Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Nikon D5100 questions.

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Nikon D5100 questions.

 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2012
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:19:55 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >Not for phoning and texting. Well, maybe it'd have a onscreen or
>> >physical keyboard instead of having to press numbers for texting.
>> >And a larger screen. And probably a better and way larger archive
>> >of the texts you sent and received.

>>
>> My Pantech phone has a qwerty keyboard, and it was the cheapest phone
>> I could find. I've never had the desire to archive a text. What
>> possible future use would I have of a text that says the Pop Warner
>> football game my grandsons are playing in starts at 10:30 AM?

>
>that particular message you might not, but with other texts you might.


If and when I start receiving texts that I want to save, and my
current ability to archive texts is used up, I'll consider change.

>what's wrong with having a choice to save it?


I can currently save texts. In fact, they are saved until deleted.
The point Wolfwrong made was about additional archive space in case
what my phone can handle is not sufficient.

I just checked my phone and the last 10 texts I received are still
there. The oldest is from my son who asked me to go over to his house
and walk the dog because he and the family were over at the beach and
would be home late. That was sent Sunday. How long do you think I
should keep that in archive?

>> Like our friend "nohelp", you are basing my needs on your needs. It
>> doesn't work that way.

>
>it has *nothing* whatsoever to do with your needs, no matter how hard
>you try to twist it.


Yes, exactly my point. Glad you finally recognized it. You are not
considering my needs when you claim I am not current with technology.
Almost everything you bring up has *nothing* whatsoever to with my
needs.

>it has everything to do with pointing out the capabilities of various
>products, both software and hardware, with which you and others may not
>be familiar.


So, if you are not pointing out things that I should be interested in,
why are you pointing them out in replies to my posts? Why do you
consider me your conduit to the world in general?

Are you saying, here, that the other readers of this newsgroup are
ignorant and need your input to know what's current?

>> >However there are other uses, many of which you'll not 'get' unless
>> >you experience them or they are shown to you. Whether these use
>> >cases are important to you is quite another question, but that
>> >can only be answered once you grasp these use cases.

>>
>> I'm reasonably intelligent and reasonably well-read on currently
>> available applications. I don't know why you two think I'm not
>> capable of making decisions that work to my advantage.

>
>you are very ignorant of what smartphones, tablets and even macs can
>do, since you don't own any of them and have little reason to follow
>what apps are available. when the topic comes up, you repeatedly make
>mistakes in describing how they do work, reinforcing the fact you are
>ignorant about them.


You mean that I'm not right when I say that a tablet needs a long
extension cord to keep it plugged in when I travel? Or that the
finger holes in the rotary dial of a smartphone are too small for
adult fingers? Or that calls have to be placed through the operator?
Or that they now have tablet screens that aren't white letters on an
orange or green background? That you don't have to turn down the
corner of an ereader to mark your page?

Boy, have I got some catching up to do. They may even have color
screens by now.

>> I have one of those nagging voice devices in the car to help me locate
>> destinations, although she tells me far too often that she's
>> "recalculating". Most of the time, if I think it's necessary, I'll
>> have printed out Mapquest directions in advance. I occasionally
>> deviate from the route suggested, though.

>
>you must deviate more than occasionally if it's frequently saying
>recalculating.


Yes, I do. Some of us - not you, I understand - look for photographic
opportunities as we travel.

>> >However, in a phone they do make sense. Want to find the nearest
>> >library/parking area/donut shop/restaurant/... while away?

>>
>> The nagging voice thing in the car does that if I allow it to.
>> However, I generally pick donut shops and restaurants based on what I
>> see ahead of me when I'm hungry for a donut or a meal.

>
>what if you're not in the car?


Well, if I decide to walk to some destination far from home, I admit I
may have a problem finding a donut shop. I could always ask a cop,
though.

> and what if the better places are a little off the main road?


That's why I get the "recalculate" nag. I seldom stay on the main
road.

>and just how up to date is its database anyway? my old gps had a pretty
>good database for major cities but in rural areas it was woefully out
>of date. one time i picked a restaurant from the list and it turned out
>to be a used car lot.


See, that's the advantage of picking a restaurant by sight rather than
by device. One can usually tell the difference between a used car lot
and a restaurant by looking at it. You need a device to do that?

>> >> The Duck made the point of being able to upload a photo to Dropbox
>> >> using his phone. I have never taken a photo where there was any
>> >> urgency in uploading that photo to Dropbox; I wait until I get home.
>> >> If I was going to be away from home for a few days, I'd take my laptop
>> >> where I could do this.
>> >
>> >You don't need a laptop, go use an internet cafe.

>>
>> I don't think those places are available around here.

>
>they are.


So you know this area? I Googled for "internet cafe orlando". There
are only two hits with Orlando addresses: one in the tourist corridor
and one which is a restaurant and bar. The other hits are for other
towns, and most are gambling sites.

>> They used to be
>> around, but they've all closed because so many people have mobile
>> devices of their own.

>
>they haven't closed. in fact, more of them are opening, for the very
>reason you give - people have mobile devices of their own.


If you have your own mobile device, then why would you need an
internet cafe?

>chances are that most patrons, perhaps even all of them (other than
>you), have a wifi capable device in their pocket.


Oh, you're talking about places with free wi-fi access. That's
different. Free wi-fi access is available all over the place. Even
McDonald's and Burger King offer that. An internet cafe was a place
that provided a computer on a per hour basis for people who didn't
have a computer or an internet provider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_caf%C3%A9

"An internet café or cybercafé is a place which provides internet
access to the public, usually for a fee. These businesses usually
provide snacks and drinks, hence the café in the name. The fee for
using a computer is usually charged as a time-based rate."

Notice that Wolfwrong said "You don't need a laptop, go use an
internet cafe.". He's evidently living in some backwards third-world
place where people rent computers and internet time.

>people do *not* want to burn through their limited monthly bandwidth
>cap. instead, they visit a cafe or restaurant or book store or whatever
>that offers free wifi.


Who calls them "internet cafe"s? You are really behind times.

>heck, even my local grocery store offers free wifi.


Then, it's a grocery store, not an internet cafe.

>> The places around here that advertise as an "internet cafe" are all
>> gambling venues. I don't really understand what it's all about, but
>> there's some sort of internet gambling possible and most cities are
>> trying to close these operations.

>
>you must live in a really seedy area.


They are very seedy operations.

>> What's available in other states and cities, though, I don't know.

>
>or even your own city.
>
>is there not a starbucks or panera bread anywhere near you? it looks
>like there are quite a few.


Those are not internet cafes. Try to get with the times. Ask some
people in coach. Internet cafes went out with free AOL trial
coasters.




--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2012
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:01:33 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012.09.20 13:09 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> On 2012.09.19 17:58 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>>
>>>> And because they have no flow-rate control. And are wasteful because
>>>> you have to run the cold water also while running the hot until it's
>>>> hot.
>>>
>>> eh? Just run it at max hot and then adjust when the hot water
>>> arrives. Move shower lever.

>>
>> I'm afraid to. Too often, it's already in shower mode, so I have to be
>> very careful what I first do.

>
>A tentative turn on, move the lever if it's in the wrong position, then
>full blast hot. Wait, adjust.
>
>It's really not difficult.
>
>I do recall going a full week in different hotels each night and the
>room cleaner had left the control in the shower position in every
>case... (just the odds that they all had the same model shower control -
>the one with the integrated shower/bath lever at the bottom) but I've
>never been scalded.
>
>>
>> And that doesn't address the flow-rate control issue.

>
>Doesn't matter. You get what you get and it's wet.
>
>Nothing to get in a lather about. Well...


I manage the hot/cold thing in motel showers OK, but stayed in one a
while back where I couldn't figure out how to get the water to come
out of the shower head. It had one of those one-knob does everything
knobs. I was still dressed, and starting the water to let the water
get hot, and - naturally - got my shirt soaked when I finally figured
out to lift the knob.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2012
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:19:55 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >However, in a phone they do make sense. Want to find the nearest
>> >library/parking area/donut shop/restaurant/... while away?

>>
>> The nagging voice thing in the car does that if I allow it to.
>> However, I generally pick donut shops and restaurants based on what I
>> see ahead of me when I'm hungry for a donut or a meal.

>
>what if you're not in the car? and what if the better places are a
>little off the main road? you won't see them, and instead will end up
>at some dumpy fast food place with a giant sign that's visible for
>miles.
>
>and just how up to date is its database anyway? my old gps had a pretty
>good database for major cities but in rural areas it was woefully out
>of date. one time i picked a restaurant from the list and it turned out
>to be a used car lot.
>
>that can't happen with a smartphone. the database is *always* up to
>date, and better yet, you can access menus, read reviews, etc.


Well, if you are *really* up-to-date, and use the Apple maps app, you
could be directed to a restaurant in the middle of the ocean.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19672981

It seems the Apple map app has more holes in it than one would find in
a donut shop, but the donut shop might not be found.


Evidently, the Apple database is taken from the TomTom database which
is the type you say is woefully out-of-date. But, Apple managed to
lose quite a few major cities in the process.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...not-our-fault/


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >that can't happen with a smartphone. the database is *always* up to
> >date, and better yet, you can access menus, read reviews, etc.

>
> Well, if you are *really* up-to-date, and use the Apple maps app, you
> could be directed to a restaurant in the middle of the ocean.


yes, they screwed up with their new map engine.

apple says it's a 'work in progress.' i say it was released prematurely.

meanwhile, iphones with ios 5 and earlier still work as expected since
they use google's map data.

or, use a third party gps navigation app, which has its own map data.

it's nice to have choices.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100? Ron Digital Photography 6 01-22-2013 12:16 AM
Re: D3200 vs D5100 David Taylor Digital Photography 0 01-18-2013 08:53 PM
Re: Nikon D5100 questions. PeterN Digital Photography 0 08-25-2012 04:01 PM
Re: Nikon D5100 questions. me Digital Photography 0 08-25-2012 01:12 AM
New Nikon D5100 bests D7000 for video eNo Digital Photography 0 04-08-2011 12:20 PM



Advertisments