Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: interfacing with x86_64 assembler

Re: interfacing with x86_64 assembler

Mark Lawrence

On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:
> Worryingly
>
> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)
>
> Who'd have thought it.
>
> lipska

What's wrong with structured assembler?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Grant Edwards

On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

>> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
>> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
>> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

> What's wrong with structured assembler?

Nothing -- it's called "C".

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Not SENSUOUS ... only
at "FROLICSOME" ... and in

Mark Lawrence

On 31/08/2012 14:58, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

>>> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
>>> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
>>> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

>> What's wrong with structured assembler?

> Nothing -- it's called "C".

<groan>
You cannot be Cerious
</groan>

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Ramchandra Apte

On Friday, 31 August 2012 19:28:11 UTC+5:30, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

> >> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today

> >> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code

> >> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

> > What's wrong with structured assembler?

> Nothing -- it's called "C".
>

> --
>
> Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Not SENSUOUS ... only
>
> at "FROLICSOME" ... and in
>
> gmail.com need of DENTAL WORK ... in
>
> PAIN!!!

Very much true. In fact C is by definition assembly (as the creators just added whatever features the machine supported to C)

John Ladasky

I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?

"C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM, John Ladasky
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?
>
> "C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

Seen it, and it has validity. But I'd rather work with C than actual
assembly any day. And these days, C code is just a bunch of directives
specifying how a compiler should build a program; optimizing compilers
add, remove, reorder, whatever they think fit. It's a pretty high
level language now.

ChrisA

Ramchandra Apte

On Sunday, 2 September 2012 06:06:06 UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM, John Ladasky
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?

> > "C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

> Seen it, and it has validity. But I'd rather work with C than actual
>
> assembly any day. And these days, C code is just a bunch of directives
>
> specifying how a compiler should build a program; optimizing compilers
>
> add, remove, reorder, whatever they think fit. It's a pretty high
>
> level language now.
>

> ChrisA

I thought it was like this:
assembly a low level language