Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The Darkness decends

The Darkness decends

Gib Bogle

On 31/08/2012 12:02 a.m., Seagull wrote:

> On a lighter note?
> http://dottech.org/miscellaneous/779...-order-parody/

That's great!

peterwn

On Aug 27, 7:38*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
> company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
> would side with Apple.
>
> I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
vehicle.

peterwn

On Aug 25, 1:09*pm, PeeCee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...G-NEWS-Samsung...
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology..._id=5&objectid....

Let there be Light! Google in its shining armour is riding in to
subdue Apple using the Motorola patents.

Gordon

On 2012-09-01, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 7:38Â*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
>> company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
>> would side with Apple.
>>
>> I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

> That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
> infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
> vehicle.

Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.

victor

On 1/09/2012 4:57 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-09-01, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Aug 27, 7:38 pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
>>> company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
>>> would side with Apple.
>>>
>>> I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

>> That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
>> infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
>> vehicle.

> Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.

http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/...-alphabet.html

victor

On 1/09/2012 6:22 p.m., victor wrote:
> On 1/09/2012 4:57 p.m., Gordon wrote:

>>> That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
>>> infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
>>> vehicle.

>> Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.
>>

> http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/...-alphabet.html

Imagine we were just developing spoken language for the first time. And
someone came up with a new word to describe an action, thought, or
feeling - like “magnify” or “dreadful.” But in this strange world, the
person who came up with the word demanded anyone else who used it to pay
him a dollar every time the word was uttered. That would make it pretty
difficult for us to negotiate our way to a society that communicated
through speech.

That’s the way the patent wars on smartphone and tablet advances are
beginning to feel to me.

As a human being, I do not particularly care about Apple’s recent
victory in the US version of its patent lawsuit against Samsung for
copying its iPhone and iPad’s form and features. Now that Apple is
demanding that Samsung pull eight of its products off the shelf, my only
personal interest is whether the Samsung products, once banned, will
become collectors’ items. Will I one day want to show my grandchild the
phone that dared to mimic the iPhone?

But while the details of legalities and impact to share prices and even
consumer choice don’t keep me or any of my friends up at night, there
is nonetheless something creepy about Apple’s suit. It’s not so much
that Apple - the biggest company in the world - has turned into a
competitive monster; it’s the territory that Apple’s fighting over. It
feels as if the technology innovation wars are no longer over one piece
of technology or another, but over us humans.

It’s one thing for Apple to defend the look and feel of its phone -
things like the little button on the bottom, which are apparently
obvious but actually the result of a lengthy and painstaking design
process. They may deserve a few years exclusive on stuff like that.

But when it comes to gestures, such as the now ubiquitous “pinch and
zoom” technology through which users stretch or shrink pictures and
text, well, that no longer feels quite the same. They are gestures that
may have begun on the device, but which have become internalized, human
movements. When my daughter was three I used to watch her attempt to
enact those same swipes and stretches on the television screen - a
phenomenon so prevalent that many television dealers now keep a supply
of Windex handy to clean their giant flat screens of children’s
fingerprints on a regular basis.

That’s because these gestures are not simply technological innovations,
but the language through which we humans are coming to navigate our way
through the emerging digital landscape. We take to gestures and
movements that grow out of the ones we use here in the real world. To
translate them into the digital realm well requires skill, but the
gestures themselves are not the typical territories - like land masses -
over which corporations have traditionally fought. They’re inside us.

Usually, advancements of this sort are developed through consortia of
companies. The HTML standards through which the Web is rendered are not
owned by a single company, but developed together and used by everyone.
Imagine if one musical instrument company owned the patent on the piano
keyboard, and another on the tuning of a violin. Or what if every
typewriter company had to develop its own layout of letters? What if
blowing one’s nose into soft disposable paper were owned by Kleenex?

While Apple deserves to be rewarded for the innovations it comes up
with, there’s a limit to how far into our learned behaviors that the
company should be awarded protection from competitors. Our transition
toward a digitally functioning society is no less momentous than the
shift from grunters to speakers, or from speakers to readers and
writers. As such, it will require an equally cooperative spirit from the
people and companies who take us there.

Donchano

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 18:28:29 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 1/09/2012 6:22 p.m., victor wrote:

>>> Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.
>>>

>> http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/...-alphabet.html
>>

>Imagine we were just developing spoken language for the first time. And
>someone came up with a new word to describe an action, thought, or
>feeling - like “magnify” or “dreadful.” But in this strange world, the
>person who came up with the word demanded anyone else who used it to pay
>him a dollar every time the word was uttered. That would make it pretty
>difficult for us to negotiate our way to a society that communicated
>through speech.

Especially if you give me a penny for your thoughts and I give you my
two cents worth.

Gib Bogle

On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tent-case.html
>

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10829382

It's ironic that once naive people thought of Apple as the good guy
versus the Microsoft bad guy.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <k1saqv$52p$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
>>

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...msung-ordered-
>pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10829382
>It's ironic that once naive people thought of Apple as the good guy
>versus the Microsoft bad guy.

All the big guys are bad guys (or will become bad guys). Should go without
saying ... but as you suggest, it often doesn't.

D70 Darkness! Help! PJC Digital Photography 10 06-16-2004 12:04 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Shrapnel DVD Video 2 06-26-2003 06:24 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Jay G DVD Video 0 06-25-2003 11:53 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Kevin DVD Video 2 06-25-2003 01:12 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? JWB DVD Video 0 06-23-2003 03:51 PM

Advertisments