Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problems with chkdsk and boot into safe mode.

Problems with chkdsk and boot into safe mode.

R. Giggs.

news:k1mrum$8nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can
>> boot into safe
>> mode.
>>
>> All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to
>> be the last thing
>> listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably
>> taking a lot of unjustified flack
>> just because it was tha last on the particular list.
>> After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets
>> very far.
>>
>> So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
>> thought it was
>> rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?
>>
>> Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as
>> I deleted
>> it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I
>> will look for a new
>> ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install
>> than the last one.
>>
>> What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
>> physically moving the
>> cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.
>>
>> This is the old boot .ini
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=15
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
>> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
>> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
>> c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"
>>

>> I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
>> other drive.
>> this bit
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
>> seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
>> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
>> multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?

> Your system now sounds complicated enough, you'll be giving the
> rest of us lessons

lol perhaps!!

The Ubuntu thing is form of ubuntu which runs on the windows
file system. That was pretty useful are you could access windows files
and override protected windows files IIRC.

I put ubuntu on it ages ago, I would have used it more but I forgot
where I wrote the pass words down and so could not get on my own
system. I can stil restore it onto my PC but without the password there
is not much point.

Anyhow I only added the last line for ubuntu, the recovery console thing
was already there. I guess it must be on most systems.

> I don't really recommend things like this, but it's available if you
> want to get yourself in more trouble. I've read the odd posting or two,
> where someone reduces their computer to an unbootable mess with this.
> Be careful.

But this boot.ini is just a text file so no prolems changing it really not
when I have two bootable drives. If I screw up boot.ini I can put
the drive on as a slave and exit boot.ini.

But I can see problems though I mean the file references C: and if it were
in the
othr drive bay it would not be c: so yes plenty of room to mess things up
and I realise I do not really understand this, this file is presumable
loaded by te BIOS?

But anyhow as long as I have a drive which will booot by itself I have no
problems trying
stuff especially you just select an option, if thta option does not work
then no need to
welect it.

Anyhow I found this which answers my questins somewhat

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314081

a.. The term "scsi(0)" means that the primary controller (that is frequently
the only controller) is responsible for the device. If there are two SCSI
controllers, and the disk is associated with the second controller, the
controller is named "scsi(1)".

If the system uses IDE, enhanced IDE (EIDE), or Enhanced Small Device
Interface (ESDI) drives, or if the system uses a SCSI adapter that does not
have a built-in BIOS, replace "scsi" with "multi".
a.. The term "disk(0)" refers to the SCSI logical unit (LUN) to use. This
may be a separate disk, but most SCSI setups have only one LUN for each SCSI
ID.
a.. The term "rdisk(0)" refers to physical disk 1.
a.. The term "partition(1)" is the partition on the first drive in the
computer. If there are two partitions, partition C is partition(1) and
partition D is partition(2).

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootcfg
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521
>
> My multiboot system, has one OS per disk, and I use the BIOS popup menu
> to select disk 1 or disk 2 for booting. On my current motherboard, you
> press F8 at system start, to get the BIOS boot menu to pop up. And I
> select a disk to use from there. Different brands of motherboards, use
> a different key. My Asrock motherboard, uses F11 for example. Check
> the BIOS screen at startup, for a summary of available key presses.
>
> Doing it that way, each boot.ini only has one entry, and the disks can
> be unplugged independently without an issue.

OK I think mine says press f1 for boot menu, and ecs to entry bios,
I can't remember really, there is some other option too,
I should write it down. It may be similar to this mine is HP

SImilar to these.

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/up...1253416372.jpg

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c01413989.jpg

But I think after that I get a menu with 3 options ie

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Ubuntu

When that screen timed I get a menu with 3 options ie

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Ubuntu

And at the bottom it says press F8 and I get a load of boot options
including safe mofe.
I am not too familiar with it as I very rarely do anything but a normal
windows boot
I am normally too scared to try anything else!!!

> Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k1mrh1$604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:FRw%r.304337$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k1m23v$9td$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
>>> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
>>> ie about 3%
>>>
>>> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
>>> forever.

>>> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
>>> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
>>>

>>> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...0CERev_1_3.pdf
>>>
>>> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
>>>
>>> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
>>>
>>> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
>>> cloned
>>> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
>>>
>>> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do
>>> the other bit?
>>>
>>> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
>>> conicidence..
>>>
>>> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I
>>> need to check stuff like that
>>> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
>>> been done to avg and stuff
>>> if any.
>>>

>> GOOD NEWS!!!
>>
>> After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is
>> complete!!
>>
>> Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
>> software
>> uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so
>> you give up .
>> BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
>>
>> Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens
>> then
>> I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

> Just keep an eye on the SMART statistics, reallocated sectors that sort of
> thing.
> If it was a hardware problem, you might see the issue reflected in the
> SMART.
>
> If the problem was caused by turning off the disk while the OS was still
> running, then you'd expect the possibility of a problem or two.
>
> Paul

Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it all
means
but every theing comes back 'OK'

SMART ATTRIBUTES:
ID Description Status Value Worst
Threshold Raw Value TEC
1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100 51
0 N.A.
3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100 25
6208 N.A.
4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92 0
8501 N.A.
5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10
0 N.A.
7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253 51
0 N.A.
8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253 15
0 N.A.
9 Power On Time OK 100 100 0
34391 N.A.
10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253 51
0 N.A.
11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2 0
0 N.A.
12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96 0
4149 N.A.
190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100 0
37 N.A.
194 Temperature OK 127 100 0
37 C N.A.
195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100 0
9971601 N.A.
196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253 0
0 N.A.
197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0
0 N.A.
198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253 0
0 N.A.
199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0
0 N.A.
200 Write Error Count OK 100 100 0
0 N.A.
201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100 0
0 N.A.

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it all
> means
> but every theing comes back 'OK'
>

> SMART ATTRIBUTES:
> ID Description Status Value Worst
> Threshold Raw Value TEC
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100 51
> 0 N.A.
> 3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100 25
> 6208 N.A.
> 4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92 0
> 8501 N.A.
> 5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10
> 0 N.A.
> 7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253 51
> 0 N.A.
> 8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253 15
> 0 N.A.
> 9 Power On Time OK 100 100 0
> 34391 N.A.
> 10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253 51
> 0 N.A.
> 11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2 0
> 0 N.A.
> 12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96 0
> 4149 N.A.
> 190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100 0
> 37 N.A.
> 194 Temperature OK 127 100 0
> 37 C N.A.
> 195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100 0
> 9971601 N.A.
> 196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0
> 0 N.A.
> 200 Write Error Count OK 100 100 0
> 0 N.A.
> 201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100 0
> 0 N.A.

The raw value is zero for both of these fields, so it looks fine.

Status Value Worst Threshold Raw Value
Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10 0
Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0 0

When I had a disk start to go downhill, this is the kind of thing I was seeing.
This was from HDTune free version. These are readings on three separate days.
The disk was replaced, mainly because it was a performance issue as much as
anything else. The damaged area of the disk was... slow.

Current Worst Threshold Data Status
Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 OK
Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 57 OK
Reallocated Sector Count 98 98 36 104 OK

Paul

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it all
> means
> but every theing comes back 'OK'
>
> SMART ATTRIBUTES:
> ID Description Status Value Worst
> Threshold Raw Value TEC
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100 51
> 0 N.A.
> 3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100 25
> 6208 N.A.
> 4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92 0
> 8501 N.A.
> 5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10
> 0 N.A.
> 7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253 51
> 0 N.A.
> 8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253 15
> 0 N.A.
> 9 Power On Time OK 100 100 0
> 34391 N.A.
> 10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253 51
> 0 N.A.
> 11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2 0
> 0 N.A.
> 12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96 0
> 4149 N.A.
> 190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100 0
> 37 N.A.
> 194 Temperature OK 127 100 0
> 37 C N.A.
> 195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100 0
> 9971601 N.A.
> 196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253 0
> 0 N.A.
> 199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0
> 0 N.A.
> 200 Write Error Count OK 100 100 0
> 0 N.A.
> 201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100 0
> 0 N.A.

The raw value is zero for both of these fields, so it looks fine.

Status Value Worst Threshold Raw Value
Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10 0
Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0 0

When I had a disk start to go downhill, this is the kind of thing I was seeing.
This was from HDTune free version. These are readings on three separate days.
The disk was replaced, mainly because it was a performance issue as much as
anything else. The damaged area of the disk was... slow.

Current Worst Threshold Data Status
Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 OK
Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 57 OK
Reallocated Sector Count 98 98 36 104 OK

Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k1om07$vh6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it
>> all means
>> but every theing comes back 'OK'
>>

>> SMART ATTRIBUTES:
>> ID Description Status Value Worst
>> Threshold Raw Value TEC
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100
>> 51 0 N.A.
>> 3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100
>> 25 6208 N.A.
>> 4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92
>> 0 8501 N.A.
>> 5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253
>> 10 0 N.A.
>> 7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253
>> 51 0 N.A.
>> 8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253
>> 15 0 N.A.
>> 9 Power On Time OK 100 100
>> 0 34391 N.A.
>> 10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253
>> 51 0 N.A.
>> 11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96
>> 0 4149 N.A.
>> 190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100
>> 0 37 N.A.
>> 194 Temperature OK 127 100
>> 0 37 C N.A.
>> 195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100
>> 0 9971601 N.A.
>> 196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 200 Write Error Count OK 100 100
>> 0 0 N.A.
>> 201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100
>> 0 0 N.A.
>>

> The raw value is zero for both of these fields, so it looks fine.
>
> Status Value Worst Threshold Raw
> Value
> Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10 0
> Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0 0
>
> When I had a disk start to go downhill, this is the kind of thing I was
> seeing.
> This was from HDTune free version. These are readings on three separate
> days.
> The disk was replaced, mainly because it was a performance issue as much
> as
> anything else. The damaged area of the disk was... slow.
>
> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 OK
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 57 OK
> Reallocated Sector Count 98 98 36 104 OK
>
> Paul

Yes it seems my drive is OK, I use DiskCheckup by PassMark Software.
Not too sure what caused the original problem, but will keep an eye on it
just in case, I am assuming no software could cause the problem, I
ssuspected
an aborted install of McAfee antivirus at one point, Adobe tried to install
it but
anti-virus seem to cause more serious problems than they solve so I am only
having one
on my machine. So maybe it way my 'present' from McAfee for hot usuing their
software!!!

Actually you can set this bit manually as it can be done by fsutil or
whatever?