Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What makes a mac better?

Re: What makes a mac better?

tony cooper

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:55:10 -0700, "Frank S" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:10:09 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>[...]
>>
>> If he found them by Google, as he claims, it would hard not to know.
>>
>>>and how is 'boy' racial?

>> You gotta be kidding me. Just in case you've been living in a cave,
>> check #3 on this list:
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnic+slur
>>

>[...]
>Why isn't "honky" on this list? Or "gray", or "ofay"? Et cetera.

If you need a larger list:
http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

I have never heard or seen many, if not most, of the terms in that
list.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bruce

"Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For Windows and Linux users (or anything but Apple)
>the PC and the OS are not one thing. Many companies
>sell Windows PCs, built of mainly generic parts. 90+%
>of computers in use are running Windows. 6-7% are
>running MacOS. You can twist the facts any way you
>like to glorify Apple, but what's the point? Claiming
>that Apple sells more PCs than, say, HP doesn't give
>them a bigger market share.

Apple has a bigger market share than HP, and bigger than any other
computer manufacturer.

We get the point that you don't like Apple, OK? Your ever more
strident attacks on the company are as pointless as they are tiresome.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> This is a nonsense defense. You are attempting to blame Google for
> >> your own actions. Whatever Google turned up, it was *your* choice to
> >> use that as the target of your link. You saw what Google turned up,
> >> and made a deliberate and conscious choice to use it.

> >he searched for your name and found a mugshot of someone. that's all.
> >the guy happened to be black. he could have been white. he could have
> >been a she (toni cooper).

> But he chose a black criminal. His deliberate choice. No Google
> search of a name provides a mug shot of a black criminal as the only
> choice.

no, he chose a mugshot of someone with the same name as you.

*you* are turning it into a race issue.

> In fact, just for shits and giggles, I did a Google search of
> "Tony Cooper mug shot" and the first page of hits included a white guy
> from Kissimmee (which is in this area) who was arrested for battery.

so what?

should he go through the millions of hits *just* to find a white guy?

what's sad is how much you're making a big deal out of this is. truly
sad.

> >you're the one turning it into a huge ordeal. apparently, he hit a
> >nerve.

> I guess you could say that. I dislike racism, racial jokes, and
> racial innuendo.

most people do.

> >> It was *your* choice to name and use predominately black schools to
> >> reinforce your racial choice of images, and it was *your* choice to
> >> slyly slip in a racially inappropriate term ("boy").

> >how would he know what the racial makeup of schools he probably never
> >heard of is?

> Google "Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University and the blub
> says "Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, commonly known
> as Florida A&M or FAMU, is the nation's largest historically black
> university by enrollment"

so he should do an exhaustive check on every link prior to posting?

> FAMU has been in the news quite a bit lately due to the hazing death
> of a member of their marching band. Robert Champion's death by
> beating as an initiation ritual led to several follow-up stories on
> hazing practices at FAMU and other universities.

not where i'm at it isn't. i never heard of it before the other day,
and i'm sure i'm not the only one who has never heard of it.

> Google "Morehouse College" and the blub says "The only all male
> historically black institution of higher learning in the United
> States."

haven't heard of that one either.

> Morehouse College's drumline is famous and was the inspiration for the
> eponymous movie in 2002.
>
> Both colleges are more widely known than Reed College, the source of
> your "facts" about mobile phone preferences.

maybe where you live they are.

> If he found them by Google, as he claims, it would hard not to know.

it's just a mug shot. it doesn't have full demographic breakdowns of
where he's from.

> >and how is 'boy' racial?

> You gotta be kidding me. Just in case you've been living in a cave,
> check #3 on this list:
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnic+slur

so any time anyone says 'boy' it's racist? wow. just wow.

you're completely ignoring context and intent. you are desperately
trying to find malice where none existed.

"The use of 'boy' alone is not evidence of discrimination."

<http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?i...rcuit_Term_Boy
_Doesnt_Prove_Race_Discrimination&slreturn=2012072 9180757>

In an unsigned, unpublished opinion issued in 2005, the panel said,
"[w]hile the use of 'boy' when modified by a racial classification
like 'black' or 'white' is evidence of discriminatory intent ... the
use of 'boy' alone is not evidence of discrimination."

> >this says a *lot* more about you than it does about him.

> That you defend his boorish behavior doesn't reflect well on you.
> But, you need a supporter in this newsgroup he may be better than
> nothing.

that you're bashing him over this doesn't reflect well on you, at all.

PeterN

On 8/29/2012 1:32 PM, -hh wrote:
> On Aug 29, 10:02 am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You found:
>>
>>> "Evidently, you have not followed other threads in this newsgroup. It
>>> was a direct reference to another thread."

> Yes, and that was more most clear (thus indisputable) statement of
> your motivation.
>
>>> That was your admission of restarting it in this thread as part of
>>> your attempt to try to justify your choice of actions.

>> In an earlier post, I had written: "even things they have no
>> personal experience with."
>>
>> And you responded: "That's a broad statement, with no meaningful
>> accomodation". [sic}

> Better go back and look at the entire statement, not a cherry-picked
> excerpt.
>
> FYI while you're at it, you had better go find your old copy of the
> Harbrace College Handbook to relearn just how to properly quote text,
> to make sure that you weren't deceptive in your excerpt.
>
>> So I provided the basis for the statement about "no personal
>> experience". It has nothing to do with who started the mud slinging.

> Better go back and look at the entire statement in context again,
> Tony, for this was where you started it in this thread, and even
> called out the individual by name:
>
> "People who buy Macs tend to become evangelical about their choice.
> Mac-pimps like nospam automatically assume that Macs will be
> "best" ..."
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>> I don't deny that there's been mud-slinging. In some threads I've
>> probably initiated it, and in some threads nospam has initiated it.
>> It's been carried over from thread to thread.

> And my point was merely that you initiated the "mud-slinging" in this
> thread.
>
> Are you still denying this specifically?
>

>> You've cast serious doubt on your credibility, though, by making a
>> statement and not being able to back it up and attempting to pass off
>> something unrelated as "evidence".

> "People who buy Macs tend to become evangelical about their choice.
> Mac-pimps like nospam automatically assume that Macs will be
> "best" ..."
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Your first words in this thread, Tony.
>
> As much as you want to try to rationalize your actions in this thread
> based on alleged "past wrongs", the archives indisputably show that in
> this specific thread, you were the instigator.
>
> You can try another 100 ways to try to "Shoot the Messenger", but it
> really isn't my credibiilty on the line: you're trying to deny the
> content of your very own words, and that will never fly.

Strange: I Googled "Tony Cooper Florida;"

then "Tony Cooper Orlando"
And got different results.
If you are going to construct a defense, make sure the experiment is
repeatable.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 8/29/2012 3:00 PM, -hh wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2:27 pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> -hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry Tony, but you're trying to violate Occam's Razor.

>> Actually, I'm using the heuristic approach and applying Occam's Razor
>> correctly: the simpler explanation is usually the better explanation.

>> You have claimed that it is a series of happenchance Google landings
>> that resulted in what appears to be boorish and offensive racial
>> references and that the connections were coincidental. The simpler
>> explanation is that you knew what they were and knowingly used them.

> Countermanded by the PDF that showed what Google's first page search
> results are for a virgin account.
>

> -hh

As I said earlier, not duplicated.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:46:35 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Strange: I Googled "Tony Cooper Florida;"
>
>then "Tony Cooper Orlando"
>And got different results.
>If you are going to construct a defense, make sure the experiment is
>repeatable.

Did I turn out to be wanted in any state(s)?

It is amazing how many "Tony Cooper"s there are. However, I've never
met one. Of course, I've never been in jail and that seems to be the
likely place to find one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:21:18 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>...but what happens when you Google Tony Orlando?

Did that just dawn on you?
--

On Aug 29, 11:46*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/29/2012 1:32 PM, -hh wrote:
>

> > On Aug 29, 10:02 am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You found:

> > Yes, and that was more most clear (thus indisputable) statement of
> > your motivation.

> >> In an earlier post, I had written: * "even things they have no
> >> personal experience with."

> >> And you responded: *"That's a broad statement, with no meaningful
> >> accomodation". [sic}

> > Better go back and look at the entire statement, not a cherry-picked
> > excerpt.

> > FYI while you're at it, you had better go find your old copy of the
> > Harbrace College Handbook to relearn just how to properly quote text,
> > to make sure that you weren't deceptive in your excerpt.

> >> So I provided the basis for the statement about "no personal
> >> experience". *It has nothing to do with who started the mud slinging..

> > Better go back and look at the entire statement in context again,
> > Tony, for this was where you started it in this thread, and even
> > called out the individual by name:

> > "People who buy Macs tend to become evangelical about their choice.
> > Mac-pimps like nospam automatically assume that Macs will be
> > "best" ..."
> > * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^

> >> I don't deny that there's been mud-slinging. *In some threads I've
> >> probably initiated it, and in some threads nospam has initiated it.
> >> It's been carried over from thread to thread.

> > And my point was merely that you initiated the "mud-slinging" in this
> > thread.

> > Are you still denying this specifically?

> >> You've cast serious doubt on your credibility, though, by making a
> >> statement and not being able to back it up and attempting to pass off
> >> something unrelated as "evidence".

> > "People who buy Macs tend to become evangelical about their choice.
> > Mac-pimps like nospam automatically assume that Macs will be
> > "best" ..."
> > * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^

> > Your first words in this thread, Tony.

> > As much as you want to try to rationalize your actions in this thread
> > based on alleged "past wrongs", the archives indisputably show that in
> > this specific thread, you were the instigator.

> > You can try another 100 ways to try to "Shoot the Messenger", but it
> > really isn't my credibiilty on the line: *you're trying to deny the
> > content of your very own words, and that will never fly.

> Strange: I Googled "Tony Cooper Florida;"
>
> then "Tony Cooper Orlando"
> And got different results.

Not strange at all: different search terms deliver different
results.

> If you are going to construct a defense, make sure the experiment is
> repeatable.

Both of the above search term strings differ from what I said I used.

And FYI, I have verified that it is repeatable.

Here's the search results I reported the other day, done from a virgin
account that I named "test", which was consistent with my prior
statements:

http://www.huntzinger.com/usenet/ton...e%20Search.pdf

And here's a repeatability test for the above done today, done from a
virgin account that I named "repeat". Note that they're identical
hits in the same sequence order:

http://www.huntzinger.com/usenet/ton...rch-repeat.pdf

-hh

PeterN

The Sun rises?

--
Peter

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Windows is more secure, but it is far more frequently attacked than
> Macs, because Macs are not widespread.

How do you know Windows is more secure?
Can you prove that?

-Wolfgang