Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need advice on new computer for photo/video

Need advice on new computer for photo/video

Wolfgang Weisselberg

J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If Windows is crashing there is something wrong with the hardware. My
> Windows machines have not crashed in years.

My Granddad smoked like a chimney, and he died at 101 in a
traffic accident!
Smoking kills? You doctors and scientists just don't want to be
bothered with whatever really kills people. If someone dies from
smoking (or "cancer"), that just means that there was something
else wrong. One guy I recently found near dying had an unhealthy
diet containing too much unhealthy artifical colourations.
Changed that and he's been recovering and isn't sick any more.

> One that I built for
> someone a while back was doing so--I found that it had a bad stick of
> RAM, replaced that, and it hasn't crashed now in months.

> The trouble is that most technicians don't want to be bothered with
> finding the real problem so they just say "it's Windows".

The claim "if Windows crashes it's the hardware but *never*
Windows" is obviously wrong.

https://www.networkworld.com/supp/20...7-crashes.html
claims it's 70% 3'rd party drivers, 10%(!) hardware, 5%
Microsoft code[1] and 15% unknown.

https://support.dell.com/support/top...t?docid=543301
Guess Dell thinks windows crashes and it's not just hardware ...
OK, they support a few more computers than your handful, so they
may have a different view (and many more use cases) ...

Just food for thought.

Now, if *Linux* start to crash or freeze randomly, I'd be
suspecting the hardware or power company[2]. Or nVidia's
proprietary driver[3]. Or having an UPS with a completely
broken battery[4]. Or using a development kernel, not suitable
for production use (in which case it's all your fault!)

-Wolfgang

[1] Yes, 1 in 20 isn't that high, but certainly just a bit higher
than "never". If every 20st time your AF delivered way out
of focus pictures, what would you say?

[2] it wasn't random brownouts or similar, it was the HDD
(Firmware, I think) locking up, locking the PATA bus, first
every month or so --- damn annoying and not acceptable --- and
later nearly daily and finally sometimes even during booting.
The computer, waiting for swapped out pages to continue
loaded programs and not being able to load new programs, nor
write data, nor read any data, would sooner or later stall.
No screen saver activity, no getty ... pretty much dead.

Thanks to LVM, I could move off the data from the affected
disk without resorting to the backup when after some tries
booting succeeded.

[3] Freezes ever 2-3 weeks. Switching to the free & open nouveau
driver solved that.

[4] Random crashes every now and then. The UPS tries to
measure how good the battery is by momentarily switching
to it. The battery fails before the UPS can switch
back, the computer gets undervoltage and crashes/reboots.

Mayayana

| I have "collected" and host-filed a few URLs since reading the
| http://www.jsware.net/jsware/privacytips.php5
| page.

You mean the script? I keep a copy of that on
my Desktop, myself. So many ads come from
such a small number of ad servers that it's not
hard to eliminate 90% of them with just a few
domains blocked.

PeterN

On 9/1/2012 5:03 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> nobody is going to listen in on your phone calls unless they have a
>>> warrant, and they certainly won't listen in to target ads.

>> Do you read anything but these newsgroups?

> plenty.
>
>>> where do you come up with this stuff??

>> What rock are you living under?

> if you think someone is routinely listening in on every cellphone call
> then you're delusional.
>
> there is so much cellphone traffic that it would be impossible to do it
> anyway.
>
> nobody is talking about nsa snooping on possible terrorists, which is
> *completely* different.
>
> mayayana said 'a dozen companies listening in on my phone calls' just
> to show ads, which is something that isn't going to happen, period.
> it's ludicrous.

Tell me where I said that. BTW It has been done to others. I simply
value what remains of my privacy. If you think it isn't done, come out
from under your rock!!

--
Peter

PeterN

On 9/1/2012 5:03 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> so why bring it up?

>> Why did you?

> i wasn't the first person to mention wiretapping.

Oh?

--
Peter

bseshikala888@gmail.com

The Galaxy S2 was recently announced as

the manufacturer's best selling

smartphone, and is fast becoming the

handset of choice for those who are

looking for an alternative to the iPhone

4S.
..http://latestmobileforyou.blogspot.in/

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The Galaxy S2 was recently announced as

the galaxy s2 is *not* that recently, but more importantly, it has
absolutely nothing to do with this thread, you stupid spammer.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <504273ea$0$6379$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN

>> > nobody is going to listen in on your phone calls unless they have a
>> > warrant, and they certainly won't listen in to target ads.

>> Do you read anything but these newsgroups?

> plenty.

>> > where do you come up with this stuff??

>> What rock are you living under?

> if you think someone is routinely listening in on every cellphone call
> then you're delusional.

Every single phone call that's international.

But never mind, you're afraid enough to not even show a
semblance of a real name.

> there is so much cellphone traffic that it would be impossible to do it
> anyway.

You know, there's that new invention: "Speech recognition" and
that other new invention: "computer" that when put together, can
not only record all calls (due to the inventions "hard drive",
"storage system" and "data center") but can also listen in for
a huge number of keywords and then flag interesting calls for
human snooping.

> nobody is talking about nsa snooping on possible terrorists, which is
> *completely* different.

US soldiers, US journalists and US aid workers in e.g. in Baghdad
are obviously terrorists, because they *were* (and most probably
still are) snooped on when calling home. Even during phone sex
and when positively IDd as US citicens of such agencies.

BTW, at least 99% of the people snooped on by the NSA have no
connection to terrorism at all.

> mayayana said 'a dozen companies listening in on my phone calls' just
> to show ads, which is something that isn't going to happen, period.
> it's ludicrous.

Message ID and straight quote?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/27/2012 2:12 PM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peabody
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I understand what you mean about the angle of view of a
>>> laptop display. My current laptop certainly has that
>>> effect, but I didn't know if things had changed in the last
>>> five years, or whether it might be better with a 17-inch
>>> display. But from all the responses here, it doesn't look
>>> like things have improved in that regard. I could be wrong,
>>> but I don't think the problem is nearly as bad with a
>>> desktop monitor at an equivalent off-axis angle of view, and
>>> if that's true, I wonder why that is. Are the monitors
>>> built differently?

>> desktop displays do not need to run on batteries and don't have the
>> limitations a laptop display does. an ips display has a 179 degree
>> viewing angle and you won't notice a difference if you move your head.

>> laptop displays vary. they're almost never ips, and some change quite a
>> bit if you move your head and others very little. shop around and pick
>> a laptop with a good display.

> Laptop displays are designed with privacy in mind.

Nope. There have been IPS panels in some laptops, with their
inherent huge viewing angles and superior colour stability.

Additionally, there are privacy films with *very* small viewing
angles, only they give some semblance of privacy. Normal laptop
screens have way too wide viewing angles for privacy.

TN panels are cheaper and react faster (and have a very poor
viewing angle and colour stability over the viewing angles).
TN probably uses less power, though the backlight's what you
need to worry about (and hence LED-backlights to the rescue.
They're also thinner.) That's what's going on.

> If I am using my
> laptop in a public place I do not want you being able to snoop on my
> business. That is why they have a narrow angle of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ration...ing_excuses%29

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I currently have a desktop and a laptop, and have just
> gotten tired of trying to keep them synced. And, as a
> practical matter, they never really are synced.

You probably need some automated system to keep them synched.
That could be as easy as a NAS where you access all your data
from (i.e. everything stored in one place, not on the computer)
e.g. via CIFS/SMB. I understand "Windows Offline Folders" might be
able to keep a directory as a local copy and later synchronize it.

Then there is something like OpenAFS which would allow many servers
(not important to you) and client caches (to reduce network
load).

There's seems to be code for disconnected operation; however
there's no pinning (I want that cached for my disconnected
operation, no matter what!, you need to access the files) nor is
there a choice for conflict resolution (i.e. you change a file on
your laptop while disconnected and on the main computer: which one
is to be kept? (There is no ideal solution, but you could be asked
.... and the 'losing' file(s) could be copied to your local disk or
to the storage under a new name, so you can merge manually) ... and
I understand you have to actually tell AFS: "Please get ready for
disconnected operation", no automatic changeover is available.
Oh, and from what I read, your changes aren't kept over reboot,
so if you don't reconnect before a crash or reboot ... and that
doesn't work on Windows yet anyway. While we are at it, there's
no guarantee that the files in your cache are actually up-to-date.
At current, disconnected operation seems not to be viable for
normal end users. (I may be terribly wrong about the whole thing,
I'm just skimming the net here.)

(Coda would be an interesting choice, with automatic
disconnected mode and proper conflict resolution, but it's
not native to Windows. And it doesn't do chunks, only whole
files.)

On the other hand you could just use Unison as synchronizer.
That works file based and reasonably fast, it just has to be
triggered from time to time.

> I understand what you mean about the angle of view of a
> laptop display. My current laptop certainly has that
> effect, but I didn't know if things had changed in the last
> five years, or whether it might be better with a 17-inch
> display.

Depends on the display technology. VA and IPS are much better
than TN.
However, the larger the screen (given the same distance to
it), the wider the viewangle between center and left/right
border respective top/bottom border.

> But from all the responses here, it doesn't look
> like things have improved in that regard. I could be wrong,
> but I don't think the problem is nearly as bad with a
> desktop monitor at an equivalent off-axis angle of view, and
> if that's true, I wonder why that is. Are the monitors
> built differently?

Different technology in the display panel.

> 15-inch laptop. Except - there is also the difference
> between the 2-core i5 and 4-core i-7. Is that likely to be
> a noticeable difference?

Well, if you use AfterShot Pro (which uses all cores), you'll
be twice as fast[1] with a quadcore than with a dualcore,
assuming the cores are otherwise identical. They are not ...
i7 should be even better than i5.

I don't know if and how efficient other software uses multiple
cores.

-Wolfgang

[1] Well, almost. There's a little bit of overhead, but you
won't notice.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What a silly thing to say. Typical, but silly. Angle of screen
> changes things on all monitors.

Nope.
1. CRT
2. the question is, how much it changes for small and medium
angles[1]. There's a huge difference between TN and IPS or VA.

-Wolfgang

[1] like the one you incur when looking from the center to
one corner or moving your head a bit.