Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python CAD libraries?

python CAD libraries?

Alec Taylor

Blender is definitely the most popular open-source CAD software; it
has even forked its own version of Python to make things run neatly

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> And just a little more for you from:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications#A3D_CAD.2FCAM
>
> This looked interesting:
> http://free-cad.sourceforge.net/
>>

> but I have to get to a few other things, so I hope this helps.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> David Hutto
> CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Marco Nawijn

On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:10:55 PM UTC+2, Jayden wrote:
> Are there any python CAD libraries that can
>

> (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
>
> (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
>
> (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, andlofting
>

> Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

Hi Jayden,

In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade.org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is a hugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, butit can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks. It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.

Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towardsanimation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering.

Regards,

Marco

Jayden

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:42:56 AM UTC-4, Marco Nawijn wrote:
> On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:10:55 PM UTC+2, Jayden wrote:
>
> > Are there any python CAD libraries that can

> > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and soon

> > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

> > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

> > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

> Hi Jayden,
>

> In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade..org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is ahugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, but it can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks.It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.
>

> Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towards animation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering..
>

> Regards,
>

> Marco

Hi, Marco,

Thank you so much! This is what I exactly want. But I am a little concernedabout its steep learning curve. Is it really hard to learn pythonOCC? Averagely, how long does it take to begin to program some practical code? Do you have any good advice for me to learn it? I deeply appreciate your kind help!!

Best regards,

Jayden

Ramchandra Apte

On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 02:40:55 UTC+5:30, Jayden wrote:
> Are there any python CAD libraries that can
>

> (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
>
> (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
>
> (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting
>

> Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

You could use Blender. It has support for Python 3 (I don't know whether it has support for Python 2)