Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A1300

Canon A1300

James Silverton

My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
of things.

I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
still available with direct viewfinders?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

me

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
>making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
>want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
>viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
>a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
>camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
>Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
>it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
>intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
>of things.
>
>I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
>Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
>still available with direct viewfinders?

Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

James Silverton

On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
>> making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
>> want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
>> viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
>> a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
>> camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
>> Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
>> it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
>> intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
>> of things.
>>
>> I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
>> Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
>> still available with direct viewfinders?

> Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Irwell

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:05:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
>>> making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
>>> want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
>>> viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
>>> a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
>>> camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
>>> Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
>>> it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
>>> intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
>>> of things.
>>>
>>> I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
>>> Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
>>> still available with direct viewfinders?

>> Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

I still use my Sony W300, it has an optical viewfinder, OK for composing
the camera is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

tony cooper

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:33:10 -0700, Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:05:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:

>>> Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

>I still use my Sony W300, it has an optical viewfinder, OK for composing
>the camera is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

My only contribution is that if you are used to using a viewfinder,
when the replacement camera is purchased buy one with a viewfinder.

I have a dslr and a compact camera. Every time I use the compact,
which does not have a viewfinder, I automatically bring it up to eye
level. I've missed shots because of this.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida