Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ebay's most MASSIVE scam yet! (Final value fees on shipping charges!!)

Ebay's most MASSIVE scam yet! (Final value fees on shipping charges!!)

RichA

They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
to charge fees to every single seller. They must make a massive
profit from this.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
> shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
> some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
> items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
> Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
> to charge fees to every single seller.

except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
with ridiculous shipping fees.

> They must make a massive profit from this.

amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

if you don't like it, don't use it.

RichA

On Sep 4, 10:41*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! *As if
> > shipping charges are a profit centre! *They said they did this because
> > some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
> > items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
> > Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
> > to charge fees to every single seller.

> except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
> with ridiculous shipping fees.
>
> > They must make a massive profit from this.

> amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.
>
> if you don't like it, don't use it.

Probably not going to for anything under $100.00 anymore, and will
refuse to sell outside of Canada or the U.S. because of the cost of
shipping and attendant Ebay charges. Not worth it. Besides,
dedicated (niche) sites are popping up now that cater to selling
various items, like camera equipment and they don't charge, so the
only charge will be paypal's cut.
I've sold some camera stuff on astromart.com (primarily telescopes)
and they only charge an initial $12 for registration, plus the calibre
of buyer is FAR better that what is found on Ebay.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've sold some camera stuff on astromart.com (primarily telescopes)
> and they only charge an initial $12 for registration, plus the calibre
> of buyer is FAR better that what is found on Ebay.

which means you don't get the morons who bid above what it's worth,
sometimes even more than what you can pay for one new.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, R. Mark Clayton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> They must make a massive profit from this.

> > amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

> Indeed, but is should make a profit from buying and selling, not sneaky
> hidden fees.

there's nothing sneaky about it.

all of their fees are explained on their site and there are even
websites and apps that can calculate the total amount for you.

anyone who is surprised by the fees didn't do their homework.

> > if you don't like it, don't use it.

> I don't - ever since Paypal became more or less obligatory.

your loss. sometimes there are some incredible deals to be had, or very
rare and unusual items that can't be found anywhere else.

tony cooper

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:08:40 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:040920121941198391%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
>>> shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
>>> some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
>>> items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
>>> Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
>>> to charge fees to every single seller.

>> except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
>> with ridiculous shipping fees.
>>
>>> They must make a massive profit from this.

>> amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

>Indeed, but is should make a profit from buying and selling, not sneaky
>hidden fees.

The fees are so well hidden that they appear in this very post.

I was not aware that eBay bought or sold anything.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
>shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
>some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
>items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
>Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
>to charge fees to every single seller. They must make a massive
>profit from this.

One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.

Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
$100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
incomplete or otherwise not as described?

Answer: You get $1.00.

That had to stop.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
> unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
> for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.

it still is.

there are still items for sale with absurd shipping fees, and i haven't
noticed a decrease at all. fortunately, it's the exception, not the
rule.

> Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
> $100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
> incomplete or otherwise not as described?
>
> Answer: You get $1.00.

answer: it depends.

it's actually up to the seller whether to refund shipping and in my
experience, the full amount will be refunded. i've had 3 refunds in the
last couple of years, and they all included shipping.

of course, you'll have to pay to ship it back to them. that part is not
covered.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, you have far more problems getting sub-$100 buyers to pay, defaults can
> run 20%.

bullshit. it's nowhere near that high.

Trevor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
> unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
> for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.
>
> Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
> $100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
> incomplete or otherwise not as described?
>
> Answer: You get $1.00.
>
> That had to stop.

Right, and you think it would stop through people refusing to take such a
chance. Apparently some people are their own worst enemies.

Trevor.