Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photoshop Elements sale: $59 Aug 28 only

Re: Photoshop Elements sale: $59 Aug 28 only

Trevor

"Eric Stevens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>Here, in New Zealand, I have to pay over $1000.

> I thought I had found a way to get CS6 via my daughter in Switzerland.
> No good, that's still going to cost me about US$1000. You guys in the
> US should stop complaining about the price.

Why, if it's not worth $600 to many amateurs, it's irrelevant to them
whether it's not worth $1,000

Trevor.

tony cooper

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:14:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:48:50 -0700, MI <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On 9/9/12 1:59 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),

>>> I have decided I would gladly pay the US$600. I resent being told that
>>> coming from New Zealand I have to pay +US$1000 (and that's a big plus
>>> too) to buy what I could get for a lesser price if I lived in the US.

>>I agree you are being ripped off. It's quite possible NZ has tariffs
>>attached.

>Nope - nope - nope.
>
>New Zealand has been a virtually tariff free country since the late
>1980s. There is a universal Goods and Service Tax (GST) but I left
>that out of my calculations.
>
>>But you must remember that US Dollar is worth NZD 1.26. You add
>>25% to the $600 you get $750. Still too much, but not as bad as first look
>>at it.

>I took the exchange rate into account by quoting all prices in US
>dollars (see the Swiss example above).

If you have not been using Photoshop, but want to use the features
found in Photoshop, why not buy Adobe Elements 9.0 or 10?

There is very little difference in features for the amateur
photographer. It lacks certain things that a Pro might want for
submissions, but if you are converting images to CMYK already, you've
found a way to do that.

As far as editing tools, Elements contains almost the whole tool bag.

Even Elements may cost more in NZ, but you would be down to less than
$150 or so.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Trevor

"MI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CC7240B2.80084%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why, if it's not worth $600 to many amateurs, it's irrelevant to them
>>> whether it's not worth $1,000
>>>

>> I have decided I would gladly pay the US$600. I resent being told that
>> coming from New Zealand I have to pay +US$1000 (and that's a big plus
>> too) to buy what I could get for a lesser price if I lived in the US.

> I agree you are being ripped off. It's quite possible NZ has tariffs
> attached.

It's much the same here in Australia, and the only tax is 10%.

>But you must remember that US Dollar is worth NZD 1.26.

The Aussie dollar is worth MORE than the $USD, and the cost difference is
still much the same.

Trevor.

PeterN

On 9/9/2012 5:50 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012.09.09 17:42 , Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-09-09 14:20:34 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> A private personal arrangement was what I discussed when I said "I
>>> thought I had found a way to get CS6 via my daughter in Switzerland.
>>> No good, that's still going to cost me about US$1000." That would have
>>> incurred no further freight as my wife is going to be staying with her
>>> for a week in October.

>> Have your wife reroute her return trip via the US with one overnight in
>> NY, LA, or SFO.

> The great circle route from Switzerland to Aus/NZ goes over Asia, not
> N.A. So as a first guess it may be more expensive to start (though
> international fare pricing can be bizarre.)
>
> On that note, I would bet that if she booked back to back round trips,
> one from NZ/AUS to the US and booked another (while in the US) from
> there to Switzerland and back to the US that the total airfare would be
> enough cheaper that it would pay for CS6 in its entirety. This would
> take a lot of research and bargain hunting (not to mention resulting in
> more travel and stops for Mme Stevens) but could be a way through.

Methinks the Duck was thinking about her shopping.

--
Peter

Trevor

> The landed Australian wholesale cost includes 5% customs duty + the
> freight & insurance. The 10% GST is charged to the importer, in this case
> Adobe Australia, on the Customs valuation + the 5% duty + the
> freight&Insurance. So the landed wholesale for Adobe Australia (AA) is
> going to be higher than the wholesale paid by B&H in NYC. Then AA is going
> to add their mark up, and the consumer is going to be faced with another
> 10% GST at point of sale.

Right, and it doesn't all come to over $400 (or anywhere near it except for
the local agent mark up!), which is the ONLY reason they won't sell directly
from the USA to AUS/NZ, so as not to affect the local distributors cosy
little mark up.
AFAIC there should be a cheap price for program download to anywhere, and
then let the local agents charge whatever they can get away with for support
to those who want it, and are prepared to pay for it. Many of us don't want
any, don't use any, and don't want to pay excessive amounts for any.

Trevor.

tony cooper

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:31:44 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:25:19 -0400, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:14:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Nope - nope - nope.
>>>
>>>New Zealand has been a virtually tariff free country since the late
>>>1980s. There is a universal Goods and Service Tax (GST) but I left
>>>that out of my calculations.

>>>I took the exchange rate into account by quoting all prices in US
>>>dollars (see the Swiss example above).

>>If you have not been using Photoshop, but want to use the features
>>found in Photoshop, why not buy Adobe Elements 9.0 or 10?

>As far as I can determine, the features in CS6 which interest me are
>not in Elements.

I have both CS4 and E9. Not quite the same, but what are the features
you are looking for?

>NZ$199.95 including GST. This is equivalent to US$162 or US$140 before
>tax.

Elements 9.0 is available on eBay for US$40. Elements 10 for $70.
From private sellers.

--

On 9/10/2012 1:37 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 20:02:31 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The great circle route from Switzerland to Aus/NZ goes over Asia, not
>>> N.A. So as a first guess it may be more expensive to start (though
>>> international fare pricing can be bizarre.)
>>>
>>> On that note, I would bet that if she booked back to back round trips,
>>> one from NZ/AUS to the US and booked another (while in the US) from
>>> there to Switzerland and back to the US that the total airfare would be
>>> enough cheaper that it would pay for CS6 in its entirety. This would
>>> take a lot of research and bargain hunting (not to mention resulting in
>>> more travel and stops for Mme Stevens) but could be a way through.
>>>

>> Methinks the Duck was thinking about her shopping.

> Shudder.
>
> The last time she returned from Switzerland and the time before that
> when she came back from India she managed to fit a carpet into her
> luggage.

I like to hold my wife's hand, when w go out.
Keeps hr from shopping.
One member of my CC pays much more for his lenses and cameras than most.
There is a jewelry store is two down from his camera store, his wife
encourages him to get the latest. He pays more for her jewelry than he
does for his new toys.

--
Peter