Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What makes a mac better?

Re: What makes a mac better?

tony cooper

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 03:49:55 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sep 1, 12:09*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:50:11 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Ask around the
>> >office and you'll probably easily find 30-50% of colleagues who have
>> >lost data in a 'home PC' hard drive crash.

>> It's your assertion that one-third to one-half of all home PCs
>> experience a hard drive crash?

>Nope. Try reading it again.

I'm trying to give you some weasel room, Hugh. I can arrive at "nope"
only when:

1. You can only easily find a third to a half of your colleagues who
have had a hard drive crash, but the other half to two-thirds remain
in hiding. Evidently, you are referring to some office situation
where your colleagues play hide-and-seek.

2. Your office setting is in Yeehaw Junction, Florida...the lightning
capital of the world, and your statement refers only to this group.

3. The vast majority of home PCs are owned by retirees and the
unemployed, so there is very small number of PCs owned by office
colleagues, and these people keep plugging their computers into the
220V outlet.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

-hh

On Sep 1, 9:10*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 03:49:55 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Sep 1, 12:09*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> It's your assertion that one-third to one-half of all home PCs
> >> experience a hard drive crash?

> >Nope. *Try reading it again.

> I'm trying to give you some weasel room, Hugh. *I can arrive at "nope"
> only when:
>
> 1. *You can only easily find a third to a half of your colleagues who
> have had a hard drive crash, but the other half to two-thirds remain
> in hiding. *Evidently, you are referring to some office situation
> where your colleagues play hide-and-seek.

Incorrect.

> 2. *Your office setting is in Yeehaw Junction, Florida...the lightning
> capital of the world, and your statement refers only to this group.

Incorrect.

> 3. *The vast majority of home PCs are owned by retirees and the
> unemployed, so there is very small number of PCs owned by office
> colleagues, and these people keep plugging their computers into the
> 220V outlet.

Incorrect.

-hh

Usenet Account

On 01/09/2012 6:49 AM, -hh wrote:
> On Sep 1, 12:09 am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:50:11 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Ask around the
>>> office and you'll probably easily find 30-50% of colleagues who have
>>> lost data in a 'home PC' hard drive crash.

>> It's your assertion that one-third to one-half of all home PCs
>> experience a hard drive crash?

> Nope. Try reading it again.
>

> -hh

I've been using PC's since the mid-1980's I've never had a harddrive
crash! I've replaced and cloned some that were starting to act up, but I
have never lost any data.

As Macs used the same type of hardware in terms of mechanics, the only
difference would be FAT tables, if a drive is going to die, it's going
to die!

nospam

In article <k1tav2$n3c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Usenet Account
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been using PC's since the mid-1980's I've never had a harddrive
> crash! I've replaced and cloned some that were starting to act up, but I
> have never lost any data.

you are *extremely* lucky and should go buy a lottery ticket, or you're
lying.

> As Macs used the same type of hardware in terms of mechanics, the only
> difference would be FAT tables, if a drive is going to die, it's going
> to die!

macs use standard off the shelf hard drives, but they do not use a fat
file system. they use hfs or hfs+, depending on how old the mac is.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2. Your office setting is in Yeehaw Junction, Florida...the lightning
> capital of the world, and your statement refers only to this group.

lightning is not a major cause of hard drive failures. in fact, it
probably causes no hard drive failures at all. a lightning strike will
normally affect the power supply of a hard drive, but not the hard
drive itself, so all you need to do is put it in a new enclosure.

tony cooper

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:38:39 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <k1tav2$n3c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Usenet Account
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've been using PC's since the mid-1980's I've never had a harddrive
>> crash! I've replaced and cloned some that were starting to act up, but I
>> have never lost any data.

>you are *extremely* lucky and should go buy a lottery ticket, or you're
>lying.

That's two of us, then, and I guess we have to split the lottery
winnings.

I've never even replaced a hard drive. I have, however, purchased new
PCs to replace an older PC. No replacement has been due to failure,
though.

--

On 01/09/2012 1:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:38:39 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <k1tav2$n3c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Usenet Account
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using PC's since the mid-1980's I've never had a harddrive
>>> crash! I've replaced and cloned some that were starting to act up, but I
>>> have never lost any data.

>> you are *extremely* lucky and should go buy a lottery ticket, or you're
>> lying.
>>

> That's two of us, then, and I guess we have to split the lottery
> winnings.
>
> I've never even replaced a hard drive. I have, however, purchased new
> PCs to replace an older PC. No replacement has been due to failure,
> though.

I have swapped out hard drives for bigger and faster ones, as
applications etc tend to be bloatware.

tony cooper

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:19:30 -0400, Usenet Account
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 01/09/2012 1:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:38:39 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> you are *extremely* lucky and should go buy a lottery ticket, or you're
>>> lying.
>>>

>> That's two of us, then, and I guess we have to split the lottery
>> winnings.
>>
>> I've never even replaced a hard drive. I have, however, purchased new
>> PCs to replace an older PC. No replacement has been due to failure,
>> though.
>>

>I have swapped out hard drives for bigger and faster ones, as
>applications etc tend to be bloatware.

In my own experience, a new computer is purchased to replace an old
computer when the new computer offers several upgrades from hard drive
size to processor speed and the cost is not significantly greater than
adding new components to the old machine.

--

On 01/09/2012 2:07 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:19:30 -0400, Usenet Account
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 01/09/2012 1:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> That's two of us, then, and I guess we have to split the lottery
>>> winnings.
>>>
>>> I've never even replaced a hard drive. I have, however, purchased new
>>> PCs to replace an older PC. No replacement has been due to failure,
>>> though.
>>>

>> I have swapped out hard drives for bigger and faster ones, as
>> applications etc tend to be bloatware.

> In my own experience, a new computer is purchased to replace an old
> computer when the new computer offers several upgrades from hard drive
> size to processor speed and the cost is not significantly greater than
> adding new components to the old machine.

True, I have found this upgrade cycle is shorter than the MTBF of any
computer I have owned.

--

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Windows is a good compromise between the walled garden of the Mac and the
> > anarchy of Linux.

> Mac's are not walled gardens. There are dozens of compilers and many
> IDE's for them, including Apple's Xcode.

and with those, you can write *anything* you want and nobody is going
to stop you.