Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What makes a mac better?

Re: What makes a mac better?

Laszlo Lebrun

On 27.08.2012 05:50, Mxsmanic wrote:
> The Mac used to have a huge advantage for graphics, electronic publishing,
> music and video editing, etc. That advantage is gone today, since most
> software for these domains runs on both PCs and Macs. There's still a bit more
> choice in the Mac world,

More choice?
ROTFL
Everything really pro runs on Windows, Macs are toys.

A late progress: Pro Tools finally also available (after a decade) on
Macs as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKjT...layer_embedded

Read the comments an how people owning Macs were frustrated not to get
the same power Software than Windows-based tools.

Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
software...

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round !

nospam

In article <k1j71s$20j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
> software...

what for? imovie is comparable and free and final cut is more capable.

Laszlo Lebrun

On 28.08.2012 21:46, nospam wrote:
> In article <k1j71s$20j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
>> software...

> what for? imovie is comparable

You really have got absolutely no clue!
iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

.... and free and final cut is more capable.

LOL
FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.
Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
I am excited to read your detailed answer.

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round !

-hh

Laszlo Lebrun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 28.08.2012 21:46, nospam wrote:
> > Laszlo Lebrun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous
> >> Vegas software...

> > what for? imovie is comparable

> You really have got absolutely no clue!
> iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

Frankly, I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I did quickly look it
up...at a MSRP of $699 per seat, I'd certainly hope that it
outperforms Apple's ("bundled for 'free' with each new Mac hardware
purchase") iMovie, or else it wouldn't be a particularly good value.

> [>] ... and free and final cut is more capable.
>

> LOL
> FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.
> Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
> graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

I'm similarly now familiar with Final Cut (any flavor), although I've
heard how Apple really screwed things up IMO. In any case, the new
FC"X" version lists for $300, so from a simplistic price comparison
paradigm standpoint, I'd be surprised if it was as capable as Sony's
Vegas.

> So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
> I am excited to read your detailed answer.

I'd be interested in hearing this on a more generalized basis - the
pros/cons of both the consumer end products (iMovie and Sony's Movie
Studio products, plus similars) as well as the higher end - - within
reason: don't necessarily think that stuff that's notionally in the
$10K per seat range is particularly germane for most readers, except
as a reference benchmark for how the moving image industry in a
broader sense.

-hh

nospam

In article <k1qh61$4v3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
> >> software...

> > what for? imovie is comparable

> You really have got absolutely no clue!
> iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

so what? most people aren't pros and imovie is all they need. sort of
like photoshop elements & full photoshop.

those who are pros will want something more.

> ... and free and final cut is more capable.
> >

> LOL
> FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.

wrong. multicam used to be in fcp. it was dropped with the fcpx rewrite
and then added back.

<http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57...pro-x-update-b
rings-multicam-back-into-the-picture/>
Multicam editing was present in previous versions of the Final Cut
Pro suite, dating back to 2005 but was not included in this latest
version of the editing suite. Under the new system, multicam works
with up to 64 different camera angles and can do video or still clips
at any resolution, format, and frame rate that's supported by the
software.

> Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
> graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

very wrong.

> So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
> I am excited to read your detailed answer.

pros normally use final cut pro or avid, not vegas.

in fact, people used to buy macs *just* to run final cut. that changed
with fcpx though.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
-hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Frankly, I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I did quickly look it
> up...at a MSRP of $699 per seat, I'd certainly hope that it
> outperforms Apple's ("bundled for 'free' with each new Mac hardware
> purchase") iMovie, or else it wouldn't be a particularly good value.

when i googled for it, i found this, for $57, which is why i said it
was comparable to imovie.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...SMS11000_Vegas
_Movie_Studio_HD_Platinum.html>

checking further, it looks like there's also a $600 msrp version, which
i missed the other day. that 's probably comparable to final cut.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Laszlo Lebrun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27.08.2012 05:50, Mxsmanic wrote:
>> The Mac used to have a huge advantage for graphics, electronic publishing,
>> music and video editing, etc. That advantage is gone today, since most
>> software for these domains runs on both PCs and Macs. There's still a bit more
>> choice in the Mac world,

> More choice?
> ROTFL
> Everything really pro runs on Windows, Macs are toys.

"So how DO you replace the window manager and the graphics
subsystem on Windows?" wonders the Linux user ...

And how can I make it so that I don't need to click on windows to
become active, but merely last touched them with the cursor ---
and of course so that they *don't* pop in front like a child with
ADHD ... that's really, really annoying, the smaller the screen,
the more ...

And how do I teach Windows to copy marked text (just mark it with
the left mouse button, no CTRL-C) and to paste it with the middle
mouse button (no CTRL-V)?

-Wolfgang