P for over a year and am happy. I started
>> with an M9 then found a used M9-P at a good price, so I bought it and
>> sold the M9. However, the CCD sensor has its limitations. These seem
>> to have been fully addressed in the new Leica M, but I will wait for
>> comprehensive tests before I buy one.
>>

>Who manufactures the sensor? suspect Sony who make the D800 sensor.

The 24 MP CMOS sensor in the new Leica M was designed and made in
Europe by the Belgian company CMOSIS. It is unique in that the
microlenses over the photoreceptors on the sensor have a particularly
wide angle of acceptance.

http://www.cmosis.com/
http://tinyurl.com/CMOSISLeicaMSensor

Me

On 28/09/2012 12:06 p.m., Bruce wrote:

>It is unique in that the
> microlenses over the photoreceptors on the sensor have a particularly
> wide angle of acceptance.

Yeah? blah bah Leica blah blah.
Blah blah Nikon blah blah:
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/scenes/24/index.htm
Blah blah Canon Blah blah:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...microlenses.do
Blah blah - talk is cheap - especially when it's about something that's
not easy for the customer to measure, and that customer has been
"tenderised for consumption" long beforehand - so will probably just see
what he wants to see.

Whiskers

On 2012-09-27, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> Camera" is interesting, but the sensors are small, and there's no RAW mode,
> and the manual controls are limited. Something in between would be very
> interesting.

I don't know where that Ctrl-L came from, but here is that bit again
without it in case it upset anyone's software. Sorry!

--
-- Whiskers