Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Crossover cables and problems

Crossover cables and problems

JD

Hello Experts,

I have an Advent computer (now 18 months old) and, after 18 months of
use, it went belly up, or almost. My Sony monitor began to flicker. I
also had a Samsung laptop and I was able to connect the Sony to it.
There as no flickering then, so the problem was in the Advent's motherboard.

My first thought was to use one of my older video cards but I wasn't
sure that I had the software. Besides, I had thought about using a
video card in Advent with a crossover cable but, when I found that
crossover cable, at both ends, it had a pin connection - 2 groups of 9x9
pins and another spade-like "pin." The connection at the Samsung and the
Advent was 3 rows of 5 pin holes. That crossover cable had 2 "lumps"
between the ends with DV0040. On the cable was written "AWM E101344
style 20276 VW-1,80deg C,30V, DVI digital single link, ----- etc.

Is there a crossover cable with 15 pins (3 rows of 5) on each end?

Could you suggest a way out of this mess?

Thanks

JVH

JD

On 8/27/2012 7:50 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> I have an Advent computer (now 18 months old) and, after 18 months of
>> use, it went belly up, or almost. My Sony monitor began to flicker. I
>> also had a Samsung laptop and I was able to connect the Sony to it.
>> There as no flickering then, so the problem was in the Advent's
>> motherboard.
>>
>> My first thought was to use one of my older video cards but I wasn't
>> sure that I had the software. Besides, I had thought about using a video
>> card in Advent with a crossover cable but, when I found that crossover
>> cable, at both ends, it had a pin connection - 2 groups of 9x9 pins and
>> another spade-like "pin." The connection at the Samsung and the Advent
>> was 3 rows of 5 pin holes. That crossover cable had 2 "lumps" between
>> the ends with DV0040. On the cable was written "AWM E101344 style 20276
>> VW-1,80deg C,30V, DVI digital single link, ----- etc.
>>
>> Is there a crossover cable with 15 pins (3 rows of 5) on each end?
>>
>> Could you suggest a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> JVH

> M1 series..
> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=117&sku=38062
> (M1 male)
> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=117&sku=38063
> (M1 female)

Thanks Robert for both of your posts. I have some adapters but they
don't fit the cable. Another visit to the computer store. More work to
do

Jeff Strickland

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Experts,
>
> I have an Advent computer (now 18 months old) and, after 18 months of use,
> it went belly up, or almost. My Sony monitor began to flicker. I also had
> a Samsung laptop and I was able to connect the Sony to it. There as no
> flickering then, so the problem was in the Advent's motherboard.
>
> My first thought was to use one of my older video cards but I wasn't sure
> that I had the software. Besides, I had thought about using a video card
> in Advent with a crossover cable but, when I found that crossover cable,
> at both ends, it had a pin connection - 2 groups of 9x9 pins and another
> spade-like "pin." The connection at the Samsung and the Advent was 3 rows
> of 5 pin holes. That crossover cable had 2 "lumps" between the ends with
> DV0040. On the cable was written "AWM E101344 style 20276 VW-1,80deg
> C,30V, DVI digital single link, ----- etc.
>
> Is there a crossover cable with 15 pins (3 rows of 5) on each end?
>
> Could you suggest a way out of this mess?
>
> Thanks
>
> JVH

Cross over cable? You do not need a cross over cable, that's for an ethernet
connection -- and I don't think you need a cross over cable for anything
anymore.

You can get any software you need from the video card's manufacturer
website, but video is not that big a deal and most video needs can be
handled by the OS.

In any case, video cables are standardized, so there are only two, and they
are not interchangable. The video cable is defined by the shape, any cable
that has the right shape is the right cable. You can go to pretty much any
computer store and get a new video card, or just a cable. You tell the
person, "I need a video cable for my monitor." Then you either say, "Thank
you," or "I need the other one."

It appears by your description that you have a DVI (Digital Video Interface)
cable. This is the newest video interface, and I think it is not very
popular. I have a couple of these cables, but I have no hardware to plug
them into. That is, they came with monitors, but the computers do not accept
them so I have to use the older RGB style cable.

Are you trying to make the DVI cable fit a connector that is not a DVI
connector? There is no adaptor for that. You must have a connector that
supports the cable, else you cannot use the cable. Typically, the DVI cable
can be removed at both ends -- the monitor end and the computer end -- and
there is another connector on the monitor that supports the other style of
cable (the RGB cable).

You need a card that the cable can be connected to, and what you need is not
a cross over cable.

JD

On 8/29/2012 4:55 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> I have an Advent computer (now 18 months old) and, after 18 months of
>> use, it went belly up, or almost. My Sony monitor began to flicker. I
>> also had a Samsung laptop and I was able to connect the Sony to it.
>> There as no flickering then, so the problem was in the Advent's
>> motherboard.
>>
>> My first thought was to use one of my older video cards but I wasn't
>> sure that I had the software. Besides, I had thought about using a
>> video card in Advent with a crossover cable but, when I found that
>> crossover cable, at both ends, it had a pin connection - 2 groups of
>> 9x9 pins and another spade-like "pin." The connection at the Samsung
>> and the Advent was 3 rows of 5 pin holes. That crossover cable had 2
>> "lumps" between the ends with DV0040. On the cable was written "AWM
>> E101344 style 20276 VW-1,80deg C,30V, DVI digital single link, ----- etc.
>>
>> Is there a crossover cable with 15 pins (3 rows of 5) on each end?
>>
>> Could you suggest a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> JVH

Thanks Jeff for your efforts

> Cross over cable? You do not need a cross over cable, that's for an
> ethernet connection -- and I don't think you need a cross over cable for
> anything anymore.

I discovered that. I found what seemed to be the right cable - a
crossover cable with the 15 pins on each end but when I connected the
laptop to the computer, the screen on the laptop went black. Waaahhh!!!
Sob

> You can get any software you need from the video card's manufacturer
> website, but video is not that big a deal and most video needs can be
> handled by the OS.

Unfortunately there was no video card. What was there was built into the
Foxconn motherboard. I have 2 ATI Rage cards: Rage ATI 128 but the card
only fills about half of the slot. Could that work? The other card
is a Radeon 9000 64M DDR TVO but, again, it would only fill half of the
slot. I was able to download the Rage software but I don't know yet if
that will work.

> In any case, video cables are standardized, so there are only two, and
> they are not interchangable. The video cable is defined by the shape,
> any cable that has the right shape is the right cable. You can go to
> pretty much any computer store and get a new video card, or just a
> cable. You tell the person, "I need a video cable for my monitor." Then
> you either say, "Thank you," or "I need the other one."

I couldn't tell the name of the cable that I took for a crossover. What
was written on it was: "AWM E101344 style 20276 VW-1,80deg C,30V, DVI
digital single link, ....", which was not very enlightening. Does that
seem to be a crossover? There were 2 "lumps" on the cable, equally spaced.

> It appears by your description that you have a DVI (Digital Video
> Interface) cable. This is the newest video interface, and I think it is
> not very popular. I have a couple of these cables, but I have no
> hardware to plug them into. That is, they came with monitors, but the
> computers do not accept them so I have to use the older RGB style cable.

I have a similar situation with cables.

> Are you trying to make the DVI cable fit a connector that is not a DVI
> connector? There is no adaptor for that. You must have a connector that
> supports the cable, else you cannot use the cable. Typically, the DVI
> cable can be removed at both ends -- the monitor end and the computer
> end -- and there is another connector on the monitor that supports the
> other style of cable (the RGB cable).

The cable I have is a perfect fit at both connections, each end has 15
pins in 3 rows of 5 holes.

> You need a card that the cable can be connected to, and what you need is
> not a cross over cable.

I agree now. It won't be too bad if the motherboard was not messed up.

Thanks again

JD

On 8/29/2012 4:55 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> I have an Advent computer (now 18 months old) and, after 18 months of
>> use, it went belly up, or almost. My Sony monitor began to flicker. I
>> also had a Samsung laptop and I was able to connect the Sony to it.
>> There as no flickering then, so the problem was in the Advent's
>> motherboard.
>>
>> My first thought was to use one of my older video cards but I wasn't
>> sure that I had the software. Besides, I had thought about using a
>> video card in Advent with a crossover cable but, when I found that
>> crossover cable, at both ends, it had a pin connection - 2 groups of
>> 9x9 pins and another spade-like "pin." The connection at the Samsung
>> and the Advent was 3 rows of 5 pin holes. That crossover cable had 2
>> "lumps" between the ends with DV0040. On the cable was written "AWM
>> E101344 style 20276 VW-1,80deg C,30V, DVI digital single link, ----- etc.
>>
>> Is there a crossover cable with 15 pins (3 rows of 5) on each end?
>>
>> Could you suggest a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> JVH

> Cross over cable? You do not need a cross over cable, that's for an
> ethernet connection -- and I don't think you need a cross over cable for
> anything anymore.
>
> You can get any software you need from the video card's manufacturer
> website, but video is not that big a deal and most video needs can be
> handled by the OS.
>
> In any case, video cables are standardized, so there are only two, and
> they are not interchangable. The video cable is defined by the shape,
> any cable that has the right shape is the right cable. You can go to
> pretty much any computer store and get a new video card, or just a
> cable. You tell the person, "I need a video cable for my monitor." Then
> you either say, "Thank you," or "I need the other one."
>
> It appears by your description that you have a DVI (Digital Video
> Interface) cable. This is the newest video interface, and I think it is
> not very popular. I have a couple of these cables, but I have no
> hardware to plug them into. That is, they came with monitors, but the
> computers do not accept them so I have to use the older RGB style cable.
>
> Are you trying to make the DVI cable fit a connector that is not a DVI
> connector? There is no adaptor for that. You must have a connector that
> supports the cable, else you cannot use the cable. Typically, the DVI
> cable can be removed at both ends -- the monitor end and the computer
> end -- and there is another connector on the monitor that supports the
> other style of cable (the RGB cable).
>
> You need a card that the cable can be connected to, and what you need is
> not a cross over cable.

Hello again Jeff,

It seems that my last post got lost. Here is my latest attempt:
have a sAMSUNG N150 and an Advent N150. The Advent Foxconn motherboard
now gives a flickering in my Sony monitor. I attached the monitor cable
to the N150 and there was no flickering, so the problem is with the
motherboard.

Now I want to connect these two so that I can see from one computer into
the other
and vice versa. It seemed that I needed to setup a video card in the
Advent and I
chose an ATI Rage 123 and had a struggle to put it in place. The slot in
the
motherboard was too close for comfort to the rear wall of the case and I
had to
squeeze the Rage into the slot. The Rage has 15 pin holes just like the
N150, so
I need a straight? cable to connect these two computers.

Next I would like to know if any program, apart from the Rage one, needs
to be
used for this system to work.

Thanks again

Paul

JD wrote:
> [...]

> now gives a flickering in my Sony monitor. I attached the monitor cable
> to the N150 and there was no flickering, so the problem is with the
> motherboard.
>
> Now I want to connect these two so that I can see from one computer into
> the other
> and vice versa. It seemed that I needed to setup a video card in the
> Advent and I
> chose an ATI Rage 123 and had a struggle to put it in place. The slot in
> the
> motherboard was too close for comfort to the rear wall of the case and I
> had to
> squeeze the Rage into the slot. The Rage has 15 pin holes just like the
> N150, so
> I need a straight? cable to connect these two computers.
>
> Next I would like to know if any program, apart from the Rage one, needs

I haven't seen a model number for the Advent yet. I don't think it's N150,
it's probably something else.

The Advent uses a Foxconn motherboard, and knowing the model number on
the Foxconn motherboard would help as well.

There are at least three video card slot types that could be present.
PCI, AGP, PCI-Express. Each has a different offset from motherboard
connector to the back of the case. If a card doesn't fit, chances are
you've got a mismatch, and are attempting to use the wrong card type.

That's why, before "ramming and jamming", we'd like as much model
number info (or pictures) as you can manage, so that we can see
what you're attempting to do.

The Rage 128 would likely be AGP. I think I might have one of
those here. Says here, it's a 3.3V AGP video card. If you jam that
in a 1.5V only motherboard, damage could result. So don't be
in too much of a rush just yet. The keying on the card, is intended
to prevent mating of inappropriate combinations (such as a 3.3v card
that will burn out a 1.5V only slot).

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

To "see into a computer", you can use tools like Teamviewer, to
make a remote connection over the network. So if the computers
both connected to a router or Ethernet switch (i.e. LAN connections
all working), then you can make a remote connection and view the
virtual desktop on a second computer. If the real video on
the broken computer is flickering, the virtual image obtained
by remote operation would be solid. But, if you wanted to play
video games, it just wouldn't perform worth a damn. You can do
simple things with a setup like that (email, Microsoft Office),
but for real work, you need a proper monitor connection locally
to the computer. So working on your Rage 128 project is a step
in the right direction. Remoting into a computer, is a pathetic
second choice.

It's a matter now, of determining the Foxconn motherboard model
number, so we can figure out what kind of video slot its got.
And using a picture of the case, we could determine if the case
is regular width (7" to 8" or so) or whether this is a slim or
tiny computer. For some of those, you need a "low profile" video
card. And in extreme cases (the smallest ATX case you can find),
only certain low profile cards fit, and even fractions of an inch
count on those. So if the Advent case is super-tiny, finding a
video card can be a pain.

Paul

JD

On 8/30/2012 1:45 PM, Paul wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> On 8/29/2012 4:55 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>>
>>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Cross over cable? You do not need a cross over cable, that's for an
>>> ethernet connection -- and I don't think you need a cross over cable for
>>> anything anymore.
>>>
>>> You can get any software you need from the video card's manufacturer
>>> website, but video is not that big a deal and most video needs can be
>>> handled by the OS.
>>>
>>> In any case, video cables are standardized, so there are only two, and
>>> they are not interchangable. The video cable is defined by the shape,
>>> any cable that has the right shape is the right cable. You can go to
>>> pretty much any computer store and get a new video card, or just a
>>> cable. You tell the person, "I need a video cable for my monitor." Then
>>> you either say, "Thank you," or "I need the other one."
>>>
>>> It appears by your description that you have a DVI (Digital Video
>>> Interface) cable. This is the newest video interface, and I think it is
>>> not very popular. I have a couple of these cables, but I have no
>>> hardware to plug them into. That is, they came with monitors, but the
>>> computers do not accept them so I have to use the older RGB style cable.
>>>
>>> Are you trying to make the DVI cable fit a connector that is not a DVI
>>> connector? There is no adaptor for that. You must have a connector that
>>> supports the cable, else you cannot use the cable. Typically, the DVI
>>> cable can be removed at both ends -- the monitor end and the computer
>>> end -- and there is another connector on the monitor that supports the
>>> other style of cable (the RGB cable).
>>>
>>> You need a card that the cable can be connected to, and what you need is
>>> not a cross over cable.
>>>

>> Hello again Jeff,
>>
>> It seems that my last post got lost. Here is my latest attempt:
>> have a sAMSUNG N150 and an Advent N150. The Advent Foxconn motherboard
>> now gives a flickering in my Sony monitor. I attached the monitor cable
>> to the N150 and there was no flickering, so the problem is with the
>> motherboard.
>>
>> Now I want to connect these two so that I can see from one computer
>> into the other
>> and vice versa. It seemed that I needed to setup a video card in the
>> Advent and I
>> chose an ATI Rage 123 and had a struggle to put it in place. The slot
>> in the
>> motherboard was too close for comfort to the rear wall of the case and
>> I had to
>> squeeze the Rage into the slot. The Rage has 15 pin holes just like
>> the N150, so
>> I need a straight? cable to connect these two computers.
>>
>> Next I would like to know if any program, apart from the Rage one,
>> needs to be
>> used for this system to work.
>>
>> Thanks again

Great to hear from you again Paul

> I haven't seen a model number for the Advent yet. I don't think it's N150,
> it's probably something else.
>
> The Advent uses a Foxconn motherboard, and knowing the model number on
> the Foxconn motherboard would help as well.

I just noticed the info on the Foxconn motherboard A74ML-K and another
UY31020023154

> There are at least three video card slot types that could be present.
> PCI, AGP, PCI-Express. Each has a different offset from motherboard
> connector to the back of the case. If a card doesn't fit, chances are
> you've got a mismatch, and are attempting to use the wrong card type.

There are spaces for 3 cards. The lower 2 are plain and identical. Both
have 2 slots, the one towards the back of the computer is 2.5" long and
the one towards the front is 0.5" long.

The top slot has a yellowish color with a 4" long slot. The Rage card
does not fill the complete slot. There is the usual hook device at the
front end of the slot.

> That's why, before "ramming and jamming", we'd like as much model
> number info (or pictures) as you can manage, so that we can see
> what you're attempting to do.
>
> The Rage 128 would likely be AGP. I think I might have one of
> those here. Says here, it's a 3.3V AGP video card. If you jam that
> in a 1.5V only motherboard, damage could result. So don't be
> in too much of a rush just yet. The keying on the card, is intended
> to prevent mating of inappropriate combinations (such as a 3.3v card
> that will burn out a 1.5V only slot).

This is where the Rage 128 card info is located:

C:\ATI\support\WXP_R128_6_13_3279

and the prog is: WXPR1286133279.exe

> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
>
> To "see into a computer", you can use tools like Teamviewer, to
> make a remote connection over the network. So if the computers
> both connected to a router or Ethernet switch (i.e. LAN connections
> all working), then you can make a remote connection and view the
> virtual desktop on a second computer. If the real video on
> the broken computer is flickering, the virtual image obtained
> by remote operation would be solid. But, if you wanted to play
> video games, it just wouldn't perform worth a damn. You can do
> simple things with a setup like that (email, Microsoft Office),
> but for real work, you need a proper monitor connection locally
> to the computer. So working on your Rage 128 project is a step
> in the right direction. Remoting into a computer, is a pathetic
> second choice.

Paul, I wish I had the time to get right into Teamviewer. Some day,
hopefully

> It's a matter now, of determining the Foxconn motherboard model
> number, so we can figure out what kind of video slot its got.
> And using a picture of the case, we could determine if the case
> is regular width (7" to 8" or so) or whether this is a slim or
> tiny computer.

Case is 7" wide.
Front to back is 17"
Height 14" to 15"

For some of those, you need a "low profile" video
> card. And in extreme cases (the smallest ATX case you can find),
> only certain low profile cards fit, and even fractions of an inch
> count on those. So if the Advent case is super-tiny, finding a
> video card can be a pain.

The interior is not so tiny. It's as big as any case I have used before.

> Paul

Thaaannnkkk you Paul

Paul

JD wrote:
> [...]

> Paul, I wish I had the time to get right into Teamviewer. Some day,
> hopefully
>
>> It's a matter now, of determining the Foxconn motherboard model
>> number, so we can figure out what kind of video slot its got.
>> And using a picture of the case, we could determine if the case
>> is regular width (7" to 8" or so) or whether this is a slim or
>> tiny computer.

> Case is 7" wide.
> Front to back is 17"
> Height 14" to 15"
>
> For some of those, you need a "low profile" video
>> card. And in extreme cases (the smallest ATX case you can find),
>> only certain low profile cards fit, and even fractions of an inch
>> count on those. So if the Advent case is super-tiny, finding a
>> video card can be a pain.

> The interior is not so tiny. It's as big as any case I have used before.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-186-188-Z03?$S640W$

( from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186188 )

That's a PCI Express slot. You don't put the Rage 128 in there!
The Rage 128 is a ten year old or so, card.

The two slots below that are regular PCI. While they make video cards
with PCI connectors (I have one), that's not a recommended solution.
The bus bandwidth available on a PCI video card, is so low, it causes
the screen to stutter occasionally (happened to me ). You want
that big PCI Express x16 slot for a video card.

You're going to need a newer video card of some sort. Time to dig
out your wallet.

*******

At least that picture answers another question I had. Your chipset heatsink
has no fan on it. So it's not like the chipset fan stopped spinning
and the chip overheated. It didn't have a 40mm fan on it to begin with.
The chip is 740G. I can't find a power number, but the suggestions are
it's reasonably low powered by Northbridge standards.

*******

You can get a video card for around $30 or so, in PCI Express format.

HD5450 family. Notice it has a VGA and a DVI connector on the faceplate.
You'll be using the VGA at the top of the faceplate, for your 15 pin (three row)
connector and cable. This particular card type, uses very little DC power,
and you can put cards of this type, into machines with just about any power
supply in them. Maybe a mini-ITX with PICO converter would have a problem,
but no regular ATX case should have a problem powering a puny thing like this
And graphically, it's probably a bit stronger than the 740G, but not by much.

Paul

> [...]

> now gives a flickering in my Sony monitor. I attached the monitor cable
> to the N150 and there was no flickering, so the problem is with the
> motherboard.
>
> Now I want to connect these two so that I can see from one computer into
> the other
> and vice versa. It seemed that I needed to setup a video card in the
> Advent and I
> chose an ATI Rage 123 and had a struggle to put it in place. The slot in
> the
> motherboard was too close for comfort to the rear wall of the case and I
> had to
> squeeze the Rage into the slot. The Rage has 15 pin holes just like the
> N150, so
> I need a straight? cable to connect these two computers.
>
> Next I would like to know if any program, apart from the Rage one, needs

I believe that what you really want is a video card to insert into the
motherboard, and then plug the monitor into the new video card.

You can jump through hoops if you want so that you have to use the laptop
and the desktop together to get a picture on the monitor, but if you spent
less than $100, you could simply plug a better video card than you had into
the motherboard, and be home free.

There is no such thing as a slot that is too close for comfort. They DESIGN
this stuff to fit into the space available, and the space is very small
sometimes, but it (whatever 'it" is) fits.

JD

On 8/30/2012 11:11 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> [...]

>> into the other
>> and vice versa. It seemed that I needed to setup a video card in the
>> Advent and I
>> chose an ATI Rage 123 and had a struggle to put it in place. The slot
>> in the
>> motherboard was too close for comfort to the rear wall of the case and
>> I had to
>> squeeze the Rage into the slot. The Rage has 15 pin holes just like
>> the N150, so
>> I need a straight? cable to connect these two computers.
>>
>> Next I would like to know if any program, apart from the Rage one,
>> needs to be
>> used for this system to work.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>

> I believe that what you really want is a video card to insert into the
> motherboard, and then plug the monitor into the new video card.

I found a video card that I had not used for about a year. It is a
Gigabyte AGP 8X. Other information the card is: FC Gigabyte GV-N66128DP.
and also on the card: SN0530000165, and 506242 and 00706 PT ICT FQC Lot
No. 6868-0 H4 506 2428. It also has a very big gold colored cooling fan
on the card.

I installed the Gigabyte AGP in the Advent computer and used a cable to
connect it via DVD-D connections to the Sony monitor. That cable has two
lumps in it and I am curious to know what that means. A second
connection on that AGP card has a 15 hole female socket, the same as the
one on the laptop. I also have a cable with 15 male pins at each end
and it has two lumps in that similar cable. Another reason why?

> You can jump through hoops if you want so that you have to use the
> laptop and the desktop together to get a picture on the monitor, but if
> you spent less than $100, you could simply plug a better video card than
> you had into the motherboard, and be home free.

What I would like to have the setup so that I could see into each
computer from the other one.

> There is no such thing as a slot that is too close for comfort. They
> DESIGN this stuff to fit into the space available, and the space is very
> small sometimes, but it (whatever 'it" is) fits.

Agreed. I had to do some filing on the L-shaped bracket to get it into
place.

Not much success so far.

Now I am exhausted..........My thanks to all