Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > warehouse kindle

warehouse kindle

Reg@nospam.com

The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Reg@nospam.com

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

i should have googled this first
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

Frank Williams

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
and the Kindle is way way out of date now.

To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.

David Empson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

It shows advertisements. Not sure how/where they appear, as I haven't
paid close attention to the details.

In the US, that model is somewhat cheaper than the non-sponsored one
(which doesn't show ads).

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

JohnO

On Friday, 7 September 2012 10:32:22 UTC+12, (unknown) wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> >The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import

> >sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

> i should have googled this first
>
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

I ordered the one without the sponsored ads as to me the price difference didn't warrant the messy intrusion.

Of interest is the extra price option of 3G. With this, you don't need to be in a WIFI zone to browse, purchase and download books - almost anywhere in the world with cellular coverage and it just works. Not only that, it is free and without any form of cellular account, in the vast majority of countries where you are likely to be (subject to the fine print of course).

Gordon

On 2012-09-06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Ads until you chuck it in the bin.

Gordon

On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>
> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.

Greetings Roger,

Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Gordon

On 2012-09-07, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Friday, 7 September 2012 10:32:22 UTC+12, (unknown) wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>> >The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import

>> >sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> i should have googled this first
>>
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

> I ordered the one without the sponsored ads as to me the price difference didn't warrant the messy intrusion.
>
> Of interest is the extra price option of 3G. With this, you don't need to be in a WIFI zone to browse, purchase and download books - almost anywhere in the world with cellular coverage and it just works. Not only that, it is free and without any form of cellular account, in the vast majority of countries where you are likely to be (subject to the fine print of course).

I see some irony in this, you can downlaod a book anywhere, which takes ones
some many hours or reading pleasure.

Frank Williams

On 7 Sep 2012 05:22:04 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
>> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>>
>> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.
>>

>Greetings Roger,
>
>Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
>ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Yes very obsolete as they are now been replaced with new ones, and PDF
files are listed ass Ebooks..

victor

On 7/09/2012 5:22 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
>> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>>
>> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.
>>

> Greetings Roger,
>
> Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
> ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Amazon have 62% of the e-book market, ibook store has 16%, Barnes &
Noble has 20%, none of them are pdf books.
Amazon just released a new e-ink kindle, so its definitely not out of date.
The ipad is a great media player, the Kindle is the best e-reader.