Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What should I pay for a polarizing filter?

What should I pay for a polarizing filter?

PeterN

On 9/1/2012 8:25 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:37:05 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> : I lost the links ages ago but there's a Polish (?) blog out there with
> : sample images which convinced me that Hoya HMC filters were good enough
> : and the better filters cut down another chunk of flare to make it
> : worthwhile if you were shooting under difficult conditions like
> : streetlights at night.
> :
> : Beyond a certain point I wonder if it's worth the bother as flare can have
> : an artistic quality and add a certain charm to photographs.
>
> Or not. The times I've gotten flare on my photographs, "charm" wasn't one of
> the words I used to describe it. ;^)

There really is simple test for a filter. Take a shot or two directly at
a point source light, then at some angles to the light source. If no
flare, you're in.

Let me add one more comment. Even a smidgeon of foreign matter, or a
small scratch can cause a flare.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 9/1/2012 8:49 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 00:22:51 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >Because of aquisitions over the past couple of years, three of my most-used
> : >lenses are now 77mm diameter. So imagine my irritation last weekend when I
> : >reached for a 77mm circular polarizer and realized that I don't have one! My
> : >largest polarizer is 67mm. :^|
> : >
> : >So, off to the B&H Web site to find what I need. But it seems that the prices
> : >of polarizers can now vary by a factor of five or six ($45 to $275, more or
> : >less). So can you guys help me sort this out? How much does a serious
> : >photographer have to spend? In the "old days" I'd have bought the $45
> : >polarizer without a second thought. Should I reconsider that attitude now? Are
> : >there actually important differences, or is it all marketing hype?
> :
> :
> : I bought my 77mm CPL a few years ago. It cost me a lot of money but
> : has proved to be a wise investment. The brand is B+W, it is made in
> : Germany from Schott glass (Carl Zeiss Group), it is multi-coated and
> : is sealed at the edges. It is therefore completely waterproof. That
> : matters because you can use wet cleaning methods and the water never
> : penetrates the polariser matrix between the two sheets of glass. Also,
> : no problem using it in adverse weather or high humidity.
> :
> : The ones with sealed edges are called Kaesemann.
> : <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66_045620_77mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.ht ml>
> : or
> : http://preview.tinyurl.com/9e4l72x
> :
> : $144.95 from B&H with free shipping. Fine value IMHO.
>
> Yeah, that one caught my eye on the B&H site yesterday. I had about resigned
> myself to buying a couple of them when I noticed that some ostensibly similar
> filters were dramatically cheaper and others dramatically more expensive.
> Which left me nothing but confused. But so far, everyone seems to be giving me
> the same advice, so the B&W Kaesemann is probably what I'll end up with.
>
> One point: Does that model let you put a lens cap on over it? The reviews I've
> read complain that some of the thinner ones don't.

Bob,
I have a thin Hoya which accepts a lens cap easily. Your real
alternatives, are to call B&H tomorrow, they are closed Saturdays, or
try Hunts, which is near you. I have found Hunts extremely reliable.
Gary Farber is the owner and very responsive.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:32:55 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:37:05 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > : I lost the links ages ago but there's a Polish (?) blog out there with
: > : sample images which convinced me that Hoya HMC filters were good enough
: > : and the better filters cut down another chunk of flare to make it
: > : worthwhile if you were shooting under difficult conditions like
: > : streetlights at night.
: > :
: > : Beyond a certain point I wonder if it's worth the bother as flare can
: > : have an artistic quality and add a certain charm to photographs.
: >
: > Or not. The times I've gotten flare on my photographs, "charm" wasn't one
: > of the words I used to describe it. ;^)
:
: True.
:
: I found the filter comparisons. You can look at the them yourself and
: someone else's general impression of the Hoya HD filters.
:
: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...roduction.html

Eep! The first thing I did with this article, after trying to slog my way
through the physics of polarization, was read the review of the B&W filter
that Bruce recommended. And the reviewer credits it with an inexcusable
manufacturing error! I hope this was just a fluke?

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 00:22:51 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: >Because of aquisitions over the past couple of years, three of my most-used
>: >lenses are now 77mm diameter. So imagine my irritation last weekend when I
>: >reached for a 77mm circular polarizer and realized that I don't have one! My
>: >largest polarizer is 67mm. :^|
>: >
>: >So, off to the B&H Web site to find what I need. But it seems that the prices
>: >of polarizers can now vary by a factor of five or six ($45 to $275, more or
>: >less). So can you guys help me sort this out? How much does a serious
>: >photographer have to spend? In the "old days" I'd have bought the $45
>: >polarizer without a second thought. Should I reconsider that attitude now? Are
>: >there actually important differences, or is it all marketing hype?
>:
>:
>: I bought my 77mm CPL a few years ago. It cost me a lot of money but
>: has proved to be a wise investment. The brand is B+W, it is made in
>: Germany from Schott glass (Carl Zeiss Group), it is multi-coated and
>: is sealed at the edges. It is therefore completely waterproof. That
>: matters because you can use wet cleaning methods and the water never
>: penetrates the polariser matrix between the two sheets of glass. Also,
>: no problem using it in adverse weather or high humidity.
>:
>: The ones with sealed edges are called Kaesemann.
>: <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66_045620_77mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.ht ml>
>: or
>: http://preview.tinyurl.com/9e4l72x
>:
>: $144.95 from B&H with free shipping. Fine value IMHO.
>
>Yeah, that one caught my eye on the B&H site yesterday. I had about resigned
>myself to buying a couple of them when I noticed that some ostensibly similar
>filters were dramatically cheaper and others dramatically more expensive.
>Which left me nothing but confused. But so far, everyone seems to be giving me
>the same advice, so the B&W Kaesemann is probably what I'll end up with.
>
>One point: Does that model let you put a lens cap on over it? The reviews I've
>read complain that some of the thinner ones don't.

B+W do a thin version of many of their filters. It's a long time
since I bought one but I think I got a plastic push-on cap with it.

For the avoidance of doubt, the item linked to above is NOT a thin
filter, so it will have a 77mm female thread at the front that will
take a conventional 77mm lens cap.

Robert Coe

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 08:50:43 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 9/1/2012 8:25 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:37:05 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > : I lost the links ages ago but there's a Polish (?) blog out there with
: > : sample images which convinced me that Hoya HMC filters were good enough
: > : and the better filters cut down another chunk of flare to make it
: > : worthwhile if you were shooting under difficult conditions like
: > : streetlights at night.
: > :
: > : Beyond a certain point I wonder if it's worth the bother as flare can have
: > : an artistic quality and add a certain charm to photographs.
: >
: > Or not. The times I've gotten flare on my photographs, "charm" wasn't one of
: > the words I used to describe it. ;^)
: >
:
: Would it be fair to say that your word wold have qualified for the
: upcoming SI?

Very likely. I can think of three major instances, and I wasn't pleased on any
of those occasions. I don't use that lens much anymore.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:01:34 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
[...]

I'm not in a big hurry. Note that I didn't even realize I didn't have such a
filter until I was doing landscapes on a hazy day in Maine last week.

Hunt's came up with a Tokina 11-16 after I'd spent several months on the
waiting list at B&H and Adorama. The big problem with Hunt's is that their
store in Harvard Square is tiny. Even their larger store out in Melrose is
tiny by NY standards.

Bob

dadiOH

Robert Coe wrote:
> Because of aquisitions over the past couple of years, three of my
> most-used lenses are now 77mm diameter. So imagine my irritation last
> weekend when I reached for a 77mm circular polarizer and realized
> that I don't have one! My largest polarizer is 67mm. :^|

Would a step down adapter cause vignetting? MIght work, I'd certainly
check.

> So, off to the B&H Web site to find what I need. But it seems that
> the prices of polarizers can now vary by a factor of five or six ($45
> to $275, more or less). So can you guys help me sort this out? How
> much does a serious photographer have to spend? In the "old days" I'd
> have bought the $45 polarizer without a second thought. Should I
> reconsider that attitude now? Are there actually important
> differences, or is it all marketing hype?

I would still buy it (the $45). I can think of nothing anyone could do to
one to justify $275. Hell, I spent a lot of time sticking stuff in front of
lenses to *get* flare and/or decrease sharpness.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Charles E. Hardwidge

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:32:55 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :
> http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...roduction.html
>
> Eep! The first thing I did with this article, after trying to slog my way
> through the physics of polarization, was read the review of the B&W filter
> that Bruce recommended. And the reviewer credits it with an inexcusable
> manufacturing error! I hope this was just a fluke?

That was pretty much my reaction as well! Given B&W's reputation the
manufacturing error did seem out of character. I know it happens but...

Personally, I'd go for the Hoya HD but that's just me, and the B&W filter
has its advantages which you may find worth paying for. My milk bottle
camera isn't worth the expense of the B&W and the fact the Hoya only kills
one stop is pretty useful as I need all the light I can get with a small
sensor. The B&W sounds like it may be worth it for you and your usage habits
and as a filter is an investment item it's worth the extra expense.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Charles E. Hardwidge

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k1t4cp$ml2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I would still buy it (the $45). I can think of nothing anyone could do to
> one to justify $275.

Bragging rights?

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:32:55 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: I found the filter comparisons. You can look at the them yourself and
>: someone else's general impression of the Hoya HD filters.
>:
>: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...roduction.html
>
>Eep! The first thing I did with this article, after trying to slog my way
>through the physics of polarization, was read the review of the B&W filter
>that Bruce recommended. And the reviewer credits it with an inexcusable
>manufacturing error! I hope this was just a fluke?

Interesting.

I have never had any problem of that sort with a filter of any brand
since 1972, when I bought my first. But that's a mere forty years,
and I must have only bought a couple of hundred in that time.