Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JOGL, Java3d, or other?

JOGL, Java3d, or other?

Daniel Pitts

I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch

I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the
hobby project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice
to have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.

What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
continued development of the core of the library.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel.

markspace

On 8/23/2012 10:55 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
> experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch
>
> I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
> home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
> have is what would be a good first library to jump into?

I haven't used any 3D library myself, so I can't say for certain, but
I've done some research and jMonkey is the one I would pick.

http://jmonkeyengine.com/

Jeff Higgins

On 08/23/2012 01:55 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
> experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch
>
> I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
> home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
> have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the hobby
> project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice to
> have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
> suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.
>
> What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
> continued development of the core of the library.
>

> Any suggestions appreciated.

jMonkeyEngine?

Daniel Pitts

On 8/23/12 11:58 AM, markspace wrote:
> I haven't used any 3D library myself, so I can't say for certain, but I've done some research and jMonkey is the one I would pick.

Yes, this looks very promising. Thanks to both of you!

markspace

On 8/23/2012 4:54 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:

> On 8/23/12 12:02 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>> jMonkeyEngine?

> Yes, this looks very promising. Thanks to both of you!

One thing about jMonkey is that it is two projects: ones a helper/IDE,
and one is just the open source. jMonkeyEngine.com is the IDE helper
part, and http://jmonkeyengine.org/ is the open source project.

Joerg Meier

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:55:58 -0700, Daniel Pitts wrote:

> I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
> experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch

> I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
> home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
> have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the
> hobby project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice
> to have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
> suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.

> What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
> continued development of the core of the library.

> Any suggestions appreciated.

You could check out the one Minecraft itself uses, LWJGL.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.