Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Sort bookmarks

Reply
Thread Tools

Sort bookmarks

 
 
Wattsville Blues
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2004
How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.

Thanks.

--
Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...
--
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve IA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2004
Wattsville Blues wrote:
>
> How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
> option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
> actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...
> --


Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.

Steve
southiowa
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Reg Mouatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2004
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:03:51 +0000 (UTC), Wattsville Blues
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu? When I choose this
>option in the Manage Bookmarks part of Firefox, it has no effect on the
>actual menu accessibe from the broswer window.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Like painted kites, those days and nights, they went flyin' by...


There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.

Reg
 
Reply With Quote
 
*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:51:52 +0000 (UTC), Reg Mouatt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
>prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
>compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.


Precisely the reason why Firefox will never be more than a flea in the
browser market.

Relying on authors to write extensions and keep them update is sheer
folly. Especially when many of these things should be an integral part
of the browser.





 
Reply With Quote
 
Ranjit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Steve IA wrote:
> Wattsville Blues wrote:
>
>>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu?

>
>
> Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.
>


I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
sorted atall!!
Any clues?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
>>There was a 'Sort Bookmarks' Extension that worked with FF versions
>>prior to Version 1.0, which I know doesn't help you but it is not
>>compatible with this version - am hoping it gets updated.

>
> Precisely the reason why Firefox will never be more than a flea in the
> browser market.
>
> Relying on authors to write extensions and keep them update is sheer
> folly. Especially when many of these things should be an integral part
> of the browser.


Agreed.



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.768 / Virus Database: 515 - Release Date: 22/09/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve IA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Ranjit wrote:
>
> Steve IA wrote:
> > Wattsville Blues wrote:
> >
> >>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu?

> >
> >
> > Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.
> >

>
> I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
> The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
> When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
> unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
> sorted atall!!
> Any clues?


Mine work on the main FF window as well as the manage window. It can be
done. Except for the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder (which I drag-drop where
needed) all my bookmarks are stored in the From Internet Explorer
folder. Maybe that's the difference. Mine, in all places, are
numeric/alpha order with subfolders listed first then individual marks.
I'll keep looking to figure out how I did it.

Steve
southiowa
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve IA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Steve IA wrote:
>
> Ranjit wrote:
> >
> > Steve IA wrote:
> > > Wattsville Blues wrote:
> > >
> > >>How can Bookmarks be Sorted by Name in the menu?
> > >
> > >
> > > Bookmarks > manage bookmarks > View > Sorted by *.
> > >

> >
> > I too am facing the same problem and tried the above.
> > The bookmarks *do* get sorted but that is just in the manage window.
> > When I click on the bookmarks in the main FF window, they are still
> > unsorted. I also tried Right Click -> sort by Name, but they won't get
> > sorted atall!!
> > Any clues?

>
> Mine work on the main FF window as well as the manage window. It can be
> done. Except for the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder (which I drag-drop where
> needed) all my bookmarks are stored in the From Internet Explorer
> folder. Maybe that's the difference. Mine, in all places, are
> numeric/alpha order with subfolders listed first then individual marks.
> I'll keep looking to figure out how I did it.
>
> Steve
> southiowa



Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
Folder. This will sort as stated above.

Steve
southiowa
 
Reply With Quote
 
me@privacy.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:50:41 -0500, Steve IA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
>Folder. This will sort as stated above.


I have no problem sorting the bookmarks within a folder. What I'd
like to know is how to sort the folders. I have a lot and it takes
unnecessary time to find them all jumbled up.

Ben
 
Reply With Quote
 
Reg Mouatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:18:36 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:50:41 -0500, Steve IA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Open main FF window bookmarks. Right click on folder> click Sort
>>Folder. This will sort as stated above.

>
>I have no problem sorting the bookmarks within a folder. What I'd
>like to know is how to sort the folders. I have a lot and it takes
>unnecessary time to find them all jumbled up.
>
>Ben


I have been trying to trace where FF stores the bookmarks. Have
located
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.36d
where bookmarks.bak is kept and have tried cutting and pasting into
alphabetical order there but, although saved, this new created edition
reverts back. Someone with more knowledge than I will hopefully know
what I am not doing right and it's a long winded way of trying to
achieve something simple but such is life!!

Reg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Mozilla (Firefox 1.0 PR) DOES NOT SORT BOOKMARKS (& Lame SoundEffects)!!! John David Galt Firefox 3 10-09-2004 06:41 PM
Re: Mozilla (Firefox 1.0 PR) DOES NOT SORT BOOKMARKS (& Lame Sound Effects)!!! Chaos Master Firefox 0 09-29-2004 03:43 AM
Re: Mozilla (Firefox 1.0 PR) DOES NOT SORT BOOKMARKS (& Lame SoundEffects)!!! --BRIAN-- Firefox 1 09-29-2004 03:43 AM
Re: Mozilla (Firefox 1.0 PR) DOES NOT SORT BOOKMARKS (& Lame Sound Effects)!!! RAV Firefox 0 09-28-2004 09:46 PM
Ado sort error-Ado Sort -Relate, Compute By, or Sort operations cannot be done on column(s) whose key length is unknown or exceeds 10 KB. Navin ASP General 1 09-09-2003 07:16 AM



Advertisments