Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Apple camera coming?

Re: Apple camera coming?

PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/28/2012 2:21 PM, John McWilliams wrote:

>>> Context, including your positions.
>>>
>>> My original statement was that Apple monitors are not suitable for
>>> serious photo work.

>> It truly depends on the nature of the work, the sophistication of the
>> photographer, work flow, and so on. Under many circumstances, lots of
>> decent monitors can be used to no detriment to the final output.
>>

> True. The current Apple monitors are glossy. For me the reflections are a
> distraction and inhibit correction in the shadow areas.

Just apply an anti glare screen protector. That is what we do for the
iPhones...

PeterN

On 8/28/2012 7:58 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It truly depends on the nature of the work, the sophistication of the
>>> photographer, work flow, and so on. Under many circumstances, lots of
>>> decent monitors can be used to no detriment to the final output.
>>>

>> True. The current Apple monitors are glossy. For me the reflections are a
>> distraction and inhibit correction in the shadow areas.

> Just apply an anti glare screen protector. That is what we do for the
> iPhones...

Thanks, but an Apple or any monitor with a glossy screen is not on my
radar. I am getting the NEC and will keep my Viewsonic as a 2nd monitor.
I am not in a hurry, but am waiting until after PhotoExpo in NY.

--
Peter

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:40:43 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> there are over a billion phones. just how many batteries do you think
>>> get sold?

>>Over a billion. Ever seen a mobile phone without one?

> See
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...y-UK-firm.html

"one minute of cranking will allow for four minutes' talk time."
=> it has some sort of energy storage.

"TCL says that because the new device charges the battery
directly," => that energy storage *is* a battery. Straight from
the horse's mouth.

Better luck next time ...

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Dudley Hanks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Dudley Hanks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> For instance, give me a Sony MP3 player, anyday, over an IPod. The sound
>>> is
>>> vastly better, and I can set the menu items independently (after a brief
>>> session or two with a sighted helper).

>> Well, Rockbox (available for different hardware, including some
>> from Apple) can speak menus and so on and (with a little help)
>> song titles and folders ...
>> http://www.rockbox.org

> Thanks, Wolfgang, that looks like its worth a second glance.

> I think the kids have some old IPods kicking around they're no longer using.
> I might see if there is one of the listed models in the pile and try it out.

I use Rockbox with an iriver H120 --- you can even upgrade
the HDD to an CF card or an SSD (though you have to flash the
Rockbox firmware in that case, overwriting the original.
Normally, you just change the loader a bit and it either
loads Rockbox from disk or the original firmware from the
inbuild flash firmware storage.)

-Wolfgang

Mort

nospam wrote:
> the only way to recharge it would be to remove the battery and charge
> it externally. the problem is that phones do not come with an external
> battery charger, so you are screwed.

You are screwed only if you choose to be.

There are inexpensive aftermarket external battery chargers available,
and I in fact have one.

Mort Linder

nospam

In article <504253c4$0$9818$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > the only way to recharge it would be to remove the battery and charge
> > it externally. the problem is that phones do not come with an external
> > battery charger, so you are screwed.

> You are screwed only if you choose to be.
>
> There are inexpensive aftermarket external battery chargers available,
> and I in fact have one.

except those chargers are not included. that's the whole point. plus,
you'd need a different charger for every phone because the batteries
are all different.

there are also aftermarket batteries for the iphone too.

Mort

nospam wrote:
> except those chargers are not included. that's the whole point. plus,
> you'd need a different charger for every phone because the batteries
> are all different.

I have one cellphone, as do many people, so one external battery charger
is enough. In addition, inasmuch as Li ion batteries may rapidly
discharge, I always carry a fully charged spare battery with me.

Regards,

Mort Linder

nospam

In article <50426bd5$0$1229$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > except those chargers are not included. that's the whole point. plus,
> > you'd need a different charger for every phone because the batteries
> > are all different.

> I have one cellphone, as do many people, so one external battery charger
> is enough.

right, but when you get a new phone you'll need a different battery
charger because the battery will be different.

it wasn't that long ago that you would have needed a new charger for
the phone itself, but they've standardized on a power connector now.

> In addition, inasmuch as Li ion batteries may rapidly
> discharge,

they don't rapidly discharge if you aren't using them. self-discharge
is relatively slow.

> I always carry a fully charged spare battery with me.

you should get a phone with a battery that lasts longer.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:04:17 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:40:43 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

>>> See
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...y-UK-firm.html

>>"one minute of cranking will allow for four minutes' talk time."
>>=> it has some sort of energy storage.

>>"TCL says that because the new device charges the battery
>>directly," => that energy storage *is* a battery. Straight from
>>the horse's mouth.

>>Better luck next time ...

> I suppose an electrolytic capacitor is a battery.

No, but irrelevant.

-Wolfgang