Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Sony beats Nikon to FF mirrorless

Re: Sony beats Nikon to FF mirrorless

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>However, it is fixed lens with no electronic VF so you have to
>be...disciplined to use it.
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/previews/son...shot-dsc-rx1/2
>
>Kind of expensive at $2800, more than the now-dead A850.

Fixed focal length
Can't remove the lens
No viewfinder, optical or electronic
Expensive

Does it have any *good* features? Are there any advantages to it
being mirrorless? The advantages of a mirrorless camera mainly
have to do with being able to put lenses in places you otherwise
couldn't. For example, I can get adapters for my micro four thirds
that guarantee focus at infinity for other manufacturer's lenses.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

Me

On 13/09/2012 11:05 a.m., Paul Ciszek wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> However, it is fixed lens with no electronic VF so you have to
>> be...disciplined to use it.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/previews/son...shot-dsc-rx1/2
>>
>> Kind of expensive at $2800, more than the now-dead A850.

> Fixed focal length
> Can't remove the lens
> No viewfinder, optical or electronic

There is an optional optical VF ($599) and EVF (price TBA).
> Expensive

! Lens hood $179 and thumb grip $249.

> Does it have any *good* features? Are there any advantages to it
> being mirrorless? The advantages of a mirrorless camera mainly
> have to do with being able to put lenses in places you otherwise
> couldn't. For example, I can get adapters for my micro four thirds
> that guarantee focus at infinity for other manufacturer's lenses.

No mirror slap/quiet operation, compact size, mechanical simplicity
(possible - but probably not implemented in this camera).