Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Prevent close window/browser??

Prevent close window/browser??

B Broome

Hello,
Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
the entire application.

I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

Leonidas Jones

B Broome wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
> the entire application.
>
> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

I'll try to look into this some, though someone else may have more
imemdiate insight. I don't really know, since, when I close the last
tab, I want the program to close.

I am sure you have your reasons, but, just out of curiouslty, what is
the purpose in keeping the program open with no tab open?

By the way, the cross post may not be appreciated in some of the
developer groups you've posted tol

Lee

scratch

B Broome wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
> the entire application.

What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?

-scratch

Jay Catter

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fCX8d.498667$(E-Mail Removed):

> B Broome wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser
>> from
>> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
>> freaking insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4
>> (and before) days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the
>> entire application but I hated it then and I hate it now. The
>> Mozilla browsers seem to be the only applications in which both close
>> and exit have the capability to close the entire application.
>>
>> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
>> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
>> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

I wanted the same thing. I finally did it. I am not quite sure of the
answer because I tried different things before I got it fixed, but I think
"Blanklast" extension is the solution.

Jay

> I'll try to look into this some, though someone else may have more
> imemdiate insight. I don't really know, since, when I close the last
> tab, I want the program to close.
>
> I am sure you have your reasons, but, just out of curiouslty, what is
> the purpose in keeping the program open with no tab open?
>
> By the way, the cross post may not be appreciated in some of the
> developer groups you've posted tol
>
> Lee

Leonidas Jones

scratch wrote:
> B Broome wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
>> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
>> freaking
>> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
>> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire
>> application
>> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to
>> be the
>> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to
>> close
>> the entire application.

> What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?
>
> -scratch

That's pretty much my questions as well, but everyone has their own
needs. I am curious as to the reason though.

Lee

Jace

B Broome wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
> the entire application.
>
> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
close button disappears...
-jace

Steve IA

> B Broome wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
> > shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
> > insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
> > days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
> > but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
> > only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
> > the entire application.

Is this what you need?
Tab Browser Extension> Tab> TB Preferences> Close Tab> Advanced
Behavior> Last Tab Closing> ..select action you want.

Steve
soutiowa

zeddock

Jace wrote:
> B Broome wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
>> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
>> freaking
>> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
>> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire
>> application
>> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to
>> be the
>> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to
>> close
>> the entire application.
>>
>> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
>> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
>> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

> Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
> close button disappears...
> -jace

I have used some of the TAB extension successfully.
BlankLast is one of them. I hate it when I am trying to close off a
bunch of tabs I have been using and I accidentally close the last one...
Blip! All of a sudden I have to go through a routine of adding a new tab!

Also, have the Extension warn you if you are going to close multiple
tabs.<wink>

-zeddock

B Broome

Thanks for all your replies, BlankLast extension does the trick nicely!
As for your questions:

>I am sure you have your reasons, but, just out of curiouslty, what is
>the purpose in keeping the program open with no tab open?

Mostly so it stays open and awaits my command. My computer is ancient
and takes forever (I maybe somewhat impatient) to launch Firefox again. As
for why do I leave it open with no tab, 1) I frequently accidently close
everything when rapidly maneuvering with mouse gestures (I love them and
won't give them up) 2) call it neat freakness, I just hate leaving open
pages I'm not using.

>By the way, the cross post may not be appreciated in some of the
>developer groups you've posted tol

My apologies to anyone who might have been offended. I tried to limit
the number of newsgroups to ones that this might pertain to. I also left
out any pr0n in my posting.

>What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?

Nothing. Try it in Opera, Excel, Word, OpenOffice, etc. etc. No
windows open, no action. The application just sits there and waits.
Perhaps if you have a fast machine this makes no sense. In my world "close"
closes the window/tab and "exit" closes the whole application.

>Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
>close button disappears...

Tried that but Firefox keeps unchecking the option on me. I think
either Single Window or BlankLast extension is interfering. Not a problem
for me though.

>Also, have the Extension warn you if you are going to close multiple
>tabs.<wink>

Since I'm using mouse gestures to do this I'm usually down to the last
tab by this point. I rarely close all my tabs at once.

Thanks again! I'm much happier with Firefox now!

"B Broome" <agmothic@[spamthis]yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me

freaking
> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire

application
> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be

the
> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to

close
> the entire application.
>
> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

6e7a 6e7a is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Broome
Hello,
Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
insane!!
Yes, there is a solution!

I got fed up as well, so I wrote an extension to do exactly what you want. I call it "Anti Oops". Right now it's in the "sandbox" area of the official add-ons site. If you create an account there you can turn on access to the sandbox and install the extension.

Enjoy!

Prevent browser close Velvet ASP .Net 6 05-18-2007 10:36 PM
Why does JdbcRowSetImpl.close() close the database connection? Paul van Rossem Java 0 04-07-2005 07:01 PM
JavaMail POP3 folder.close() method close also store! Daniel Albisser Java 1 04-07-2004 03:45 PM
How to close child browser while parent close? Denon ASP .Net 1 11-14-2003 08:14 AM

Advertisments