Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > IP connections

IP connections

Hans Vlems

On 6 sep, 02:42, Don't make my brown eyes China Blue
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
> *Hans Vlems <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm asked to write a program that runs on a Windows or Linux host and
> > must set up a telnet connection to a network device. This network
> > device understands very basic commands (one or two letters) and
> > produces output, depending on the command. The proud owner of this hi-
> > tech device doesn't want to initiate a session from the command prompt
> > but rather run a program that issues the same command(-sequence) every

> This sounds like a job for expect, which runs on multiple platforms. You can
> also do this in plain Tcl and other scripting languages which offer a uniform
> network interface for a variety of platforms beyond unices and Windows.
>
> For Tcl and expect help you can try comp.lang.tcl.
>
> --
> My name Indigo Montoya. *\\ * * * *Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
> You flamed my father. * * \' * * * * At least I can stay in character.
> Prepare to be spanked. * // * * * * * * * When you look into the void,
> Stop posting that! * * *`/ *the void looks into you, and fulfillsyou.

Given what others wrote about portability of a program I decided to
stick to
Windows and try the socket approach. If it can't be done easily in C
then the
person who asked for help is just as qualified to learn Python or Tcl
as I am.
And has plenty more time too
Hans