Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > config.h makefile error when installing MakeMaker

config.h makefile error when installing MakeMaker

technog

Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2

Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package, which brought up dependencies.
Now trying to install MakeMaker but get the following error re. config.h
Please see the last line below.
The path doesnt exist and I dont have config.h in any of the downloaded modules.
If this file is created on the fly, as the error would indicate, then the following line in the makefile has the path not setup correctly ??
CONFIGDEP = $(PERL_ARCHLIB)$(DFSEP)Config.pm $(PERL_INC)$(DFSEP)config.h

* output of the make command *

# perl Makefile.PL
Using included version of version (0.8 because it is not already installed.
Using included version of JSON:P (2.27104) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of Parse::CPAN::Meta (1.4401) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of CPAN::Meta (2.112150) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of CPAN::Meta::YAML (0.003) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of ExtUtils::Manifest (1.5 because it is not already installed.
Using included version of ExtUtils::Install (1.52) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of File::Copy::Recursive (0.3 because it is not already installed.
Using included version of JSON:P::Compat5006 (1.09) because it is not already installed.
Using included version of Version::Requirements (0.101020) because it is not already installed.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.62]# make
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

Rainer Weikusat

technog <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
>
> Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

[...]

> make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
> needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
being usable instead marketable ...

Rainer Weikusat

Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

[...]

> Another thing to bear in mind is that installing CPAN modules by hand
> (or with the CPAN client) against a package-managed perl is often a very
> bad idea, since you end up stamping on package-managed files.

It shouldn't, at least not at the moment: By default, CPAN modules
install themselves in /usr/local and while this may affect 'the
distribution' insofar as it might cause some distribution-provided
Perl code which tested with version x.y of some Perl module to use a
different module, it won't interfere with the distribution package
management.

Dave Saville

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:36:21 UTC, Rainer Weikusat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> technog <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
> >
> > Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

> [...]
>
> > make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
> > needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

> According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
> files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
> and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
> named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
> web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
> being usable instead marketable ...

So you would suggest?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Rainer Weikusat

"Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:36:21 UTC, Rainer Weikusat
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> technog <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
>> >
>> > Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

>> [...]
>>
>> > make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
>> > needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

>> According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
>> files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
>> and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
>> named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
>> web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
>> being usable instead marketable ...

> So you would suggest?

Any project which is capable of putting its package database online
with an interface suitable for finding something which actually
works. Eg, you can go to this page

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

type 'perl' into the 'Search package directories' input box, select
'Source package names' and search for it which will end on this page

http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...le&section=all

and clicking on the squeeze link will lead to a page which documents
the Debian packages created from the perl source distribution:

http://packages.debian.org/source/squeeze/perl

Something similar may be available for Fedora but not by clicking on
something obvious (such as 'Debian packages') on the Fedora
homepage. But they have a bunch of 'customer testimonials' and other
'feelgood' stuff :->.