Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > Arctic MC101: A Trinity Powered HTPC

Arctic MC101: A Trinity Powered HTPC

Becky Becky is offline
Administrator
Becky's Avatar

Bjorn 3D have reviewed the Arctic MC101: A Trinity Powered home theatre PC - here's a snippet:

Quote:
"HTPC used to be about the size of a VCR machine, big and bulky. However, as with any computing device, it is getting more powerful yet its size keeps shrinking. We have already reviewed the Zotac Zbox AD02 Plus U and Sapphire Mini Edge, each about the size of a novel, so small form factor HTPCs are nothing new. While the size of these systems are impressive, they are simply not powerful enough for slightly more demanding tasks. Atom and Brazos are designed for low power consumption, as opposed to performance so for demanding tasks such as video transcoding or heavy multi-tasking will ultimately drag the system down and let you feel that you want something faster. The small form factor PC needs a better CPU and the latest AMD Trinity may just fill that role.

We received the Artic MC101, a small form factor system that is marketed as an HTPC and not a desktop replacement. Despite its small size, do not think that this system is as slow as other small form factor PC. The brain that powers the Arctic MC101 is AMD’s latest A10-4600M APU, a much more powerful CPU than Brazo or Atom. Codenamed Trinity, the latest APU maybe designed toward notebooks with its 35W TDP but it may just be what HTPC users are looking for because of the perfect combination of a good CPU and GPU performance at a low power consumption. Trinity may not deliver the best benchmark scores but it is certainly fast enough for HTPC and its integrated HD 7660G delivers the best integrated GPU performance we have seen for a mobile chip. Such a good combination allows system builders to construct a small system without the need for any additional chips. So we have high hope with the MC101."
You can read their full review here.