Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problems with chkdsk and boot into safe mode.

Problems with chkdsk and boot into safe mode.

R. Giggs.

I had recently cloned by system drive to my second drive and then made my
second
drive my system (main( drive.

All that seemed to work well, however a while after that I found chkdskk was
running at start up.
Prety sure this is nothing to do with the clone as that worke fine for a
while, no problem at all.
Chkdsk seem to hang, I always reboot and then quit chkdsk when prompted and
can boot up normally
and run fine. I tried torun chkdsk from windows but ti never completed, gave
some error I think.

So them I try and run it from safemode but find I can;t boot in safe mode!!
I find it hangs, the last file it lists on the screen is avgidshx, so then
just reboot in normal mode
which works fine.
There is some stuff on the web about avg stopping boot up, I will have to
read more about that.

Some other things, there is system restore and system recovery, I get these
confused.
I think restore gets it back the original setup and recovery rolls it back
to the last working
setup.

The problem with a recovery is is the system actually works in normal mode,
just not in safe mode
so it could recover to a system which did not work in safe mode too.

I am not sure if I tried a system recovery actualy, as I said I get the
things confused!!

I am currently running a third party dick checker, Ariotic Disk Scanner 4.0.
That is nearly halfway through
with no errors reported so far, I do not believe there are any errors anyway
as the system runs fine in
normal more. It's gonna take over another hour to complete, nearly two hours
perhaps.

I know that their is a fix to stop chkdsk running, using fsutil or similar
to reset the bit that
cause chkdsk to run.

I do of course have my original system drive which I should be able to boot
from fine
which is a bonus.

So I seem to have a number of issues.

1. Chkdsk running. - A minor issue I think.
2) Can't boot in safe mode. - A bigger issue.
3) Possible problems with system restore and recover. - However I think I
always had
some problems with these. I think before I would try and do a restore and it
would say it failed
but I then found my system booted normally anyway (not 100% on this) maybe I
had to do a recovery or something.

I guess I shoud familairise myself with restore and recovery so I do not
confuse them, and I need to check if recovery works
or not as I am not 100% sure I tried this.
I am pretty sure I had problems with chkdsk on my old (now dead) computer.

So.. I have a few things to investigate amd decide on wht is the best plan
of action.
I could put th eold drive back in as system drive and put this drive as
second drive and then
run chkdsk on it it from windows, whichd might work better. However if the
3rd part chkdsk
finds no errors that seems a bit of a waste of time probably.

I suppose getting safe mode running should be priority so I may have to try
and disable
avg running to do that.

Done about 90% of the disk check with the 3d party software and no errors.

So i am going to try and disable avg but I have to make an avg recoery disk
to do that.

I can savefly say anti-virus software has caused me ten time more problems
that any virus ever!!

There was one other thing I tried, I connected my usb drives and then
removed them again using
the safely remove hardware just incase removing one incorrectly mmight have
caused an isue.

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:
> [...]
> second drive and then
> run chkdsk on it it from windows, whichd might work better. However if the
> 3rd part chkdsk
> finds no errors that seems a bit of a waste of time probably.
>

> I suppose getting safe mode running should be priority so I may have to try
> and disable
> avg running to do that.
>
> Done about 90% of the disk check with the 3d party software and no errors.
>
> So i am going to try and disable avg but I have to make an avg recoery disk
> to do that.
>
> I can savefly say anti-virus software has caused me ten time more problems
> that any virus ever!!
>
> There was one other thing I tried, I connected my usb drives and then
> removed them again using
> the safely remove hardware just incase removing one incorrectly mmight have

Let your current repair tool finish. It may fix everything
for you, and then there will be no further issues.

*******

FSUTIL cannot clear the dirty bit. CHKDSK is going to continue
to run, as instructed by the dirty bit. FSUTIL can be used
to assert the dirty bit, forcing CHKDSK to run at startup. But
you can't do it the other way. There's no "clear" option with
the FSUTIL. That's done on purpose.

*******

if the damage is severe enough, if may take "re-laying" the
file system, to fix it. It requires copying all the files
off the partition, format the partition, do a "fixboot" to put back
the partition boot code, copy the files back onto the partition,
and then it should boot again. And all of that, requires a
second OS as a helper (the file copy step perhaps). As well
as using your installer CD, to gain access to the repair console.
Suffice to say, we don't "want to go here", unless absolutely
necessary, and all other possibilities have been exhausted.

I've had to do that a couple times, but only for data partitions
(so no "fixboot" needed for that). Copying off files there, is a snap.
Dealing with C:, is another matter entirely. Very messy.

Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k1lv5v$n37$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> the FSUTIL. That's done on purpose.
>
> *******
>
> if the damage is severe enough, if may take "re-laying" the
> file system, to fix it. It requires copying all the files
> off the partition, format the partition, do a "fixboot" to put back
> the partition boot code, copy the files back onto the partition,
> and then it should boot again. And all of that, requires a
> second OS as a helper (the file copy step perhaps). As well
> as using your installer CD, to gain access to the repair console.
> Suffice to say, we don't "want to go here", unless absolutely
> necessary, and all other possibilities have been exhausted.
>
> I've had to do that a couple times, but only for data partitions
> (so no "fixboot" needed for that). Copying off files there, is a snap.
> Dealing with C:, is another matter entirely. Very messy.

Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
reset the bit?

So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning process?

A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
before,
I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.

I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may remove
avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
when it
as not in use.

That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.

Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so my
usb
drive idea is out the window.

THink I will reboot on the old drive

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
> reset the bit?
>
> So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
> and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning process?
>
> A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
> i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
> before,
> I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
>

> I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may remove
> avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
> or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
> when it
> as not in use.
>
> That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
>
> Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so my
> usb
> drive idea is out the window.
>
> THink I will reboot on the old drive

Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
maintenance is complete.

Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
another try.

This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...

And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.

On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
the fixboot is needed, to put it back.

Paul

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VJv%r.90596$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
> and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning
> process?
>
> A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
> i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
> before,
> I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
>

> I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may
> remove
> avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
> or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
> when it
> as not in use.
>
> That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
>
> Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so

Now this is getting silly, I went baack to the old drive and it stiill
started chkdsk.
I was a bit confused, as it said g: too
..

I went back to one drive. Whcih was a mistake I should have quite and booted
up

So that is what I will do now. does not take long to switch fortunately!!

R. Giggs.

news:k1m23v$9td$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
>> reset the bit?
>>
>> So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
>> and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning
>> process?
>>
>> A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
>> i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
>> before,
>> I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
>>

>> I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may
>> remove
>> avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
>> or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
>> when it
>> as not in use.
>>
>> That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
>>
>> Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so
>> my usb
>> drive idea is out the window.
>>
>> THink I will reboot on the old drive

> Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
> doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
> While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
> it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
> needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
> maintenance is complete.
>
> Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
> another try.

Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
ie about 3%

so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
forever.

> This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
> Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
>
> And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
> was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
>
> On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
> the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
> as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
> the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
>
> Paul

OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.

http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...0CERev_1_3.pdf

It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.

I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.

The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
cloned
recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.

The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
other bit?

I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
conicidence..

What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
to check stuff like that
the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
been done to avg and stuff
if any.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FRw%r.304337$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

>> Paul
>>

> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
>

> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...0CERev_1_3.pdf
>
> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
>
> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
>
> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
> cloned
> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
>
> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
> other bit?
>
> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
> conicidence..
>
> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
> to check stuff like that
> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have

GOOD NEWS!!!

After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!

Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
software
uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so you
give up .
BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!

Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens then
I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iWw%r.192896$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FRw%r.304337$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k1m23v$9td$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
>>> doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
>>> While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
>>> it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
>>> needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
>>> maintenance is complete.
>>>
>>> Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
>>> another try.

>> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
>> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
>> ie about 3%
>>
>> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
>> forever.
>>

>>> This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
>>> Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
>>>
>>> And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
>>> was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
>>>
>>> On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
>>> the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
>>> as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
>>> the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
>> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
>>

>> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...0CERev_1_3.pdf
>>
>> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
>>
>> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
>>
>> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
>> cloned
>> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
>>
>> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
>> other bit?
>>
>> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
>> conicidence..
>>
>> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I
>> need to check stuff like that
>> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
>> been done to avg and stuff
>> if any.
>>

> GOOD NEWS!!!
>
> After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!
>
> Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
> software
> uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so
> you give up .
> BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
>
> Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens
> then
> I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can boot
into safe
mode.

All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to be
the last thing
listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably taking
a lot of unjustified flack
just because it was tha last on the particular list.
After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets very
far.

So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
thought it was
rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?

Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as I
deleted
it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I will
look for a new
ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install than
the last one.

What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
physically moving the
cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.

This is the old boot .ini

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
other drive.
this bit
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:
> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FRw%r.304337$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k1m23v$9td$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
>>> doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
>>> While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
>>> it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
>>> needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
>>> maintenance is complete.
>>>
>>> Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
>>> another try.

>> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
>> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
>> ie about 3%
>>
>> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
>> forever.
>>
>>> This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
>>> Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
>>>
>>> And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
>>> was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
>>>
>>> On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
>>> the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
>>> as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
>>> the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
>> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
>>

>> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...0CERev_1_3.pdf
>>
>> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
>>
>> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
>>
>> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
>> cloned
>> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
>>
>> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
>> other bit?
>>
>> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
>> conicidence..
>>
>> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
>> to check stuff like that
>> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
>> been done to avg and stuff
>> if any.
>>

> GOOD NEWS!!!
>
> After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!
>
> Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
> software
> uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so you
> give up .
> BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
>
> Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens then
> I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

Just keep an eye on the SMART statistics, reallocated sectors that sort of thing.
If it was a hardware problem, you might see the issue reflected in the SMART.

If the problem was caused by turning off the disk while the OS was still
running, then you'd expect the possibility of a problem or two.

Paul

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can boot
> into safe
> mode.
>
> All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to be
> the last thing
> listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably taking
> a lot of unjustified flack
> just because it was tha last on the particular list.
> After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets very
> far.
>
> So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
> thought it was
> rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?
>
> Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as I
> deleted
> it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I will
> look for a new
> ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install than
> the last one.
>
> What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
> physically moving the
> cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.
>
> This is the old boot .ini
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=15
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
> c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"
>

> I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
> other drive.
> this bit
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
> seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
> multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?

Your system now sounds complicated enough, you'll be giving the
rest of us lessons

I don't really recommend things like this, but it's available if you
want to get yourself in more trouble. I've read the odd posting or two,
where someone reduces their computer to an unbootable mess with this.
Be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootcfg

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521

My multiboot system, has one OS per disk, and I use the BIOS popup menu
to select disk 1 or disk 2 for booting. On my current motherboard, you
press F8 at system start, to get the BIOS boot menu to pop up. And I
select a disk to use from there. Different brands of motherboards, use
a different key. My Asrock motherboard, uses F11 for example. Check
the BIOS screen at startup, for a summary of available key presses.

Doing it that way, each boot.ini only has one entry, and the disks can
be unplugged independently without an issue.

Paul