Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Digital vs film

Re: Digital vs film

Ryan McGinnis

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Alfred Molon wrote:

> I had a chat today with a young lady who has studied photography. She
> mentioned that nowadays there is a trend among, how to say, let's call
> them "high end photographers" to use film instead of digital, because
> supposedly with film you can do things you can't with digital.
>
> To me this sounds a bit like those purists who use vacuum tube
> amplifiers instead of solid state ones, because as far as I know
> anything which you can do with film can be done with digital. Supposedly
> film is more tolerant for overexposures, but with digital you can for
> instance use HDR to extend the dynamic range. And all other colour and
> exposure effects should also be doable with digital, shoudln't they?

Digital is superior to film in almost every way. However, film offers a
"look" that is difficult to replicate faithfully using digital post
pressing. Film is also really fun if you grew up using it. It
certainly makes you think a lot harder knowing that you only get 10 clicks
of the shutter before you have to reload.

Ryan McGinnis * * * * * *(E-Mail Removed) * * * * ** *@bigstormpicture
Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT * * * *Images@AGE http://bit.ly/w4EuWB
The BIG Storm Picture: *http://bigstormpicture.com * *PGP Key: 0x65115E4C

nospam

In article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1208221911190.9478@ryan-BigStorm>, Ryan
McGinnis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Digital is superior to film in almost every way.

correct.

> However, film offers a
> "look" that is difficult to replicate faithfully using digital post
> pressing.

it's not that difficult. there are even plug-ins that give you the look
of particular films with a click.

> Film is also really fun if you grew up using it. It
> certainly makes you think a lot harder knowing that you only get 10 clicks
> of the shutter before you have to reload.

nothing stops someone from thinking before shooting with digital. if
you want to shoot only one digital photo rather than dozens, you can.

the thing is, you *can* shoot dozens with digital if you want to, and
you might get a few keepers rather than just one.